Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apparently American Airlines is no longer a safe space
Quote | Reply
http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/25/news/companies/naacp-travel-advisory-american-airlines/index.html NAACP tells Black People to be careful about flying American. I think NAACP is losing it.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Oct 25, 17 4:46
Quote Reply
Re: Apparently American Airlines is no longer a safe space [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/25/news/companies/naacp-travel-advisory-american-airlines/index.html NAACP tells Black People to be careful about flying American. I think NAACP is losing it.

I was the contract vendor general manager overseeing an American Airlines ground handling operation that ranged from 44 to 50 flights daily. My people did all the "below wing" loading, unloading, cleaning and servicing of AA's planes, and I worked closely with the "above wing" (ticket agents, gate agents, managers and general managers, etc.) AA people at that station. I know the AA culture pretty well. I can tell you that it's the farthest thing from what the NAACP is implying. A few things:

#1. The NAACP looks to me as if it's trying to stay relevant in this postmodern era.

#2. The NAACP also likes to squeeze large corporations for guilt money payoffs, much as Jesse Jackson and his Rainbow Coalition frequently do.

#3. AA is the largest airline in the world and it processes millions of travelers yearly, many of whom will invariably not be pleased with the level of customer service they receive.

I'm not saying that what the NAACP is complaining about absolutely didn't happen, but as an airline manager I've personally seen race get injected into a less-than-positive experience on the part of a customer and the airline. It just happens sometimes.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Apparently American Airlines is no longer a safe space [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the article, the NAACP started off their new travel advisory "service" in August by warning black people about traveling to Missouri. The entire State.

This kind of stuff is ridiculous. They apparently cite about 4 incidents, without dates or specifics or evidence, and paint the company as having a negative corporate culture toward race. American Airlines flies something like 200 million passengers per year. 4 is simply not a significant number.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Apparently American Airlines is no longer a safe space [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the reason for your existence is "a problem", then it's very important for the problem to stay on the skyline. If the problem wanes, so do you.

"NAACP, keeping racism alive since 1909". -unknown.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Apparently American Airlines is no longer a safe space [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
If the reason for your existence is "a problem", then it's very important for the problem to stay on the skyline. If the problem wanes, so do you.

"NAACP, keeping racism alive since 1909". -unknown.

What did all of us learn in our patrolling classes? Never EVER skyline yourself. One day, those NAACP folks are going to learn that. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply