Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Double heel fracture - Now what?
Quote | Reply
It all started with a broken pinky toe towards the end of May, which had to be reset since it was sticking out at a 90-degree angle. After 12 weeks in a walking boot, followed by a 2-week long flu, I slowly got back into cycling and eventually running, working myself up to 6-mile runs. Thinking the worst was over, my heel started hurting and got worse (felt as if it was on fire) over the next 0.5 mile forcing me to stop during a slow recovery run - this was at the beginning of September. After I had limped home, I discovered that the outer side next to my heel was all swollen. Icing and/or elevation didn't make it any better. Even anti-inflammatories didn't do the trick. Eventually, I went to see a PT a few days later and he suspected it might be peroneal tendonitis. So, after laying off running for 3 weeks, I started walking for 30 min. and eventually 1 min. running / 1 min. walking totaling only 10 min., then 2 min. running / 2 min. walking, 2 min. running / 1 min. walking, and finally 10 min. nonstop running.
Since I still had pain in my toe, I went to see the PT again. He noticed that my muscles and tendons in my forefoot are totally stiff. Therefore he wanted to go in there and break it all up. However, he encouraged me to get some x-rays done since something around the little toe felt not right. It turned out that the toe seems to be all healed, but grew back offset. While at the doc's office, I also told him about the heel pain. Instead of peroneal tendonitis, he found two stress fractures in the same heel. I do remember googling "fractured heel", which appeared to be impossible, unless you jump off a building (which I obviously haven't). It most likely happened due to changing my gait to heel running in order to avoid putting too much pressure on the toe.
I still have tremendous heel pain and stopped running altogether. Swelling on the side of the Achilles and extremely tight and painful tendons are an issue as well. Any suggestions on how to move forward and get back into "the game"?
Last edited by: trirocket: Oct 20, 17 10:16
Quote Reply
Re: Double heel fracture - Now what? [trirocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suicide fracture! Hahah. Glad you’re still with us ;)

But seriously, these are a godsend for heel issues. Dirt cheap & last forever. I think mine are 15-16yo.

http://www.medi-dyne.com/...'s-classic-heel-cups

CC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry you are going through that and I have no advice for you but my first thought when I saw double heel fracture was that this was going to be a flip turn gone wrong story!
Quote Reply
Re: Double heel fracture - Now what? [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiroCowboy wrote:
Suicide fracture! Hahah. Glad you’re still with us ;)

But seriously, these are a godsend for heel issues. Dirt cheap & last forever. I think mine are 15-16yo.

http://www.medi-dyne.com/...'s-classic-heel-cups

CC

So I was a gymnast for 15+ years and we ALL had heal issues because the growth plates hadnt fused together but we were pounding our heels. Most of us has "Severs Disease" - so we all wore these. You can buy the cups that are already stitched in a sockish like thing. They work wonderfully. I wore them to practice everyday for years. I highly recommend. My orthopedic doctor was also an ex Belgium Olympic gymnast and he was our coach for a bit at one point. He was all about them as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Double heel fracture - Now what? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish that was the case. lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed. Both fractures are in the same heel. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely give it a try. And you have no more pain running long distance?
Quote Reply
Re: Double heel fracture - Now what? [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Double heel fracture - Now what? [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw that they have a variety of different heel cups. Would gel be better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just checked out the website. Which one would be best for marathon running? Classic vs. heavy duty? Gel vs. plastic? Also, do they go underneath the insoles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last time I saw a patient with bilateral calcaneal fracture- he jumped out of a 2nd story window running from the cops.
Last edited by: Calvinbal6: Oct 21, 17 15:22
Quote Reply