Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Used tri bike worth
Quote | Reply
Hi!
Please bear with me because this may be in the wrong forum but I don’t actually have anything to sell.

I’m planning on buying my fiancé a tri bike for Christmas. His good friend has a used one that is his size (my fiancé has used it in the past) but I have no idea how much it’s worth and I’m attempting to keep it quiet for now. It’s in very good shape.

Can anyone provide me with some insight into how much a cervelo p2c (model 3t) with the aero bars and carbon front fork, SRAM power meter, HR monitor, upgraded crank set. Racing seat, water bottle holders, etc. would be worth?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Used tri bike worth [Kassidel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Used tri bike worth [yrebetta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked up my bike the other day....old, super old in tri world, but in great shape $160 bucks....talk about a kick in the nuts. That means I doubled its value with the last set of tires? Not to hijack bit thought it was funny
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Can anyone provide me with some insight into how much a cervelo p2c (model 3t) with the aero bars and carbon front fork, SRAM power meter, HR monitor, upgraded crank set. Racing seat, water bottle holders, etc. would be worth?

much more detail on each item would be needed. Year of bike, estimated miles, aero bar system (was it upgraded), etc. For example, one bar system might be worth $100, another worth $1000.

Id expect 50% of MSRP on a ~3 year old bike in great condition. But I'll admit SRM power meter and possible extra goodies could swing it god bit higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What group is on the bike?

What brand/ model is the aero bar?

What brand/ model are the wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figure you can usually find last year's model at a LBS for 75% of new. Now you don't get a warranty, so a one year old used bike is really worth 60-65% of retail max.

Used PM and upgraded seat are worth maybe 1/2 of current retail.
Quote Reply
Re: Used tri bike worth [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I figure you can usually find last year's model at a LBS for 75% of new. Now you don't get a warranty, so a one year old used bike is really worth 60-65% of retail max.

Used PM and upgraded seat are worth maybe 1/2 of current retail.

My LBS has P2's for sale (sans power meter) for $2,200-2,300 (last year's model). Bikes are a personal thing, I learned my lesson doing that for a XMAS present too once...turns out wifey wasn't a big fan the bike. You may want to put a picture of SEVERAL options of bikes in an envelope--then let him pick one. Being part of the process is exciting & makes it *theirs* rather than getting something he may not be overly thrilled with. After all, he will likely spend more time with it than you if he is training long course. Still sure you want to buy that now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to sell my tri bike now and will end up giving it away. If I break it apart and sell the components online I could make more I think. I am pretty close to doing that.

Basically the markdown on used bikes is so steep, they almost aren't worth selling unless you buy a new bike every 2 years or so and are selling a very current bike, but even then you face a lot of depreciation from what you paid for it. Athletes who are at the pointy end of the pack don't want to buy bikes that aren't I guess.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, more detail is needed to make an accurate appraisal but even then, a lot of it comes down to how much it is worth to you and how much it is worth to the seller and there could be quite a large disparity in these values!

The owner is probably going to look at what he's paid for it (+ upgrades such as the power meter), mark it down a bit for wear-and-tear and hope to recoup a good deal of his investment. The reality with second-hand tri bikes is that the market is quite small and depreciation is high; I don't agree that it's "hardly worth selling" as the post above mentions(!) but if the seller isn't going acknowledge that he's never going to sell it.

Case-in-point: I'm the UK and keep an eye on eBay for the occasional bargain and some guy has been listing his Specialized Transition at ~ÂŁ1200 for over a year (I kid you not) and still not shifted it.

My advice is to take a look on some completed listings on there as to what it might be worth.
Quote Reply