Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fast Forward F6 WheelSet - used (what do I need to consider?)
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I found a F6 WheelSet fro $300 Canadian - used

Any suggestions on what I need to look for in a used Carbon Wheel?
Indicators of the wear and tear?

Want to look at it, but not sure what I should be looking for as indicators.
Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Forward F6 WheelSet - used (what do I need to consider?) [schag001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great price! If real.... (I had a knock off set of ffwd once upon a Time so I'm familiar with them)

What hubs?

Are you able to demo?

Can you post pics?
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Forward F6 WheelSet - used (what do I need to consider?) [tickyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply.

The ad reads "FFWD carbon race wheel set 58 mm deep, used only for racing (made in China) used for Ironman whistler, they help! Full carbon clincher, compatible with 10/11 speed cassette. Just wheels, no cassette or tires

Asking $300, could through in Swissstop flash pro yellow carbon brake pads extra $20"

Does this mean they are knock-off's?
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Forward F6 WheelSet - used (what do I need to consider?) [schag001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the made in China is a giveaway...

Also, the hubs appear to be novatec 271 based on the pics but hard to confirm. That's the basic entry model of hub from overseas wheelsets.

Fwiw I sold mine last year after a season of use for $300. I think I bought around $360 (CDN) so not a terrible loss. Wheels could have used a slight truing but buyer was aware. Otherwise worked well for me!
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Forward F6 WheelSet - used (what do I need to consider?) [tickyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the insight.

So those would not be true FFWD wheels...but a knock off.

Strange all the stuff that exists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have F6 in the disc version. They are hand built in Holland. China would be knock off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one is relatively easy: They are Chinese clinchers! I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but you just need to know what you're looking at.

For Starters, and as another poster above pointed out, the hubs and spokes are usually the first place to look.

Take a look at the hub and spokes on a real F6R here (link below). The spokes are silver Sapim (I think) and the Hubs are clearly DT-Swiss.
http://www.ffwdwheels.com/wheel/f6r-ffwd/

Now, let's compare with a Chinese special version (link below)! Notice in the picture that the knock off is using wide, flat bladed, and black color spokes. Also notice the flanges on the Novatec hubs. These two things are very easy to compare with the real deal.

https://ca.dhgate.com/...EAh2_lhoCfQsQAvD_BwE

Clearly, the pictures you've provided show the flanges of a Novatech hub, and wide, flat bladed spokes. Therefore, it's almost certainly a fake.

For knock-offs, $300 still isn't necessarily a bad deal, but it depends on your perspectives on these kinds of things.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Forward F6 WheelSet - used (what do I need to consider?) [TOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TOTRI wrote:
I have F6 in the disc version. They are hand built in Holland. China would be knock off.

The knock offs say handbuilt in Holland as well. Clever!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tricky Indeed.
Quote Reply