Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Service from Amazon is crazy [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Like I said above, I don’t feel like I need it.

But I’m not opposed to it outright. I happen to have a personal relationship with everyone who delivers packages to my house. I train BJJ with the postal worker and the UPS guy, and I surf with the Fed-Ex guy.

My front door is never locked anyway.

So you're ok with the federal government having a key to your front door? /pink... kind of.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: New Service from Amazon is crazy [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that you mention it, this dude is kinda weird.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But I’m not opposed to it outright. I happen to have a personal relationship with everyone who delivers packages to my house. I train BJJ with the postal worker and the UPS guy, and I surf with the Fed-Ex guy.

I prefer this approach. We have a good relationship with a lot of the people who regularly deliver or do some type of service around our house. Just getting to know someone makes a differenc. At my in-laws summer house we get a lot of delivery's for work and personal stuff. The fedex guy makes it his last stop so he can come in and chat (sometimes stays for a cigar) and our kids know him by name. He's found spots to stash deliveries for us in the off season. Trash guys get drinks on hot days, sometimes hot chocolate in the winter. Cans are almost always neatly placed back by the house and I don't think they've ever not taken something.

I wouldn't be comfortable with Amazon having access to entry to my home though. Not so much for the person who was delivering, more of the "what could go wrong" with this information.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: New Service from Amazon is crazy [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I generally make a point to be friendly to what I call the “non-hired” help, ie: trash pickup guys, delivery guys, meter readers, etc. (as opposed to “hired” help like cleaning ladies and yard maintenance, who I’m also nice to).

I try to acknowledge them (at least) and strike up conversation when appropriate. I leave gifts at Xmas time.

I’m actually pretty nice to almost everyone I interact with. I just have no patience for the selfish or the easily offended.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: New Service from Amazon is crazy [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been in the package delivery services for several years and there is a great deal of customized delivery instructions requested by recipients, this would work for some.

Signed notes on the front door asking to put delivery thru bathroom window, in recycling trash container, to use the back door, and in some customers have worked out handshake deals with drivers to open doors and leave packages inside.

The potential for a Substitute delivery person to get "curious" and go thru your pill and inflatable doll collection is very real.
Quote Reply
Re: New Service from Amazon is crazy [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuckyLo wrote:
I've been in the package delivery services for several years and there is a great deal of customized delivery instructions requested by recipients, this would work for some.

Signed notes on the front door asking to put delivery thru bathroom window, in recycling trash container, to use the back door, and in some customers have worked out handshake deals with drivers to open doors and leave packages inside.

The potential for a Substitute delivery person to get "curious" and go thru your pill and inflatable doll collection is very real.

I'm with the others who say I wouldn't be overly concerned with the Amazon delivery guys during a normal delivery. The video would let me know if anything was amiss, and then it's easily tied right back to the driver on duty and Amazon for resolution.

I'd be more concerned that the software would lend itself to hacking/stealing, and then delivery personnel or hackers would figure out how to leave the camera off, access your house even when there's no deliveries, enter without leaving any logging data, etc.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: New Service from Amazon is crazy [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
My concern wouldnt be with delivery guys. My concern is this getting hacked allowing thieves access. I think a better solution is to implement this tech on a lock box you can put on your porch.

That seems like a lot of effort to go through to break into a house, surely the old fashion ways would be easier.
Quote Reply
Re: New Service from Amazon is crazy [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or no effort at all...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
orphious wrote:
My concern wouldnt be with delivery guys. My concern is this getting hacked allowing thieves access. I think a better solution is to implement this tech on a lock box you can put on your porch.

That seems like a lot of effort to go through to break into a house, surely the old fashion ways would be easier.

If you can hack the software so that you are able to quickly access the home of anyone subscribed to this service, without destroying anything or leaving obvious signs, and you have access to Amazon's database of who has the service, and you can build a device with the right software to turn the locks on and off, then it would seem a lot easier to rob a lot of homes fairly quickly.

Maybe more work on the front end, but probably worth the effort.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: New Service from Amazon is crazy [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
jriosa wrote:
Would I have to lock up the Rottweiler?

It might be fun to order some dog bones and watch the guy try to get past my two starving labradors...
This.

What's really going on here is that a cabal of brilliant dogs have managed to insert this scheme into the stream of Amazon proposals. It's cleverly coached as customer service, but the real target "customer" is large protective dogs. This will be the greatest entertainment spectacle since "Christians vs. Lions".

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just get Amazon to deliver to my office.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Simple solution is for all new houses to have a room built into them with a "front door" and then another locking door that leads into the house. Amazon lock on the front door, regular lock on the second door. They leave the package in the amazon room, you use the regular door to retrieve the packages. Could be retrofit into current garages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
orphious wrote:

That was my thought. Isn't a front door already pretty hackable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I wouldn’t use it where I live because there’s almost no chance of anything getting stolen where I live (and from where packages are left at my house) but if I lived in an area with a theft problem I’d certainly consider it.

They already have special package boxes that can only be accessed by the delivery personnel that you leave outside.

A lock box, if you will...

Everything old is new again.

I live in a 3 story apartment building that was built in the 1920s. If I go to my porch I can still see the small door that leads into the kitchen. It’s painted over, and doesn’t open, but this where the ice men used to deliver ice.
Quote Reply
Re: New Service from Amazon is crazy [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
orphious wrote:

That was my thought. Isn't a front door already pretty hackable?

Yes. Anyone that really wants to come in a door is probably going to be through it in 20 seconds. I'm trying to wrap my head around the "why" of this service. Maybe Amazon sees theft from porch pirates as a real threat to their bottom line. You add this service along with the lockers and you've reduced your ROI. Now if you couple this service with food delivery from whole foods or Amazon Pantry it starts to make more sense.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: New Service from Amazon is crazy [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amstel wrote:
Where I live, porch pirates are a legitimate concern. There needs to be a safe delivery option. Not sure open access housing is the answer.

Not for the delivery guy if you own a German Sheppard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So now I’m starting to think amazon just floats these ideas (like drone delivery and this latest one) just get everyone talking about amazon.

Free advertising.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: New Service from Amazon is crazy [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
Yeah I've been hearing about this and saw a commercial today on the news. Not sure how the hell anyone would let a stranger unlock their house and come in. I'm out on this service.

Ditto. I have everything delivered to work.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Service from Amazon is crazy [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
Duffy wrote:
I wouldn’t use it where I live because there’s almost no chance of anything getting stolen where I live (and from where packages are left at my house) but if I lived in an area with a theft problem I’d certainly consider it.

They already have special package boxes that can only be accessed by the delivery personnel that you leave outside.

A lock box, if you will...

Everything old is new again.

I live in a 3 story apartment building that was built in the 1920s. If I go to my porch I can still see the small door that leads into the kitchen. It’s painted over, and doesn’t open, but this where the ice men used to deliver ice.

Milk delivery.
Quote Reply

Prev Next