Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best short for the trainer
Quote | Reply
I just did a purge of shorts/bibs and need to get a new pair of shorts for this winter's trainer sessons. Looking for something that is more durable than what my club uses. Anyone have a brand they recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Best short for the trainer [pauljra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pauljra wrote:
I just did a purge of shorts/bibs and need to get a new pair of shorts for this winter's trainer sessons. Looking for something that is more durable than what my club uses. Anyone have a brand they recommend?

Owing in no small part to a heavy portion of Scottish genetic matter in my DNA, when I train in the privacy of my own home I wear my old bibs that are no longer appropriate for public usage i.e. they're too transparent. Obviously if you're training with a group this isn't going to work for you.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Best short for the trainer [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Owing in no small part to a heavy portion of Scottish genetic matter in my DNA, when I train in the privacy of my own home I wear my old bibs that are no longer appropriate for public usage i.e. they're too transparent. Obviously if you're training with a group this isn't going to work for you.

YMMV,

Hugh

I think I got a saddle sore from reading this post.
Quote Reply
Re: Best short for the trainer [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
sciguy wrote:

YMMV,

Hugh

I think I got a saddle sore from reading this post.

Hey in my experience the lycra dies long before the chamois. I've not had a saddle sore in decades but perhaps it's just my tough Scottish taint;)

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:

Different approach, but similar recommendation. On the trainer, my objective #1 is staying cool. So my solution is to wear the liner shorts that come with MTB shorts. They are very thin and/or have mesh in many of the non-crotch parts, which allows for better heat dissipation. My current favorite is the Patagonia Dirt Craft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the other guy said, whatever nasty-ass shorts are too blasted for public viewing. Plus a glob of SkinSake or whatever crotch lube is your personal toast of the town.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its funny the lycra quitting was the reason for me getting rid of my old ones. The lycra got too loose and started rubbing between the side my saddle and thighs and caused some unpleasant chaffing.
Quote Reply
Re: Best short for the trainer [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HVP wrote:
[On the trainer, my objective #1 is staying cool. So my solution is to wear the liner shorts that come with MTB shorts. They are very thin and/or have mesh in many of the non-crotch parts, which allows for better heat dissipation. My current favorite is the Patagonia Dirt Craft.

Why have I never thought of this? I have two mesh liners from MTB shorts that would be a big improvement over just wearing my cheapo trainer shorts.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Best short for the trainer [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the best bibs for trainer. If I'm going to be sitting for hours I want to be comfy.
Rapha lightweight bibs are my go-to as they are very breathable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently picked up the Desoto 400 mile short. Super comfortable. I wear them for 1-1:30 hr trainer rides and love them.
Quote Reply
Re: Best short for the trainer [new_trimes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are these shorts comfy on a tt saddle?

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually switch out the saddle at home for the winter -- an old hybrid comfort saddle. as long as my shorts are relatively seam-free, i don't wear special bike shorts.

however -- i just use an old, old pair of bike shorts when i do use anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Best short for the trainer [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playero wrote:

Not to be snarky at all, but: I don't feel like I've ever had shorts that make an (otherwise uncomfortable) saddle comfortable. Your saddle should be decently comfy in gym shorts if it and you are setup correctly, imo.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Best short for the trainer [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion yes. I use them on my ISM tt saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Best short for the trainer [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
playero wrote:

Not to be snarky at all, but: I don't feel like I've ever had shorts that make an (otherwise uncomfortable) saddle comfortable. Your saddle should be decently comfy in gym shorts if it and you are setup correctly, imo.

I am well set up on my bike however riding many road bibs on my TT saddle and it gas never felt pleasent after a while but any time i ridden my TT bike with a triathlon specific trisuit then it has all been a peachy!

Maybe my taint is just delicate but if not tri specific chamois it is a torture after 45min or more!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to melt the Scottish snowflake, but my Sicilian taint must be equally iron. :) Many of my indoor rides are sub-60 min, so it does not seem to matter - from a comfort POV - how old / nasty / transparent my shorts are. But there are epic indoor rides that *require* an appropriately excellent bib short. Sufferfest 4DP, I'm looking at you.
Quote Reply