Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giro Aerohead MIPS and Ironman--any reviews?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone raced IM with the Giro Aerohead MIPS? If so, any thoughts:
-how was the ventilation?
-shield?

Thanks.

Quote | Reply
I've used one for 2 half IMs and 1 olympic this year. Very comfortable, easy to adjust, and quick to install and remove. Your ears are free under the shield instead of being crushed by the helmet itself. It looks aero. It's been reviewed as aero. There are report of tests concluding it's pretty aero. I guess it's probably aero, but who cares? You'll be looking like a Death Star gunner.

Ventilation: You can feel a bit of air pass in the holes above the shield. It's hotter than the Air Attack, which I also own.

Shield: It's very nice optically. Like with the Air Attack, there is room inside for my normal prescription glasses which is great for training. Sweat can drop inside the shield but so far it has not hindered my vision, it's just annoying because it's noticeable.

- The Architect -
"If you don't die executing my training plan this year you'll be much faster" -- My coach
Last edited by: TheArchitect: Oct 21, 17 18:39
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead MIPS and Ironman--any reviews? [ndrfnnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used it on a hot day at IMMD and it was great.

The only change I will make is using Rain-X plastic on the shield so sweat wicks away. Other than that I love the helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used it at IM Chat. High of 86. It was fine
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead MIPS and Ironman--any reviews? [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, much appreciated.

Quote | Reply
I've only raced mine up to HIM distance, but have done a few much longer rides with it, in very hot conditions. Also, I'm a great test case since I sweat like nobody's business.

I don't find it to be unbearably hot, however, the sweat does manage to channel right down the bridge of my nose. So I now wear one of those Halo sweatbands under the helmet which fits no problem, and only adds a couple of seconds to my T1 time. With that setup, I think it is perfect. It would require some unusual and extreme conditions to make me second guess my decision to race in an Aerohead.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead MIPS and Ironman--any reviews? [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robegan99 wrote:
I've only raced mine up to HIM distance, but have done a few much longer rides with it, in very hot conditions. Also, I'm a great test case since I sweat like nobody's business.

I don't find it to be unbearably hot, however, the sweat does manage to channel right down the bridge of my nose. So I now wear one of those Halo sweatbands under the helmet which fits no problem, and only adds a couple of seconds to my T1 time. With that setup, I think it is perfect. It would require some unusual and extreme conditions to make me second guess my decision to race in an Aerohead.

Thanks. Great intel.

Quote | Reply
I did IMSR in one this year. It was a warm day but not a scorcher and I never thought the helmet felt hot. Maybe a few drops of sweat hit the visor the whole ride but never affected visibility. I have no complaints. I've also done multiple centuries with it in training and have never felt hot. Note that I have only ridden it in 80s/90s F without high humidity and can't comment on how it does in hot and humid conditions. Having smashed my head in a MIPS helmet mountain biking and not getting a concussion, I am a big fan of MIPS (even if just anectodal).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode it last week in Kona and it was very comfortable. No heat or sweat issues at all. At training at home I had some issues with contact lenses popping out, but that was in cooler conditions. Probably this is no problem in hot and humid conditions.

Anyway, there are a lot of different experiences with the helmet in hot/humid conditions, and I think you have to try it out yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found Ventilation always sufficient, though I haven't done any super hot races this year. I did wear it on my first ironman this year, but for my second decided to go with an aero road helmet and sunglasses, purely due to the weight. The Aerohead is one of the heaviest out there, if I am not mistaken it was almost half a kilo in size L (460gr incl shield?), and I had quite some troubles with my neck on the last third of the bike course. Changed to Scott Cadence + Sunglasses, I think its 130gr lighter, and then no problems in the neck, and I also felt like I could start to run better after the bike (tight back and neck of course impacts your run). I do not know how many seconds/minutes this supposedly less aero setup costs me on the bike, but I was happy with it.

Just something additional to consider for a helmet for ironman distance =) I am sure I will continue the Aerohead on half ironmans, but otherwise would love to do some wind tunnel testing to see how exactly the helmet effects my wind resistance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own the aero head ultimate (TT version with less ventilation). Used it in IM Copenhagen this year. It was in the 60’s and windy/rainy so heat wasn’t an issue. On my training rides, ventilation wasn’t an issue so I imagine the triathlon Version should be fine. Lense is fantastic, pops on and off easily. I would use it up to 80-85 degrees for sure. It feels faster for sure. I would’ve rode 5:10-5:20 if it was for a flat and the winds this is off abou 170-180w NP (I’m 71kg).
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead MIPS and Ironman--any reviews? [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same reason Kienle wore it for Kona, apparently it's only 2 watts slower than the split.

Ben6 wrote:
I found Ventilation always sufficient, though I haven't done any super hot races this year. I did wear it on my first ironman this year, but for my second decided to go with an aero road helmet and sunglasses, purely due to the weight. The Aerohead is one of the heaviest out there, if I am not mistaken it was almost half a kilo in size L (460gr incl shield?), and I had quite some troubles with my neck on the last third of the bike course. Changed to Scott Cadence + Sunglasses, I think its 130gr lighter, and then no problems in the neck, and I also felt like I could start to run better after the bike (tight back and neck of course impacts your run). I do not know how many seconds/minutes this supposedly less aero setup costs me on the bike, but I was happy with it.

Just something additional to consider for a helmet for ironman distance =) I am sure I will continue the Aerohead on half ironmans, but otherwise would love to do some wind tunnel testing to see how exactly the helmet effects my wind resistance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore it in IM South Africa and IM Texas this year...with the shield both times. IMSA was pretty hot. Ventilation is not the best and I think I sweat a little more in the helmet but I like it and the shield. It doesn't feel heavy to me and the weight certainly had no effect on my neck/shoulders. I've continued to use it this year in 70.3 and ITU Long Course events. I'll use it in IM again next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead MIPS and Ironman--any reviews? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d agree here. I’m not sure if I wasn’t used to it but my neck was uncomfortable the last third of the Bike leg. I thought I actually hurt something in my neck but it was fine on the run. Might just need more time with it on. In a hot race, I would go aero road helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its great.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead MIPS and Ironman--any reviews? [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ben6 and All,

I am wondering if anyone has tried an elastic cord or band from helmet to back .... for support of about 90% of helmet and head weight?

Seems like it might be very comfortable but these homemade contraptions could use some 'smoothing' .....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply