Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stages Podcast - 2018
Quote | Reply
At the end of the 2018 TDF Route Preview episode, Lance & JB said they will be doing more podcasts in 2018, including: Spring Classics [maybe Tour of Flanders] and Tour of California, as well as TDF and probably Colorado Classic again

He stated that they had plans to do maybe 50 shows? Is that too much?

Yeah, I know some will say ANY Lance is too much, so there's that

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Podcast - 2018 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've enjoyed it and will be tuning in for most of them. I'd love to hear about some of the races I'm not as familiar with, like the spring classics. I wasn't impressed with their Kona recap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What else does he have to do these days? I enjoy hearing about the event and some of the content is very good. The Ironman Stages were pretty solid. Especially the two with Mark Allen and Dave Scott. I wouldn't mind him having different IM personalities on through out the year for their view point. He apparently knows Messick, and Riccitello very well. I wouldn't mind hearing their thoughts on plans or direction of the sport. Some folks may not but that's cool too!

In the end I enjoy them if for nothing but talking points on the sport itself!
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Podcast - 2018 [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah some of it wasn't very educated. The interesting part was the talk about Sanders and his training habits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was disapointed in the Kona series. The interviews with Dave and Mark were fine, but JB doesn't know a thing about triathlon, and Lance doesn't seem current. They didn't understand the amateur or pro qualification system, and JB seems to think that 90% of the field is there just to finish. Maybe that's true at a typical IM, but not in Kona where almost everyone is an elite amateur who had to qualify at a full IM distance..

Lance was just days away from racing IM France when he was banned back in 2012. He knew that you couldn't qualify doing just 70.3 races.

I would have loved to hear Lance's race plan for Kona. I'm curious how far off the front he was hoping to go to hang on during the run. 10 minutes? 15?
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Podcast - 2018 [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree the Kona series wasn't very well informed, and if you're into the sport as much as most slowtwitchers, you've already heard Mark and Dave's stories a hundred times. It seemed like their target audience was cycling folks, not triathlon folks even though they were discussing triathlon. I still like hearing some of Lance's comments though, and I would bet he have Sanders on his forward podcast if Sanders would agree to it.

As far as if that's too many podcasts? What else to people have to do on their commute? The TdF podcasts were excellent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
I was disapointed in the Kona series. The interviews with Dave and Mark were fine, but JB doesn't know a thing about triathlon, and Lance doesn't seem current.

I was getting tired of him saying "Triathlon is really FIVE sports: swim, bike, run, hydration and nutrition"

He's not wrong, but did he need to say that somewhere in each episode?
"Hey Dave, Triathlon is really FIVE sports: swim, bike, run, hydration and nutrition. Aren't I clever?"
"Hey Mark, Triathlon is really FIVE sports: swim, bike, run, hydration and nutrition. Aren't I clever?"

Other than that ...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
At the end of the 2018 TDF Route Preview episode, Lance & JB said they will be doing more podcasts in 2018, including: Spring Classics [maybe Tour of Flanders] and Tour of California, as well as TDF and probably Colorado Classic again

He stated that they had plans to do maybe 50 shows? Is that too much?

Yeah, I know some will say ANY Lance is too much, so there's that
I wasn't a huge Lance fan, still not, but his FWD podcast is pretty good, I listen to it all the time when I am traveling for work (which is often) I didn't listen to the stages podcast but definitely will in 2018.

Also for those not familiar with the classics races, they are, IMO, the best, most exciting races of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
... and Lance doesn't seem current...

Interesting you say that. Because we know the sport, when he says something we can tell he's out of touch. For example when he quoted Lionel's 'world record'.

But speaking to some of the pro tour guys that did the TDF, and did listen to him, they said the exact same thing. He isn't very current.
Last edited by: marcag: Oct 20, 17 1:33
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Podcast - 2018 [wcroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the best part of the Kona shows was Lance's astonishment of Lionel Sanders -- and he mentioned that he would be a good Forward guest. I hope he does that. That might be a really interesting conversation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His insights on the TdF were eye opening. I'll definitely tune in for stages next year. His IM cast was pretty weak but I'll give him a pass. I used to love the fwd but the quality of his guests has really dropped off. Hoping he can bring it back.
Quote Reply