Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Converting 10sp BMC TM01 to 1x Group
Quote | Reply
Looking for a suggestion on cost effective way of converting my Shimano 10sp Ultegra to Sram 1x. Here is what I think:
Rotor 3D+, BB30, 170mm 52/36 MAS crank- would likely get Force 1 XSync 52 BB30, 165mm
DA shifters- would have to get single SRAM shifter of some kind, which? Are the sold as single?
Ultegra 10sp- Would likely get SRAM Force 1 RD
Cassette- will likely go with 11-32 SRAM version
Chain- as recommended per SRAM or in articles here

Any better ideas, thoughts? Budget is the issue for sure, but not too restrictive either.

I live in, train and race mostly rolling hills. I did some read here on Dan's article on 1x. While I wish to keep my Rotor crank, I did gather that it is not simple slapping on a narrow/wide chaining. It has to be positioned correctly for the proper chainline.
I am also not sure Rotor makes no Q narrow-wide chainring either. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting 10sp BMC TM01 to 1x Group [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The SRAM 1x rings are meant to be used on normal 2x cranksets. The ring itself is offset to be more in the middle. If you like the length of your Rotor crank you should be able to keep it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Converted my Fuji D6 to SRAM 1X about 4 months ago,
I needed a new bottom bracket anyway and the cost for the whole crankset is not that much more than the X-Sync ring by itself so I figured I would upgrade to the newer stuff. went from 53/39 with 12-25, the new gearing gives me a little more climbing power and a little more on the top end.
Cost was right around $350 for SRAM stuff
Rival 1 crankset with 50t X-Sync
Rival 1 medium cage 2.1 derailleur
GXP team bottom bracket
1130 cassette 11-36
1130 120 link chain
Sram 500 11 speed shifter
Also replaced my wheels, wanted something durable and reliable, went with Shimano Ultegra 6800s.
Did IMMT on it this year with the above gearing had no problems with the hills.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotor 3D+, BB30, 170mm 52/36 MAS crank- would likely get Force 1 XSync 52 BB30, 165mm

Unless you NEED to change crank length, there's no reason to ditch the Rotor crank. The Sram 1x ring is offset by 6mm so that it mounts on the outer position of a 2x crank, but the chainline is in the middle of where the two rings normally sit. Superstar is the only other company I know of making chainrings for a 110 bcd 5 arm crank with 'offset' rings for better chainline. They do an 'oval' if that's your thing. The Sram Force 22 and Force 1x are the exact same crank and spider, just different paint. They are both 2x cranks, just one is sold with a 1x ring that's offset. Seriously. My Time Machine 1x setup is a Rotor 3D+ crank with a Sram Rival (I liked the all black better) 50t 1x ring and it's been flawless.

DA shifters- would have to get single SRAM shifter of some kind, which? Are the sold as single?

They aren't sold as singles. You can still use your 10 speed shifters and get a 10 speed 11-32 cassette if you're truly on a budget. Or add a Wolftooth Road link and run a 11-36 10 speed cassette. Or just run an 11-28. That really depends on your fitness and courses. My training wheels have an 11-32, but I raced 11-25 or 11-28. Strangely enough I put my front shifter back on because I was getting weird shoulder pain from holding the left extension differently. It all went away with the front shifter back on.

Ultegra 10sp- Would likely get SRAM Force 1 RD

If you're set on going to 11 speed, that's a good call. If you try it out as 10 speed for a bit, make sure to adjust the Ultegra rear derailleur to the 'high tension' setting for better chain retention. I keep meaning to post a video of how to do that.... The instructions are here. I have dozens of CX races, long gravel rides, trail rides (cx bike) and many road miles (1x tri bike) all with Shimano and zero chain drops when using a NW 1x ring, proper length chain and the rear derailleur in the high tension setting.

Cassette- will likely go with 11-32 SRAM version

Cool. Any one will do. I have used a mix of Shimano and SRAM without problems. The 11-28 SRAM gearing makes more sense to me than the Shimano gearing though.

Chain- as recommended per SRAM or in articles here

Any chain will work. Just make sure to use a new chain with a new 1x chainring.

Any better ideas, thoughts? Budget is the issue for sure, but not too restrictive either.

Get the new chainring and chain and try it out on your 10 speed. Pull the trigger on 11 speed once you figure out the cassette range that works for you. Don't get too big of a chainring. Even 50 is a little big for most people.

I live in, train and race mostly rolling hills. I did some read here on Dan's article on 1x. While I wish to keep my Rotor crank, I did gather that it is not simple slapping on a narrow/wide chaining.

It is. The SRAM 1x rings are fantastic and fix the chainline problem.

I am also not sure Rotor makes no Q narrow-wide chainring either.

They do, not that you could tell from their terrible "What's new at Rotor for 2013" website. The also make a 1x specific spider for your crank so you could have a Rotor 1x ring and have the 'proper chainline' you want (if using a narrow wide chainring that is NOT offset like the SRAM 1x rings). If you call the number on their USA specific website, you can get stuff pretty easily.
Last edited by: dangle: Oct 19, 17 16:58
Quote Reply
Re: Converting 10sp BMC TM01 to 1x Group [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just need Q-Rings, cannot live without it on my road bike, so I just get a 50t N/W QRing for my eTap 1x build ... but I cannot decide which crankset will work perfectly ... ¿Need to install a dedicated 1x cranks to avoid disalignment problems?

BTW: I would love a narrow wide Osy 52t ring for my tri bike

///AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT///
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mount a SRAM 1x on your current crank. Yes you can get SRAM single shifters... I'd go R2C. I ran a regular Force rear derailleur before going Etap. I've never dropped a chain when 1x, I think the real magic is the wide/narrow chain ring. I run an 11-28.

I use a SRAM Red chain but have read a Dura Ace chain with a replaceable link is the better way to go... but I think that's getting into splitting hairs territory.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting 10sp BMC TM01 to 1x Group [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for such a detailed write up. Will follow your instructions, very helpful. To everybody else also huge thanks, very helpful. I am excited is it will cost last than I thought.
Quote Reply