Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

20107 Austin 70.3
Quote | Reply
Any idea on what the water temps are in Long Lake? I'm coming in from out of town and just checked the weekend forecast. The overnight low in Austin is supposed to be 42 degrees. I personally love the cool temps, but am fearful that Ironman in typical fashion will find any reason to it can to cancel the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: 20107 Austin 70.3 [jbailey500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has been in the high 80s and 90s much of October with only a few cool nights, so the water is likely well into the 70s just now. I would not expect it to drop much at all since the daytime highs this week are mid 80s and the lake is very shallow.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it's chilly in the morning but gets quite warm in the afternoon, and the sun warms the water much better than night air cools it. Can't imagine the swim would be cancelled for anything short of ecoli or similar.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: 20107 Austin 70.3 [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim was canceled at this race last year due to heavy fog. You couldn't see the buoys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 20107? Might be hard to predict weather that far out.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: 20107 Austin 70.3 [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just landed in Austin — anyone on ST trying to buddy up to cruise the bike course? I’ve heard bad things about the road conditions, but want to get some eyes on the ground before I pass judgement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should feel great race morning. Air temps high 40's, water temp low 70's. Pretty much ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: 20107 Austin 70.3 [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm showing that the highs the days before the race are in the mid 60's. You still think the water temps are going to be in the 70's? I will be signing up today with the deal from the cancelled NOLA 70.3. Going to sign up no matter what. But I have a feeling it will be a chilly morning both in and out of the water. It's looks like it's going to be a really comfortable day once the sun really gets up though.
Quote Reply
Re: 20107 Austin 70.3 [ttam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttam wrote:
Just landed in Austin — anyone on ST trying to buddy up to cruise the bike course? I’ve heard bad things about the road conditions, but want to get some eyes on the ground before I pass judgement.

I read all the same things you probably have read last year before I did the race. MY advice, QUIT BEING WIMPS AND LEARN TO RIDE OVER BUMPS. There's sections of chip-seal, but it isnt bad. Any seriously rough sections of the road are on uphill corners when you aren't going fast anyways.

Drive the course and figure out where the rough sections are. There aren't many, and if you don't know about them beforehand it isn't a huge deal but better to know ahead of time. I ran latex tubes, 25mm Conti TTs at 90/95psi (140 lbs) and I had a very smooth ride.

The bike course is fast and fun. Hammer it and lean into those turns. The corners are banked, so you can really push it.
Quote Reply
Re: 20107 Austin 70.3 [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly...I did this race last year and was pretty much expecting the bike course to be more cyclocross than tri. I kept waiting for the "horrific" road conditions but they never came. Don't get me wrong, the road is definitely not smooth, but I thought it was no big deal at all. In fact, of the 6 HIM's I've done my bike PR was set on this course. Suck it up and enjoy the day. You'll be more concerned about how you can't feel you hands or feet in the 40 degree weather anyways...
Quote Reply
Re: 20107 Austin 70.3 [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rode the route two weeks ago and yes in the first 15 miles (can’t remember exactly) there is a strip of rode that have a lot of cracks (bad).

Wondering about the water myself since not using a wetsuit. Currently swimming in 75 degree water but worried about a “lake” temp vs a outdoor pool temp. I think the worse part will be the wait before the swim (for me). Prob should bring my robe, a la Rodney Dangerfield in back to school. Haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding it weekly (local) and it's my main go-to area for intervals so I'm out there a bit. Yeah, it's just a bunch of chip seal, however there is one pretty gnarly part on monkey road. Be careful there. There's a little dip and a few weeks ago I was descending it hard, hit a pothole/crack at the bottom and cracked my armrest. Other than that, it's not bad. People think it's slow because of the poor roads, but it's just slow because of all the turning and false flats. The elevation chart doesn't do this course justice. The last 10mi can be pretty brutal if you don't pace yourself well. Riding latex will make it a lot more comfortable and a lot more unlikely to get a flat too.
Quote Reply
Re: 20107 Austin 70.3 [brosemail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a wetsuit, stop by Austin Tri Cyclist, and you can rent one. They have tons and are pretty cheap for a day rental.
Quote Reply
Re: 20107 Austin 70.3 [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetsuit rental.. thanks but I borrowed one, but like I’ve said I’ve been swimming in this temp already, just worried abstanding waiting for my wave to hit the water. Prob wear some layers till gun goes off and ditch them even though I know it’s frowned upon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered neoprene booties and cap (~$20 total) from amazon. Just in case. Won't even take them out of the bag they shipped in unless it's looking like water temps will be well into the 50's. I stay pretty warm in my wetsuit when out of the water. I think with the booties and the cap, I can stay warm enough while waiting to get in the water. Moving around a bit stores a lot of heat in that rubber.

I'm worried about hopping on the bike soaking wet in 40 something degree weather. Hope it heats up fast or that arm warmers and gloves get me some feeling back in my hands quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: 20107 Austin 70.3 [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday (Thursday) the water temp was 78-79 some of the other water ways were 75-76
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, but temps are dropping with highs in the 60's for 2 straight days with the overnight low before the race at 40. It has been relatively warm during the day lately so I can see the water temps staying up (at least 2.5 hours away in North Houston). Seems like that is cooling off a bit for the next couple days. I know nothing about the lake and am just being paranoid. But I think the water will be in the 60's and just being prepared for if it dips below.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think neoprene will be necessary. It's been low 50s all weeks and the water temp hasn't changed from mid to high 70s. It will be chilly on the bike with the air temp though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not quote me on this, but I heard that it's a time trial start with no waves. So anyone of any age just lines up and can go. If anyone actually knows, would love to confirm or know what actually is going to happen.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The site says age group rolling start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I read in the athlete guide or something. That was the plan for NOLA this past weekend. They just had signs up for your estimated swim time (40 min and under, 35 min and under, 30 min and under, etc.). Just self seeded and they were going to let like 6 people at a time cross the timing mat, then the computer registered you as starting when they told you to take off. Seems a little difficult from a perspective of trying to race your age group, but nice for course congestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So any age can go at any time? Bad for AGs, but essentially really good if you're trying to race for overall in amateur, correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone is at check in today, can you post a f they are still taking walk up registration?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply