Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Oct. 16 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 16 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr TC. How was your week?
SLO - I have a question about race weight below. Can you help?

It was a short week because Monday was Canadian Thanksgiving but it landed up being quite busy for me due to Fire Prevention Week activities during the week and an exam on the weekend. My goals were bike x 3 (YES but cut one short), be as enthusiastic during my last class of the day as I am during the first (YES but boy was I exhausted by the end), be well prepared for the test at the weekend (YES - I feel like it went well), eat sensibly (mostly) and get enough sleep (I think I did well on this too). I also ran once and one of my bike rides was an FTP test which saw a decent increase, decent enough that the subsequent workouts felt HARD.

I was on the radio multiple times last week as well. One pre-recorded segment and then a bunch of live segments from the open house we had at the fire hall. I don't particularly like how I sound so listening back was far more nerve-wracking than recording/being live. If you have 4-5 minutes for some fire safety tips, you can listen here (Oct 10th).

This week: bike x 3, run x 2. I'm also getting a DEXA scan - mainly out of curiosity but also to give me something beyond a number on the scale to work with*. I also plan to apply for a Lieutenant position so will be doing that this week.

Hope the rest of the women are well.

* I saw SLO's weight challenge on the main forum but I don't even know what my race weight should be. Help! I used the online estimator that Matt Fitzgerald has (guessed on the BF) and it suggested I could race at 137lbs. I'm usually around the 150lb mark these days but when I used to be in the 140-145lb range I found I got sick a lot more often/for longer.

**Added: so I did the DEXA scan today and during that they suggested my race weight should be 114lbs. I Then used the race weight calculator with actual numbers and it suggest 113lbs. I’m 5’7 and this seems ludicrously low....
Last edited by: Scheherazade: Oct 16, 17 19:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals this week
bike miles > run miles
ride 2x
swim 5x
continue to speed up on fast runs and slow down on easy runs
at least one day off from running

Bike miles < run miles . I just didn't feel like riding long yesterday, which I had planned on.
Ride 2x --- I did that! One 6 mi, one 8 mi. Both doing errands but it counts.
swim 5x --- did 6, total 5300 yds
run speed --- C+ there. Still trying.
at least one day off from running - done! 6 runs, 52.8 mi

goals for this week are the same as last week.

OSU had homecoming this past weekend. I went to the Walkaround, in which the Greek houses decorate the outsides. It was kinda cool but I don't think the hours (nearly 70 per student) are worth it. They make decorations with pomping (tissue paper stuff). They could save a lot of time if they painted :-) however, I was never in a Greek organization so I don't have a framework for the history and all that. I think it's good for students to be involved in stuff, so if that's what they want to do, that's cool. However, I got enough school spirit on Friday night, and did not go to the parade Saturday.

This week we have fall break (meaning I get Friday off!!)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? Oct. 16 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
* I saw SLO's weight challenge on the main forum but I don't even know what my race weight should be. Help! I used the online estimator that Matt Fitzgerald has (guessed on the BF) and it suggested I could race at 137lbs. I'm usually around the 150lb mark these days but when I used to be in the 140-145lb range I found I got sick a lot more often/for longer.

**Added: so I did the DEXA scan today and during that they suggested my race weight should be 114lbs. I Then used the race weight calculator with actual numbers and it suggest 113lbs. I’m 5’7 and this seems ludicrously low....
If you're 5'7" that is ridiculously low. When you say DEXA scan, do you mean the scan that does bone density of your neck and hip? I had that done after a stress fracture years ago and I don't remember it giving any feedback about optimal weight. How is that determined, do you know?

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 16 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It did my whole body and gave me bone density, lean muscle mass/fat content numbers.

It was the technician who gave me the “race weight” number, some calculation where he multiplied my lean muscle mass by a factor to get that weight.

The only bit that really concerned me was that I apparently carry a lot of fat in my omentum; I want to avoid t2d if I can!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't usually play HWYW, but last week was great because I was in KONA (cheer squad). I gave Dan hugs from all the womens, did not get to talk to Karen as she was so crazy busy working at the party, found Ian(peace) swimming straight toward me about a half mile down the swim course, cruised the expo, built two bikes for MoreThanSport, applied race tattoos, cheered friends, and caught athletes at the line, then partied till the final finishers came in. Manta rays, turtles, dolphins in the water. Wind and sun and all the heat. If you have never gone, I HIGHLY recommend it (racing or just for the experience). Now I am back to real life, a bit tired and with the wildfires interrupting my training, but sooo glad I went!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 16 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
TC - why the C+? because you want to run faster or you didn't do slow slow and fast fast?
The latter. I fell into a rut of slow, 9-10.5 mi runs :P

I hope your arm feels better soon!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:

Hi, Women!

