Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cowboy boots - yeehaw help me
Quote | Reply
Fixing to pick up a pair of boots to solidify my fandom of country music and to avoid getting bit by rattlers on me ankles, and just for fun/comfort. Don’t know a thing about them in terms of brands, style, etc. aside from knowing I can’t pull off snakeskin boots, what’s a fella to do who isn’t gonna use the boots for their purpose at all (city living with a desk job)? Help.
Quote Reply
Re: Cowboy boots - yeehaw help me [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years back I got a pair of Ariat Ramblers. They are great. They look mostly like basic boots, not fancy snakeskin or gaudy colors.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frye boots all the way.

Quote | Reply
Ariat ropers. I don't have the fancy tooling Slowguy does, so I can wear them with slacks and no one knows they aren't leather shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Cowboy boots - yeehaw help me [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Ariat ropers. I don't have the fancy tooling Slowguy does, so I can wear them with slacks and no one knows they aren't leather shoes.

You know what, mine might be the Ropers too, now that I see a photo. Mine are in storage with the rest of my household goods, waiting for transfer overseas.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Cowboy boots - yeehaw help me [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

You know what, mine might be the Ropers too, now that I see a photo. Mine are in storage with the rest of my household goods, waiting for transfer overseas.

Just in time for winter, lucky you. I love my ropers, I wore them all over Europe since I was walking on uneven sidewalks and my feet never hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know people actually wore those - then I moved to Oklahoma. Cowboy hats and boots are fairly standard attire. Who knew.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Cowboy boots - yeehaw help me [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I didn't know people actually wore those - then I moved to Oklahoma. Cowboy hats and boots are fairly standard attire. Who knew.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Pretty much anyone who has spent any time not on the coasts and/or rust belt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

25 years in Maine, 5 years in Oregon, now 3 months into Oklahoma.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

You should check out one of windywave's family reunions.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Well there you go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

My sincere condolences....but it is hard to find a job with a PhD on the coasts nowadays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like some people already said, get ropers. Ariat is ok and usually have rubber soles. If you want basic and classic everyday boots get some Justin ropers. If you want nice and really comfy boots, get Lucchese full quill ostrich ropers in cognac. Never wear snakeskin boots unless you are a trucker, from the south, mexican or some combo there of. No super pointy toes and square toes can be tricky to pull off as well. Make sure you wear Wranglers with your boots. They don't have to be cowboy cut but they do need to be extra long (if you usually wear a 32 instep, wear a 34 with boots and wranglers). If you really like boots (they are awesome) eventually get yourself some crepe sole ropers.

I spent part of my life growing up on a farm in MT, was a cobbler at a cowboy boot store during college, and used to count several PRCA cowboys as friends so I am giving you straight poop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What he said.

Re: Cowboy boots - yeehaw help me [Jim_Richalds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim_Richalds wrote:
Like some people already said, get ropers. Ariat is ok and usually have rubber soles. If you want basic and classic everyday boots get some Justin ropers. If you want nice and really comfy boots, get Lucchese full quill ostrich ropers in cognac. Never wear snakeskin boots unless you are a trucker, from the south, mexican or some combo there of. No super pointy toes and square toes can be tricky to pull off as well. Make sure you wear Wranglers with your boots. They don't have to be cowboy cut but they do need to be extra long (if you usually wear a 32 instep, wear a 34 with boots and wranglers). If you really like boots (they are awesome) eventually get yourself some crepe sole ropers.

I spent part of my life growing up on a farm in MT, was a cobbler at a cowboy boot store during college, and used to count several PRCA cowboys as friends so I am giving you straight poop.

I used to have a bunch of folks working for me in San Antonio, and they insisted that I needed to wear a pair of real boots when I flew into town for office calls. I got a pair of Lucchese elk skin ropers over 15 years ago and they are still in great condition. Very comfortable, very soft and obviously very well made.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Cowboy boots - yeehaw help me [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those particular boots are awesome. I also suggest kangaroo if you want soft and supple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Lucchese

I have a nicer Black pair that I can where in place of dress shoes for business trips, but will look good for a causal dinner with jeans. People that know boots will give a nice comment on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ariat! I have three pairs of lace-ups in my closet. You can't go wrong with them. They're more comfortable than some running shoes I've owned.

If you want to go custom...and spend major $$$...Gary Loveless out of Oklahoma makes the absolute best. Loveless makes a cast of your foot and builds the boot around the cast. I have one pair of Loveless made out of some exotic skins. They are off the charts in comfort and fit, but are major cash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
Fixing to pick up a pair of boots to solidify my fandom of country music and to avoid getting bit by rattlers on me ankles, and just for fun/comfort. Don’t know a thing about them in terms of brands, style, etc. aside from knowing I can’t pull off snakeskin boots, what’s a fella to do who isn’t gonna use the boots for their purpose at all (city living with a desk job)? Help.

I may be the only Texan alive with no opinion on boots, but I will give you excellent marks for appropriate and well-placed use of the term "fixin' to." (minor points off for including the "g" and not the apostrophe, but not too egregious).

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply