Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pioneer power question
Quote | Reply
My stages has a split in it and while it's still working I'm thinking the inevitable will happen so I'm looking at a pioneer right hand side for now and eventually the left too. Right hand side just for something different compared to left only, but I was hoping someone could help out with a few questions.
Firstly it's going on a di2 trek speed concept with ultegra 6800- if I upgraded to 8000 with the pioneer put on would di2 need to be adjusted etc? Arw the dimensions and bolt pattern the same with 6800 and 8000? Are chain rings easy to replace on the 8000? Or is it easier to stay with 6800? I'm reluctant to send it off every time I wear through the chain rings. Anyone had clearance issues with the latest speed concept?
Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer power question [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
I'm reluctant to send it off every time I wear through the chain rings.
Cheers

My word, how many kilometers per year are you riding? Even at 10,000km per year if you keep a good chain on you ought to have many years per chain ring change. You'll probably be ready for the next greatest thing in power meters by then too.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer power question [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well since 2014 in May till now, I have been through 3. I know, not a lot, but it's still a la N to send them off if it can be done yourself without having to recalibrate etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Pioneer PM on my di2 speed concept, ultegra 6800. No clearance issues whatsoever. I have been very happy with the power meter. Sorry, I don't have any experience with the 8000. Happy mashing!
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer power question [CamCom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CamCom wrote:
I have a Pioneer PM on my di2 speed concept, ultegra 6800. No clearance issues whatsoever. I have been very happy with the power meter. Sorry, I don't have any experience with the 8000. Happy mashing!

What size SC and crank length do you have?

OP - while you may get lucky, if you check out the speed concept thread, I think you'll find the official word is that the pioneer will -not- usually work with the Trek SC. Most folks do find they have clearance issues, and even Carl (former resident trek rep) said no go.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer power question [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh wow. I didn't know that was an issue. My SC is a medium frame with 170 cranks. I bought the bike used and moved the crankset over from my old bike. The guy I bought it from had a 170 ultegra 6800 with stages power meter. Since I've been training off my numbers on the Pioneer, I just swapped them to keep it consistent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the 170's bring the sensor far enough forward that it misses the chainstay, dunno.... But yeah, it was discussed before and Carl said they don't clear the chainstay.

This thread:
Official Speed Concept Owners Thread

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5541986#p5541986
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Oct 25, 17 10:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Guess I better tell the wife I need a new bike to use my power meter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CamCom wrote:
Interesting. Guess I better tell the wife I need a new bike to use my power meter!

Exactly!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had to check mine out. Never noticed how close it is. I've done plenty of low cadence, heavy load mashing on it and haven't had any rubbing.
Last edited by: CamCom: Oct 25, 17 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a medium with 170 cranks too. The stages has heaps of clearance I'm surprised that the pioneer seems quite a bit thicker. That looks close!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not answering your original question, but I have 3 bikes on their original chainrings. All have over 20,000 miles. If you've workout 3 sets in 3 years, something seems amiss.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer power question [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Not answering your original question, but I have 3 bikes on their original chainrings. All have over 20,000 miles. If you've workout 3 sets in 3 years, something seems amiss.

Agreed.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer power question [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your probably right, not sure what though. New chain with new chainrings, di2 is super quiet, no rub or anything. I was doing a fair bit of low cadence/high force workouts for a while, although I doubt that would create any extra wear? not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what you mean about sending it off for the chainrings. I believe the power meter is attached the crank arm, not the rings. I have the DA 9000 version of the Pioneer power meter on mine and swapping the rings is just as it would be without it on there. I swapped out the inner ring by myself in a few minutes. Is the 8000 version different?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How often do you change your chain? A worn chain will destroy a chainring pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer power question [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the right hand side power needs chainring removal. I'm talking dual power here. And apparently there are very minor differences in spacing between the 8000 and 6800 so id probably stick to 6800. But it seems you can take the meter off and do it yourself I found out. Also it seems after a bit of homework you need 10.5mm clearance between the left leg crank and seat stay, so ill look when I get home.

And to the poster above, yep always add a new chain with chain rings. Rear cassette I don't though. I prob should.
Quote Reply