Have you checked out http://racingweight.com/rwe/#/ ?? I am 5'9" and I dropped my info in and it spit out 141. That is probably best body weight and I've been that weight before. I do know that WHAT I eat at that weight determines if I am healthy or sickly. I really have to fuel with highlyy nutritious foods at low body weights. I agree with the other ladies - 114 seems like sickly weight, not race weight....

Last week was okay. I've been traveling and not exercising.

Swim x0
Bike x1
Run x2

Put down a 20-mile run on Friday and was surprised I held on the whole time.

Now I'm up in the Pacific Northwest enjoying cold and rain. I want to go back to sunny and warm California! Next week....

Two more races left this season: Trick or Tri 70.3 on 10/28 and an OLY the week after. I'm ready to regroup and reset. And get back on the Race Weight bandwagon. I fell off with all the travel. Darn.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 16 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi SLO,

Yes I used that calculator and it also gives me similarly low numbers. I think I'm just going to aim for 140 at the moment and then reassess. Wish me luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Womens!

My goals for the week were:

This coming weekend, I'm doing a multi-day backpacking trip to Havasupai. I've been excitedly looking forward to this trip for months (years?) and it should be a great trip. Before we leave, I'm hoping to get in 2 runs, 2 bikes, 2 swims, and 2 strength sessions along with my daily p/rehab and 1 yoga class. I'd like to run while I'm in the canyons but it will depend on how my group is feeling.
I only did one strength session (and still need to sort out my program) but ran three times, swam and biked twice, and did yoga before I left for my backpacking trip. While in Havasupai, I hiked about 35 miles and did an incredible 15 mile camp to canyon to camp trail run. The trip was everything I'd hoped it would be and then some. I have some photos on Instagram anyone who is interested but no photo I can take can do justice to the beautiful turquoise waterfalls and incredible red canyon walls.

Glad to hear your fitness is improving Anna.

Dr. Tigerchick, nothing wrong with the long, slow stuff when used right -- do you do any hills or track work add speed? Or work by heart rate?

On the race weight stuff, I don't even really know where to begin. I am solidly twenty pounds heavier than I was when I was a competitive distance runner. Back then my "race weight" was based on the Stillman formula which sounds like some of the numbers that Scheherazade was getting. Am I a slower pure runner? Yes! But I cannot imagine racing triathlon at that weight and I'm not a sniffly, achy mess all the time either. Plus, I really like my muscles :D YMMV.

Thinking of you and your mom, SLO. And of Gee in the wildfires. Some of our trails have burned down here but we've been mostly spared compared to the fires to up north.

I got back late last night so my goals are run 3x (one down), swim 3x, bike 3x, lift and yoga 1x (maybe).

I hope everyone has a great week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Last edited by: SoCalTricurious: Oct 23, 17 10:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The calculator gave me 120 lbs; I am 5'6" and currently 123 lbs. I put 18% bf (a guess), some room for improvement on eating habits, near peak fitness.

114 lbs at 5'7" would be underweight according to BMI calculators, FYI. My fastest run times are about that weight and 5'6", but I was just running - the swim muscle I have now takes up space!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that those weight calculations seem way too low. I'm a real shorty and the lowest I ever got was 114, during a marathon run focus. The calculations are based on some (unknown) algorithm that may or may not, accurately reflect your individual situation. Probably best to shoot for a target weight based on your own experience. When I was training at a high level, I found that I did not need to pay attention to a "diet." Rather, I listened to what my body needed, and kept portions in moderation. That worked well for me. It's only since the back injury that I've had to focus on what goes in....

Gee, thanks for the Kona report. Sounds like much fun was had.

I got back on my bike outside on Sunday. Had some butterflies but got through it. It felt great to be on the road again. With my right hand in a removable cast, I ended up leaning more heavily on my left. That kicked up the arthritis in that hand, so today I did a short ride with both hands splinted nearly to the elbow. Hopefully that will help. I've got follow-up with docs in a couple of weeks, and doing PT. i am getting sick of med offices!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 16 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3, I'm glad you're back on your bike and hope you heal quickly and without further complications.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 16 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The calculations are based on some (unknown) algorithm that may or may not, accurately reflect your individual situation.

The maths brain of mine would really like to know the equation...

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 16 Edition [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good for you for volunteering :-) thanks for the report!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The formula is probably a lot like the usual discussion on the main forum - once people think you're dying or stage an intervention you've reached race weight!

Thank you to everyone who chimed in - there are very few people in real life I can talk to about this without it becoming about them/their weight so I very much appreciate the opinions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The formula is probably a lot like the usual discussion on the main forum - once people think you're dying or stage an intervention you've reached race weight!

Yeah - but an equation could come from statistical modeling, if we the data.
Such equations often start with things like 100 lbs for the first 5 feet, and 5 lbs for each inch of height thereafter, then make adjustments from there. For instance, suppose we assume making dietary improvements could result in losing fat, and so when you click "my diet could be improved somewhat" it subtracts 2 lbs, and for "lots of room for improvement" it subtracts 4 lbs. I don't know - I'm estimating. I could play with the calculator and figure out the algorithm if I had time. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should participate more often, b/c I get notices when the thread is updated!

