Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hunting by Fat Tire Bicycle????
Quote | Reply
So got back from an unsuccessful fall turkey hunting trip thinking about how to go about getting to and from my hunting spots each day. Long story but I inherited a Honda SXS that my Dad and I used elk hunting but I wanted an ATV to downsize a bit since I didn't need that much machine (no longer elk hunting.) After putting about 5 miles on the ATV over my 3 day hunt I was thinking about using a fat tire bike instead. No registration fees, less maintenance costs, and quieter going into the woods in the morning.

The plan would be to get a fat tire bike, a trailer or sled to pull behind, and a gun mount. I like the Felt Outfitter, but at nearly $5k I would like to spend a bit less than that, and I really don't need the electric function since the area is pretty flat.

Anyone have a setup they like they can share, and offer recommendations on what to look for, and what to look out for? I saw Rambo Bikes out of Apple Valley, MN has a camo fat tire bike, an off road trailer, and gun mount all through them, but I have no experience with the brand and reputation.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunting by Fat Tire Bicycle???? [jimmyn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you already have a mountain bike, why not buy one of these and attach it to the back?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whilst riding the bike make sure that you are wearing a brown coat and have antlers on your head. You know, to lure the deer.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never done it, but I have heard these guys make great hunting fat bikes

http://cogburnoutdoors.com/

EDIT: Oops, didnt realize they closed their doors.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Oct 24, 17 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the older fat bikes, like the original Pugsley and the ones by Framed & Charge, absolutely suck for trail riding because of self-steer, weight, and their sluggishness. However, since some of them have rack & fender mounts and your goal is to haul stuff and they have the ability to do that & have room for the beefy tires and can be found at a deal, it's something that should be great for your purposes, particularly since a better-steering fat bike will be more sluggish when you load it up anyway. I.E. Those bikes sucked if your comparison was trail bike to fat bike or racing fat bike to those, but for your purposes there should be little difference between the Felt and one of the ones I mentioned. Just know that any fat bike can be challenging in particularly deep, loose snow, so consider that.

In a couple of years when my youngest is in school and easier to take care of, I'm planning to get back into trout/steelhead fishing & camping trips and will likely grab a fat bike for that purpose since the prime spots I fish are generally quite a hike and I'll use it deer hunting as well.

jimmyn wrote:
So got back from an unsuccessful fall turkey hunting trip thinking about how to go about getting to and from my hunting spots each day. Long story but I inherited a Honda SXS that my Dad and I used elk hunting but I wanted an ATV to downsize a bit since I didn't need that much machine (no longer elk hunting.) After putting about 5 miles on the ATV over my 3 day hunt I was thinking about using a fat tire bike instead. No registration fees, less maintenance costs, and quieter going into the woods in the morning.

The plan would be to get a fat tire bike, a trailer or sled to pull behind, and a gun mount. I like the Felt Outfitter, but at nearly $5k I would like to spend a bit less than that, and I really don't need the electric function since the area is pretty flat.

Anyone have a setup they like they can share, and offer recommendations on what to look for, and what to look out for? I saw Rambo Bikes out of Apple Valley, MN has a camo fat tire bike, an off road trailer, and gun mount all through them, but I have no experience with the brand and reputation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might want to look at mountaineering/ice climbing uses - i know there are climbers who are kitting out fat bikes essentially as 'approach vehicles' to get through the back country to base camp faster. their needs would be fairly similar to yours, i guess.

for trailers, i've used a bob yak for years and am constantly amazed at how much abuse it takes. the off-road version (the ibex) has suspension. not sure about disc/fatty compatibility but . . . there you go.

good luck,
-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There a few videos on YT with bike mods for bows & guns. Haven't looked at it for a while since most of the land I hunt is rough as shit and it's 10x easier to just walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, you need a semi-auto rifle to hunt poor, defenseless turkeys. Now, you need a fat bike. Where will it end with you people?!

The Founding Fathers are rolling over in their graves!!!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Hunting by Fat Tire Bicycle???? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
First, you need a semi-auto rifle to hunt poor, defenseless turkeys. Now, you need a fat bike. Where will it end with you people?!

The Founding Fathers are rolling over in their graves!!!

There were only penny farthings when the constitution was written. Nobody needs a fat tire bike.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply