Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foot pains/aches in mid-later stage of Ironman marathon
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if anyone's experienced generalized foot aches/soreness during middle to late parts of the Ironman run (and NOT had this in training or race preparation)....and if so, what shoes or adaptations anyone has made to prevent this. I don't have any foot issues and no real aches when I train, so it has to do with cycling shoe pressure plus the marathon running right after. I train and race with the same shoes, just a newer pair.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot pains/aches in mid-later stage of Ironman marathon [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might benefit from going up a half size. Your foot will swell quite a bit during an IM, so the discomfort you're feeling might be your shoe getting too tight.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Foot pains/aches in mid-later stage of Ironman marathon [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, it just happened at Kona. each step hurt; walking or running (OK, slow jogging). I was wearing just broken in Nike Zoom fly, which; felt great in all the workouts before, and a hard long track workout yesterday.

The suggestion above about wearing a half size bigger is interesting. My previous IM six weeks earlier I used Hokas which were the same size but fit a bit wider in the toe box, didn't give me too much grief. But, then so many things happened in Kona that I have yet to figure out - I can't say anything for sure. You might wonder why I didn't use the "proven" Hoka's; they were on their last legs at IMCDA, and, my replacement Hoka's didn't feel as nice.

Let me know if you make any promising discoveries.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been building mileage with a Marathon next month and have had foot pain. A very simple strip of KT tape across the bridge of my foot (on top) has been a huge help.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are your bike shoes too tight in the forefoot?

I had a similar problem at ITU LD in Penticton and I think it was a combination of too tight bike shoes AND too tight running shoes.

Quote Reply
Re: Foot pains/aches in mid-later stage of Ironman marathon [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I think you should have been OK with the Zoom Flys because they were broken in...I used a tried and true pair of long course racing shoes and had the SAME problem! I never have issues with these shoes in shorter races, so that's why I picked them. Now I want to throw out those shoes!

I think my issue started with using no socks on the bike portion of the ironman...and this leaves little cushioning on your feet for a long long time...so when you start running, you might have foot aches with the pounding. I use socks on the bike while training and have had no issues, so that's going to be my next adjustment in an ironman...to use nice socks on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot pains/aches in mid-later stage of Ironman marathon [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
Are your bike shoes too tight in the forefoot?

I had a similar problem at ITU LD in Penticton and I think it was a combination of too tight bike shoes AND too tight running shoes.

Nope...I've made sure I've got tons of wiggle room on these...as well as with the toe box of my running shoes. I've been ordering a half size bigger on my running shoes just for this reason. HOWEVER, I do know that my bike shoes have a pretty rock hard sole or platform that seems to not bother me on shorter races, but for an Ironman, maybe it's just too hard and that causes big problems when I eventually start running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had bad arch cramps and pain the second half but it was part of a whole leg cramp shutdown. Never had anything like it happen before. My arch hurt for a month after and it was a slow return to running. Raced in same shoes I train in. Not sure what to do differently since I was running 40mpw. I'm thinking more tough trails to beef everything up.
Quote Reply