Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Arthritis in young athletes?
Quote | Reply
Hey guys!

I'm just looking for some advice and would like to know if anyone has had any experience with this.

I am an avid runner and have been training passionately or the past five years, including a lot of cross-training as I was studying sports science in school as well. I love to compete and did several short road races in spring (never more than 10k) and pretty much out of nowhere, I started experiencing severe, right-sided ankle pain.

I've sprained my ankle several times before (2x on the left side, 1x on the right side, but a YEAR earlier), so I thought I'd just take a couple of days off and do some rehab. Unfortunately, the pain got worse.

Long story short, an MRI then showed I had some inflamed arthritis in my right ankle. The first orthopedist didn't really consider it that bad. He told me with some physio and the right shoes, it will be fine and I don't really have to reduce my training (which, at that time, was an average 20 mile week, which really isn't that much). The second orthopedist, because it didn't get better, told me "you'd better get a bike and forget about running" (how insensitive can you be?).

This was in June. I've done a lot of physio since, cross-training, took glucosamine for a while. I took a complete break from running for a good 6 weeks after the diagnosis, and took another 4 weeks off in August. Now, I can maybe do 2 to a maximum of 3 short runs a week now of around 3 to a maximum 5 miles before the pain gets too bad to continue.This isn't what I was hoping for.

So my question: how can this be? I'm only 25, I've only run for roughly 5 years and never had a really heavy mileage load (the maximum was around 30 miles per week when I was 22).

Any advice? Ideas? Experiences? I'd appreciate any input. I don't want to stop running, and I still want to compete.
Quote Reply
Re: Arthritis in young athletes? [victorine_anna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arthritis is merely a state of a joint surfaces. Most people have it to some degree and it is typically painless, especially in someone so young. Since arthritis does not progress overnight you had this before twisting your ankle and you were pain free. You’ll also have it after you recover and be fine. Ankle joint arthritis is also relatively independent of the 1-2 lateral ankle ligaments you disrupted. Given you can run for a little before pain increases, you also likely have some anterior translation of the fibular head that worsens with continued running. Bottom line... find a different doctor and PT.
Last edited by: Calvinbal6: Oct 22, 17 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: Arthritis in young athletes? [victorine_anna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
victorine_anna wrote:
Hey guys!

I'm just looking for some advice and would like to know if anyone has had any experience with this.

I am an avid runner and have been training passionately or the past five years, including a lot of cross-training as I was studying sports science in school as well. I love to compete and did several short road races in spring (never more than 10k) and pretty much out of nowhere, I started experiencing severe, right-sided ankle pain.

I've sprained my ankle several times before (2x on the left side, 1x on the right side, but a YEAR earlier), so I thought I'd just take a couple of days off and do some rehab. Unfortunately, the pain got worse.

Long story short, an MRI then showed I had some inflamed arthritis in my right ankle. The first orthopedist didn't really consider it that bad. He told me with some physio and the right shoes, it will be fine and I don't really have to reduce my training (which, at that time, was an average 20 mile week, which really isn't that much). The second orthopedist, because it didn't get better, told me "you'd better get a bike and forget about running" (how insensitive can you be?).

This was in June. I've done a lot of physio since, cross-training, took glucosamine for a while. I took a complete break from running for a good 6 weeks after the diagnosis, and took another 4 weeks off in August. Now, I can maybe do 2 to a maximum of 3 short runs a week now of around 3 to a maximum 5 miles before the pain gets too bad to continue.This isn't what I was hoping for.

So my question: how can this be? I'm only 25, I've only run for roughly 5 years and never had a really heavy mileage load (the maximum was around 30 miles per week when I was 22).

Any advice? Ideas? Experiences? I'd appreciate any input. I don't want to stop running, and I still want to compete.

Orthopedist is not the Specialty you want to consult going forward.

Have you looked into genetic auto-immune disorders?
Family history of rheumatoid arthritis?
Any history of more recent/persistent bacterial/viral infections?
Allergies?

You should consider seeing an Immunologist/Rheumatologist.

Again, not expecting answers from you, as a am not a 'Web-MD'.
But there is a good chance that this is not age-related/degenerative arthritis.

Best of luck.
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 22, 17 23:38
Quote Reply