Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Argentina (Mar del Plata)
Quote | Reply
I have a few questions about the course and race conditions and was curious if others on the forum could answer them:

1) Is it expected to be a wetsuit swim?

2) Is there any elevation change on the course? Bike and run are described as flat but no elevation profiles are provided.

3) What are the road surface conditions like?

4) What are the expected weather conditions? Again, website says 22-25 celsius but how humid is it?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Argentina (Mar del Plata) [jordanac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Yes. Till late Dec water temp around 14-16ÂșC

2)No. 99.99% flat, a few short bosses

3)Right now they're repairing the pavement and re-doing a large sector

4) That's a lottery. Early Dec you could expect 35ÂșC, clear sky, 90% humidity, no wind or 8ÂșC, rain and 45 km/h winds...
"Normal" conditions: yes 16-23ÂșC, 20-25km/h winds and 70-80% humidity
Last edited by: Trisur: Oct 28, 17 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Argentina (Mar del Plata) [Trisur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies for unearthing this thread. Based on the course and winds/potential winds would you see this a course for a disc wheel or leave the disc at home?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Argentina (Mar del Plata) [keepdrilling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sure shot would be 45/60F, 80/90R but it depends on your ability to ride with a disc on a windy day
It is not a technical circuit, last year was very very windy, 1# and 2# women used disc as opposed to the 1# man on deep wheels
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Argentina (Mar del Plata) [Trisur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started this thread last year and went on to have a very successful race at Mar del Plata... 2nd female amateur off the bike with second fastest amateur bike split. I rode ~5:21 on my Cervelo P3 with a Zipp 404 and 808 combination. The winds were almost exclusively head and tailwind so a disc would not have posed much of a problem. My travel buddy, Sarah Piampiano, rode a disc and went on to win the race overall for the pro women.

It's funny seeing this thread again and my original questions since I was hoping for a hot and humid day... and while we got rain, it was only 60f and the ocean swim was fairly challenging!!!

Trisur wrote:
The sure shot would be 45/60F, 80/90R but it depends on your ability to ride with a disc on a windy day
It is not a technical circuit, last year was very very windy, 1# and 2# women used disc as opposed to the 1# man on deep wheels
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Argentina (Mar del Plata) [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys - so by the sounds of things as long as the winds are in front of you or behind you or non existent a disc wheel would be fine. However, I am guessing the route is largely exposed to the coast so if the winds were coming from the side it would be more of a sailing exercise on the bike.

I will be travelling from Ireland so will not have the capacity to bring a spare set of wheels! (Cold, Wind and rain sounds standard Irish weather :-) )
Quote Reply