Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoe Q: Tri and road or just one pair?
Quote | Reply
Hi all. Captain cheapskate here. Definitely not a serious athlete, but still geeky about gear.

I need some new bike shoes. Have been using some shimano SPD touring shoes which do ok for general purpose. Can run in them, mount pretty easily before clipping in due to rubbery soles, flying dismount, and they don’t seem to slow me down...

But it’s time for new boots. Been looking at proper road bike shoes and also tri specific shoes. So my question to the brainstrust is: would you prefer a midrange pair of each (say shimano TR5 and RP3) , or one good pair of tri shoes only (say TR9) and use them everywhere? Maybe with some toe covers for colder days.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe Q: Tri and road or just one pair? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, the stiffness of the carbon sole in TR9 will not be noticeable over TR5's composite sole. The shoes seem equal otherwise. So I would go with TR5 and road shoe.

I have specialized S-Work and expert level road shoes and do not notice the difference between them myself.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Oct 20, 17 20:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the high end tri shoe is the most comfortable, get that. I used nothing but tri shoes for 6 years, used shoe covers on cold days, and was fine. Just get whatever shoe fits the best and you can't go wrong there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I like the solid closure (ratchets, BOAs, laces) of a true road shoe for day-to-day. I only use my tri shoes for races.

As far as prices go, carbon soled shoes are definitely stiffer and marginally lighter; but really aren't any faster. I have some $$$$ Sidi Ergos, but my favorite road shoes are actually some LG laceups that were $69 at Performance (similar to the Giro Empires in look/fit, and due to the laces they are the same weight as the carbon Sidis which have the weight of the buckles): https://www.performancebike.com/...052_10551_1192565_-1

My advice is to get the tri shoes you like (may or may not be the most expensive). Use them for everything at the start and later get some dedicated road shoes if you want down the road. Cycling shoes last YEARS (I keep my average pair ~7), so get the shoes you'll love.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe Q: Tri and road or just one pair? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
My advice is to get the tri shoes you like (may or may not be the most expensive). Use them for everything at the start and later get some dedicated road shoes if you want down the road. Cycling shoes last YEARS (I keep my average pair ~7), so get the shoes you'll love.
Well, that's what I've ended up doing. Found a bargain on the last pair of Bont Riot TR's (~US$76) at bikebug. Fluro yellow, but I guess I can live with that :D

Summer's nearly here, so they should be fine for a while.
Quote Reply