Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Best’ Rim Tape ?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

After dad suffered a puncture from what looks to be on a part of a tube which directly contacts a spoke hole, I was looking for advise on the best / latest / trendiest rim tape :-)

If it makes a difference, he is on ally rims and latex tubes.

Current tape is cloth and it ‘appears’ to be OK, which is a little puzzling … ?

A few options / recommendations would be ideal – it needs to be something that’s readily available in the UK.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

WD
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best’ Rim Tape ? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get some new Velox cloth rim tape or a couple layers of any of the tubeless rim tapes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
silca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stan's NoTubes yellow tape. Strong and light. Currently using it with my latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best’ Rim Tape ? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Stan's NoTubes yellow tape. Strong and light. Currently using it with my latex tubes.

x2.

It's slick, which is good for latex tubes and tubeless tire installation.

It's (obviously) airtight, so good for tubeless.

Just the right amount of stickiness to it, so it's easy to apply, but also very easy to remove.

Just the right amount of strength so it doesn't deform and bubble into spoke holes (though 2 plies are good for insurance). But it's thin enough that it's easy to push nearly into oddly-shape internal rim shapes (e.g. tubeless rims with the "shelf"). All-around great stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best’ Rim Tape ? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RichardL wrote:

x2.

It's slick, which is good for latex tubes and tubeless tire installation.

It's (obviously) airtight, so good for tubeless.

Just the right amount of stickiness to it, so it's easy to apply, but also very easy to remove.

Just the right amount of strength so it doesn't deform and bubble into spoke holes (though 2 plies are good for insurance). But it's thin enough that it's easy to push nearly into oddly-shape internal rim shapes (e.g. tubeless rims with the "shelf"). All-around great stuff.

+1

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stans with latex. No issues for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:

x4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only ever installed zipp or silca tape.

Silca tape is awesome. Won't use anything else ever again.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best’ Rim Tape ? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I have only ever installed zipp or silca tape.

Silca tape is awesome. Won't use anything else ever again.
Another vote for Silca... good stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Best’ Rim Tape ? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Velox and latex in alloy rims

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:

x5

yellow tape, black tires, and pink tube are quite a contrast when checking bead for latex tube to prevent pinch flats due to installation error

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tesa 4288 (black). Depending on your internal rim width, they make it in either 19mm or 24mm wide. It comes in a 55 meter roll, can usually find it for less than $10. It's very similar to all of the other tubeless tapes, just much cheaper.
Quote Reply