Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is everyone it such a hurry where you live too [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Looks like me after pierogi night at my polish mother's place.

That is me right now.

Just ate a casserole and I’m laying on the floor with a fan blowing on fucking balls!!!!!!!

No joke.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Is everyone it such a hurry where you live too [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it usually that hot at this time of year down there?

We are fully in to fall/winter temps (Just below 10*C, where it will hover until, oh, May or so) with fall storms smashing through. Already burning wood in the fireplace. 15' waves up in Tofino earlier this week apparently.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Is everyone it such a hurry where you live too [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

We are fully in to fall/winter temps (Just below 10*C, where it will hover until, oh, May or so) with fall storms smashing through. Already burning wood in the fireplace. 15' waves up in Tofino earlier this week apparently.

Yeah, we almost always have a week or two in October that get Santa Ana winds and it gets really hot. Today was a record (96 at the airport vs. 95 on this day in 1965).

It’s really funny because everyone seems to forget every year.

The term “Indian Summer” ring a bell?

“It’s sooo hot!!!!”

“Yeah, it’s so unusual for October.”

“Uh, it was hot like this last October the week before Halloween. And the year before that. And the year before that.”

“Really? Not this hot!”

“Yeah, pretty much this hot.”

Saturday I went up north to surf (long interval swell with a lot of North in it doesn’t hit SB at all) and got my ass handed to me. I hadn’t surfed anything over waist/chest high in 7 months, been slacking and not going to Master Swim, and I paddle out at triple over head, beefy, cold Central Coast reef break.

Fucking almost died.

Fun stuff.

We’ll get another heat wave in January (like we always do) and everyone will say, “OMG, it’s January and we’re going to the beach! This is so unusual!”

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird, we have the same sort of thing happen here. We get an "Indian summer" usually until just past Thanksgiving in early October. It's always t shirt and beach weather and people are in awe. It happens every. Single. Year.

Then in February, we always get 2 weeks of unusually warm, sunny weather. It's like someone flips a switch, bees are out, flowers start blooming suddenly, people are out getting sunburnt to shit and freaking out over the unusually warm weather, even though that too happens every. Single. Year.

Then we get two more months of hard rain, then things get awesome again.

As for your swimming tale, I'm just walking in to masters, first time swimming in a year. Going up to Tofino in a couple weeks, and fully intend on getting in the water.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Is everyone it such a hurry where you live too [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know it is leagal to drive on the shoulder on 128. Weird but true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Yeah, we almost always have a week or two in October that get Santa Ana winds and it gets really hot. Today was a record (96 at the airport vs. 95 on this day in 1965).
U
It’s really funny because everyone seems to forget every year.

The term “Indian Summer” ring a bell?

“It’s sooo hot!!!!”

“Yeah, it’s so unusual for October.”

“Uh, it was hot like this last October the week before Halloween. And the year before that. And the year before that.”

“Really? Not this hot!”

“Yeah, pretty much this hot.”

Saturday I went up north to surf (long interval swell with a lot of North in it doesn’t hit SB at all) and got my ass handed to me. I hadn’t surfed anything over waist/chest high in 7 months, been slacking and not going to Master Swim, and I paddle out at triple over head, beefy, cold Central Coast reef break.

Fucking almost died.

Fun stuff.

We’ll get another heat wave in January (like we always do) and everyone will say, “OMG, it’s January and we’re going to the beach! This is so unusual!”
I do not know about a heatwave in January, slight cool down is more like it. Predictions are that we will experience another warm winter and most of next year will be much of the same as it has been, hopefully less humid at times. It is 99 degrees here at 9:15p. This is straight bullshit!

Quote | Reply
I generally only pay attention to weather predictions no more than 5 days out.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Is everyone it such a hurry where you live too [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Is everyone it such a hurry where you live too!

I live on the outer fringes of the built up suburban area of Toronto - the 3rd or 4th (depending on where you draw the lines) city/metro area in North America.

I sense that life is getting busier and busier.

We've lived here for over 10 years now and, there are people on our street, "neighbors" who I barely ever see. I know people are in the house, because the lights go on/off and I do see people coming and going. But it's always the same - a quick walk to/from the car in the drive way or the car going in/out of the drive in garage (and I assume going in/out of a door in the garage to the house).

That's it - I never see many of these folks at ANY other time. They have someone come and cut their lawns, and do other gardening - if they even bother with that. When some move in, the first thing they do is convert the front lawn, to the low/no maintenance rock-garden style. In the winter someone comes and shovels their snow and plows out their drive way!

What is sad is some of these houses have kids living in them. But I NEVER see the kids out playing. The ONLY time I see the kids, is again that short walk from the front door to the car, and always with the parent right there!

From this I would guess, that these folks are leading VERY busy lives. They see the inside of their houses, their cars, and where ever they are going to.

It's not a life or a life-style that I have any interest in!

Maybe my neighbourhood is an anomaly, but I really don't see any of this. I live in the city limits of Toronto, and I see my neighbours all the time. Granted, I have a dog so I'm out walking about a couple times a day, but I know all my neighbours, they're always outside doing some thing or other, kids are always outside playing (when it's not miserable weather), they come to say hi to the dog, etc.

Could have something to do with the fact that all the houses around me are approximately 900 sq ft, so there's just not that much room inside, don't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We get that in Minnesota too. One warm stretch of a few days in October, might get a couple warms days in November, but the one everyone freaks out about is the "January Thaw."

In the last 100 years there have only been something like 5 years without a January Thaw, but people freak out about the 40 degree day every goddamn time. "Is the ice going to be safer after this?" gets asked every year, we can't loose 24" of ice in 2 days, it just doesn't work that way.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply

Prev Next