I played with the calculator out of curiosity (and because, like Dr TC, I am Dr Gee with a background in stats). It does not ask your height, which is most likely why it thinks you taller womens should be crazy skinny.

It tells me that I should be 114 race weight if my current weight is 121 and body fat is 24 (it sets target BF at 19), but 118 race weight if my current weight is 121 and body fat is 19 (it sets target BF at 17), with no other changes. However, if I tell it my current weight is 115 and I am at 19% body fat, it gives me 112 as my race weight, but gives a race weight of 108 if my current body fat is 24%.

FWIW, I am 5'1" and prefer a race weight that is under 110 (when I raced at 108, I still felt heavy but a friend's coach did try to stage an intervention), but at over 50 that is hard to get or maintain now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't notice that it didn't ask height! That is silly. I now do not trust the calculator at all.

(are you an MD or PhD?)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mathlete here too :D

I don't know what algorithim the calculator is using but since it does not take into account height so I just wrote it off entirely (I could have been more clear about that in my initial flippant comment) I know it is not using the aforementioned Stillman race weight formula works is based on a runner's height and their discipline. For female runners, the Stillman formula gives you 100 pounds for the first five feet and then 5 pounds per inch thereafter minus a percentage based on discipline, for mid- to long- distance runners that percentage is it's 12-15% for sprinters it's much smaller percentage (I forgot what).

While the Stillman formula is (was?) common in running, I don't think it's useful for triathlon [edit: or running, frankly].

Back in the day, I was a not quite 5'7 long distance runner with a race weight of 112 pounds based on the above. 112 was too low for me. As I've mentioned before, my collegiate athletic career was unspectacular and riddled with injuries and illness mostly due to being over-trained, under-fueled and a little bit of bad luck. I am heavier, stronger and much healthier now (woo muscles).

I don't own a scale now and try really hard to focus on performance goals (run sub X off the bike in an Oly, break Y in a 70.3, don't let elementary school kids lap you in the pool, smile for every camera).

Last edited by: SoCalTricurious: Oct 20, 17 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 16 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Mathlete here too :D

I don't know what algorithim the calculator is using but since it does not take into account height so I just wrote it off entirely (I could have been more clear about that in my initial flippant comment) I know it is not using the aforementioned Stillman race weight formula works is based on a runner's height and their discipline. For female runners, the Stillman formula gives you 100 pounds for the first five feet and then 5 pounds per inch thereafter minus a percentage based on discipline, for mid- to long- distance runners that percentage is it's 12-15% for sprinters it's much smaller percentage (I forgot what).

While the Stillman formula is (was?) common in running, I don't think it's useful for triathlon.

Back in the day, I was a not quite 5'7 long distance runner with a race weight of 112 pounds based on the above. 112 was too low for me. As I've mentioned before, my collegiate athletic career was unspectacular and riddled with injuries and illness mostly due to being over-trained, under-fueled and a little bit of bad luck. I am heavier, stronger and much healthier now (woo muscles).

YEAH ST MATHLETES!

I dislike the Stillman formula - the "subtract 15%" puts you at 85% of an ideal body weight, which is the diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa. Been there, done that, got the hospital bracelet. (Not really - I was never hospitalized - but it's a funny-not-funny joke)

I also try to focus on performance goals and eating healthy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I dislike the Stillman formula - the "subtract 15%" puts you at 85% of an ideal body weight, which is the diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa. Been there, done that, got the hospital bracelet. (Not really - I was never hospitalized - but it's a funny-not-funny joke)

I also try to focus on performance goals and eating healthy.

Agree! The Stillman race weight certainly put me in the danger zone and hurt my performance. I kinda sorta get why coaches use(d?) it but it's extreme and arbitrary. Plus, weighing athletes every day is a great way to mess up a teenager -- I had such a confused sense of what was "normal" as a young athlete and it took a long time to unravel. Some is probably still unraveling.

I am really encouraged by the resources available to young athletes and how much more open the conversation is on these kinds of topics (kudos to Outside Magazine and Runners World for covering these topics with candor and grace -- particularly the female athlete triad and the stigma around menstruation).

I am glad you have a performance focus now and am relieved you were never hospitalized. It's not an easy journey.

As an adult, my athletic priorities healthy, strong, fast -- in that order. My overarching goal with triathlon has been to enjoy competing again (and I am!)

Thanks for sparking such an interesting conversation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

... 85% of an ideal body weight, which is the diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa.

Not any more (DSM 5 - my Dr creds are in psychology). And I am also a grammar pro so I can say 85% is not the criterion, nor is it one of the criteria. Nevertheless, the calculator is not especially useful for most of us, and I for one am glad TC's eating and weight are currently stable!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOLZ! Thanks for the corrections :-)

Quote Reply