Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Xterra maui update?
Quote | Reply
Sounds like there are some fun weather systems rolling through the island right now. Anyone on the ground who may have some insight?

Looking forward to the race!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra maui update? [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as of an hour ago (maui time) power was out on the whole island.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra maui update? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how the course is holding up...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - looks like the whole of the Hawaiian Islands are getting pounded by a major storm.

My wife who's is still there (leaving to come home today) just sent along a wild picture from Dig Me Beach in Kona this morning. I've posted a link up on a separate thread!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
considering last year it was mostly steady/light rain in the days leading up and the course was horrific...i'd guess it's in real bad shape this year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Year before last it was quite wet until a couple of days before the race. Rode the course for practice on Wednesday prior and had a torrid time. Fortunately two days of dry weather and the course became rideable.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Oct 24, 17 21:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Storms were pretty intense last night. I'm guessing that the bike course is pretty wet. I saw a bunch of riders on highway 30 today when I was driving around.

There is a brown water alert for the island so we shouldn't be swimming

I'm going to look at the run course tomorrow and see how it is.

I'm glad I brought some mud tires with me :O
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra maui update? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the swim course today. Hopefully it calms down a bit by Sunday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's very much how I remember last year looking! Wearing my floaty shorts in order to not drown did cross my mind!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like 2' to 3' shore break, you could be on the other side in about a minute and swimming in clean water. Might get a wake up if you accidentally catch one unawares at the end, but it will just dump you onto the sand. Or you could catch it on purpose and save 30 to 45 seconds, whats not to love???
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra maui update? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a little bit bigger than you describe. I'm a pretty confident swimmer but I've never been in waves like that before and I'm not sure I want to, even during a race.

It's much calmer today and hopefully the rain has stopped as well. It's 7:50 am here and finally sunny :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll say that when I was there last year, I was amazed at how even some of the most experienced triathletes I knew (including the pro field!) had little to no idea how to navigate shore breaks. That was pretty much my only advantage coming from Virginia Beach and otherwise growing up surfing.
I may or may not have accidentally body surfed on somebody back into shore on race day though. Whoops.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Looks like 2' to 3' shore break, you could be on the other side in about a minute and swimming in clean water. Might get a wake up if you accidentally catch one unawares at the end, but it will just dump you onto the sand. Or you could catch it on purpose and save 30 to 45 seconds, whats not to love???

Tree foot, bruddah.

Haole go in dat he die.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
It was a little bit bigger than you describe. I'm a pretty confident swimmer but I've never been in waves like that before and I'm not sure I want to, even during a race.

It's much calmer today and hopefully the rain has stopped as well. It's 7:50 am here and finally sunny :)

What waves?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply