Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I've made a huge mistake.. help?
Quote | Reply
So I just signed up for a 10K ocean swim in the Caribbean (super small race).

I'm not a strong swimmer - usually in the 25-27 min range for an Olympic, but I'm comfortable in the water. That was on swimming 2, sometimes 3 times per week about 2,000 meters per session. So not a lot of volume.

I have ~12 weeks to get ready for this and just started swimming again after 5 months off to focus on cycling. I'm on a HIM plan that incorporates the BarryP system (meaning I run 6 days a week), 3-4 rides per week, and 3 swims per week (total of around 8,800 meters/week).

My goal is to do well, but this swim is definitely not an A race for me.

Couple of questions:

- any particular swim sessions/emphasis I should keep in mind - I follow the Tower26 workouts. Do I need to add any longer intervals?
- There are two categories - unassisted and assisted. If I can wear a wetsuit I think I'll go assisted but any concerns with being in a wetsuit in the Caribbean for 3+ hours?
- any other words of wisdom from those that have raced that distance for training or day of?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: I've made a huge mistake.. help? [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start ramping the volume! Re wetsuit, you could wear a pair of core shorts to get most of the flotation benefit without risking overheating by wearing a wetsuit. You could really get dehydrated badly in a wetsuit for that long if the water is 80 or higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are going to take someone that provides kayak/boat support for yourself...that's not likely provided by the race itself??

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: I've made a huge mistake.. help? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
You are going to take someone that provides kayak/boat support for yourself...that's not likely provided by the race itself??

it is almost for sure a requirement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume assisted means you'll have a kayaker? You should do that. Frankly, I'd be a bit nervous if I were you if they would actually let someone do this unsupported with a thin swim resume. Do the swim but be sure not to let loose rules allow you to get yourself in over your head.

The serious swimmers will be doing this in 2:30 or so and they can get by with a couple gels stuck in their suits and wing it on fluids. You could be swimming for almost 4 hours. You're going to need some fluid which is hard to carry and some food. While you might be able to tow something, why not get someone to carry it for you?

As for training, up your volume and frequency. I would also suggest upping your intensity too. Rather than simply slogging away for endless swims, I would suggest mixing in some long sets of 200's (e.g. 10 or more) and play with the rest intervals. Do those at higher than your planned race pace. This is a great way to train plus it is a bit of a mental challenge. On that note, skip the stuff that makes workouts less boring. You need to work on your boredom tolerance ;-)

You should also be doing some 5 or 6k workouts, if not longer (with intervals, they don't have to be straight). Partly for conditioning and partly to get used to the mental drain of swimming for a couple hours. Doing only 2000m workouts than swimming a 10K is like trying a century if you have never ridden longer than 15 miles. You may very well make it, but you'd just have no idea at all what you were getting yourself into and probably be pretty miserable.

Here are some tips

https://swimswam.com/7-ways-to-prepare-for-a-marathon-open-water-swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
protection from the sun should also be a priority

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: I've made a huge mistake.. help? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh yeah, definitely. There are lead and trail boats, and then every swimmer gets a kayak with them. They also have people on jet skis patrolling.
Quote Reply
Re: I've made a huge mistake.. help? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good stuff, thanks. The support kayak each swimmer gets can carry nutrition so I'll make sure to stock up.

Funny I didn't even think about needing to hydrate because the distance is so different than anything I've done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you done saltwater swims before?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I've made a huge mistake.. help? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

yeah, but just up and down the beach, maybe 1,000 m or so a few times. The ocean/waves/current don't freak me out much and I know that they can beat you up.. I'm comfortable in the water and having the support boats will be a nice safety blanket. I'm more concerned about the heat and distance..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigredrude wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

yeah, but just up and down the beach, maybe 1,000 m or so a few times. The ocean/waves/current don't freak me out much and I know that they can beat you up.. I'm comfortable in the water and having the support boats will be a nice safety blanket. I'm more concerned about the heat and distance..

And the sharks, don't forget about the sharks.
Quote Reply
Re: I've made a huge mistake.. help? [Dominion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a hard and fast rule that you are not allowed to mention sharks or crocodiles before any swim races.

That being said, the swim for IM South Africa starts at Shark Rock.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BRD,

I have kayaked for someone doing the swim around Key West, and it is no joke. It’s a bit longer than 10K, but same concept.

1) Be careful with the wetsuit. The Caribbean is never cool. Depending on the location, you will greatly risk overheating. If you are in the northern Caribbean, maybe, but I have never felt the need to use a wetsuit in any swim here in the Dominican Republic. Maybe look the the ROKA Sim shorts, but I don’t recommend a wetsuit unless the temperature will be in the low 70s.

2) Body glide or any other lube will be your best friend. Holy hell, the Caribbean is salty. You need to be prepared for that, or you will have open sores from chafing at the 5K mark.

3) sunscreen is your other best friend. Get some good water proof stuff on your calves, ears, and upper back. Be careful with too thick of a coat of zinc-based blocker. That stuff clogs your pores, preventing your skin from breathing, leading to overheating. Also, don’t get any of it on your goggles, or you will be screwed.

4) speaking of goggles, have an extra pair in your kayak

5) communicate your plan with your kayaker ahead of time. This sounds like common sense, but you would be surprised. Do you want your kayaker to stop you at certain intervals for nutrition or go by feel? If you start veering off course, do you want the kayaker to notify you? If so, how? Lots of things to discuss. It is much harder if your kayaker does not speak your language.

6) Make sure your kayaker has sufficient water and food for their part. If you are going with a local kayaker, they may not have that and show up with only a bottle of water. Don’t be a dick. Take care of your kayaker.

https://www.endurancelab.fit
https://www.teamodz.com
https://discuss.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Re: I've made a huge mistake.. help? [Dominion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dominion wrote:

And the sharks, don't forget about the sharks.

What about hurricanes, jellyfish, and krakens?

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
But seriously, jellyfish can be a concern....there have been attempts at the Cuba to Fl swim that were called off just miles from finishing due to the jellies. That would be an argument for a thin wetsuit with maybe the thicker neoprene swim jammers.

I believe my local reality has been violated.