Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No 1x among Kona pros
Quote | Reply
Took a look through tririg's excellent kona pro bike gallery, and I was surprised not to see a single 1x setup among m or w. Is this just not being widely adopted? I thought it was moving much more into the mainstream and would have been more common this year.
Quote Reply
Re: No 1x among Kona pros [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I didn’t ride a 1x there my front shifting was broken from the first pedal stroke so I rode 1x without the aero benefits!
I think the risk of 1x when there are REALLY bad winds there is just too much because most pros ride a 55 for all the descending and wind at your back.
Quote Reply
Re: No 1x among Kona pros [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was also under the impression more x1s would be on course,how often do you need to change from big to small ring on this course
Quote Reply
Re: No 1x among Kona pros [Biggrub_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever raced the course? It is windy and hilly.
Quote Reply
Re: No 1x among Kona pros [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No riding on the course whatsoever,Hope i do some day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggrub_tri wrote:
Was also under the impression more x1s would be on course,how often do you need to change from big to small ring on this course

While i've never done the full Kona course, I've done the 70.3 twice which has all the major hills, the only climb where one may want to go to small ring is the Kawaihae climb on the way back to Kona. With a 1x and the right ratios, it's so short that it would be just fine. I am surprised pros aren't adopting it and I would love to switch to it myself since I try to keep myself to flat, windy courses only (I'm heavy)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is windy and hilly, probably why the pros (if not most people) rode with 2x chainrings. I only did it once back in 2003, there was a headwind for the first part, it then climbed up to Hawi with a headwind, then coming back the wind shifted back the other way for another headwind for the last 50 km or so.

The pros get out on the course much earlier and avoid alot of the wind changes, but still not a risk worth taking to be left short on gears when you actually need them.
Quote Reply