Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Torn calf muscle or something else?
Quote | Reply
I was running last friday - slow and steady pace - and felt something kind of give. No pop or break or anything, just something give out and my leg got kind of tingly along the outer side of my right leg. On the treadmill so caught myself. Pain lasted 5 seconds and then I was alright. Continued my run for the rest of the 30 mins or so.

Took of sat and sun, figured a good rest was in order. Sat I was sore and it felt like shin splints but not bad, the sunday my whole lower leg was a dull pain. Monday it was bad. Sitting down and squirm kind of bad. My whole leg now hurts a bit with most of the pain being in the lower calf. No swelling, no bruising, just a real bad dull throbbing pain. Sitting down really makes it suck and walking isnt some sharp pain like I would expect a calf strain to be.

Any ideas what the hell I may have done? Im sitting at work right now and it is just throbbing. Feels like someone hit my calf with a blunt object for a few hours.

p.s - I shattered my hand into 7 pieces and was laughing and telling jokes at the ER. I have a unhealthy high pain tolerance, but damn this is painful.
Quote Reply
Re: Torn calf muscle or something else? [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I tore my calf muscle a few years ago, however I had a totally different experience. You definitely know when it is torn. I also don't believe you can run very far on a torn calf muscle, plus a torn muscle hurts in a specific location. An ultrasound can easily tell if you have a tear.

My guess is that you have a soft tissue adhesion. These can be broken down broken down by a chiropractor using the Gaston Technique or a physical therapist using the Active Release Techniques.

Of course the best approach is to go see a sports doctor. You can get yourself into trouble self diagnosing your issues and prolonging your injury. I'm speaking from experience. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Torn calf muscle or something else? [jbholcom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbholcom wrote:

I tore my calf muscle a few years ago, however I had a totally different experience. You definitely know when it is torn. I also don't believe you can run very far on a torn calf muscle, plus a torn muscle hurts in a specific location. An ultrasound can easily tell if you have a tear.

My guess is that you have a soft tissue adhesion. These can be broken down broken down by a chiropractor using the Gaston Technique or a physical therapist using the Active Release Techniques.

Of course the best approach is to go see a sports doctor. You can get yourself into trouble self diagnosing your issues and prolonging your injury. I'm speaking from experience. :)

Haha ya Ive torn other muscles and they sucks and this one was just weird. Feeling I have never experienced. If it doesn't start feelin better by friday I suppose Ill saunter on into a doctor with a frown on my face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i could easily be a tear in the muscle. as it happen when warm, the pain wont necessarly be sharp but as it cool off and a few days pass, it does get worst.

As always, give it a lot of heat..... many times a day. So new blood repair the area. Dont ice it. And once the acute period is over, i recommend some ART or Graston treatement to remodel the muscle fibers and break down the scare tissu that repaired the area.

starting back very slowly with walk run will be your ticket back. it dosnt take long and you could be back to normal routine but the secret is to go with a very progressive load so the muscle does tear back or get worst.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far you’ve received terrible advice from amateur medical practitioners.

It’s possible you tore your plantaris tendon. This is a weak plantar flexor of the foot. The injury itself is not uncommon to runners overall. However, it is a little concerning your reports of numbness/ tingling. This implies some level of nerve involvement without a specific mechanism for injury. Since you are still in the acute phase of injury, ice is absolutely indicated along with gentle tolerable active range of motion of the ankle.

My suspicion is that you have swelling in your ankle that is enough to get worse with your leg in a dependent position. With this swelling you are likely experiencing some nerve compression that is resulting the the reported paresthesias.

ART or Grayson or whatever is contraindicated as your body needs scar tissue to heal and repair the damaged area. ART will only disrupt the healing process, cause increase pain and prolong the healing timeframe. Cycling may be tolerable but don’t overdo it.

Bottom line- protect from further injury, relative rest, ice, compression, elevation. Once you are 3+ days followIng injury you can switch to heat as long as there isn’t any active swelling. You should show daily incremental progress. If it doesn’t get better, see a physician and an MD.
Quote Reply
Re: Torn calf muscle or something else? [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewL wrote:
So far you’ve received terrible advice from amateur medical practitioners.

Bottom line- protect from further injury, relative rest, ice, compression, elevation. Once you are 3+ days followIng injury you can switch to heat as long as there isn’t any active swelling. You should show daily incremental progress. If it doesn’t get better, see a physician and an MD.

so you repeat what i just said but call it terrible advice? he is now about 4 days pass injury, The acute phase is done and icing isnt the effective treatement anymore. Are you falling in the amateur medical practitioner category? you lost your degree? ;)

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Torn calf muscle or something else? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So to update..
Walking does not hurt.
Moving my foot around does not hurt - 60% of the time

It is just extremely sore. Sitting down makes it worse. Elevating it on the couch makes it throb. Laying it on its side when Im in bed hurts. It is just a blunt throb pain. It does not hurt when I walk or flex or point my toe though - which makes me think it isnt my calf. There is no more numbness or tingling though - that's good and still no visible bruising or swelling

What the hell did I do haha
Quote Reply