Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just missed the mark
Quote | Reply
If you can't trust the govt to get the numbers right.....

The Natural Resources Defense Council and Statista recently teamed up to analyze the EIA’s predictions for energy usage and production. It found that the EIA’s ten-year estimates between 2006 to 2016 systematically understated the share of wind, solar and gas. Solar capacity, in particular, was a whopping 4,813% more in 2016 than the EIA had predicted it would be.

https://qz.com/...nd-solar-generation/

I wonder if lobbying had anything to do with the massive screw up?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed the mark [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
If you can't trust the govt to get the numbers right.....

The Natural Resources Defense Council and Statista recently teamed up to analyze the EIA’s predictions for energy usage and production. It found that the EIA’s ten-year estimates between 2006 to 2016 systematically understated the share of wind, solar and gas. Solar capacity, in particular, was a whopping 4,813% more in 2016 than the EIA had predicted it would be.

https://qz.com/...nd-solar-generation/

I wonder if lobbying had anything to do with the massive screw up?

I felt sorry for your post because it had no responses so I read it.

Well, since it was a prediction, you can't really call it an error, just a bad prediction. The article even states that the government isn't in the business of speculation. I think there are several factors behind the increase in Wind, Solar, Gas and technology being a big one.
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed the mark [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
To be fair, there is a caveat here: The prediction in 2006 was that 10 years hence the US would be generating just 0.8 gigawatts (GW) of solar energy. With such a low baseline figure, any increase will look huge in percentage terms.

So, the numbers are so small, that 1 more solar roof throws the predictions off by orders of magnitude. ;-)
Quote Reply