China's economic superiority
Quote | Reply
China has no competition...

https://www.bloomberg.com/...-economy-not-the-u-s

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: China's economic superiority [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why we all need to learn Mandarin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First article tells how great China's economy is and the one below it talks about all the problems it has. I think that China at least for the foreseeable future will be concerned with its own problems rather than being aggressive outside its borders. They want to maintain high employment as one part of strategy to maintain public order. In the not too distant future they will have to deal with a lopsided population distribution due to the one child policy.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This shift in power balance was inevitable. I always expected that this shift would take a generation or two, and that I and my kids would be safe in the knowledge that as 'westerners' we were living in the economic and cultural global power center. All kidding aside - I am convinced that the result of the last US election has advanced that power shift from 50 years to 5.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh.

I wouldn't trade China's looming environmental and social problems with the U.S.'s for any price.

Also this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"China has no competition... "

But won't that change once Trump brings all those jobs back. :-)

But seriously, China is going to be dealing with a lot of social, political and environmental problems in the not too distant future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent about a month in China, and the thing that struck me the most was the poverty once you got out of the large cities. I thought that the suggestion they were an economic powerhouse was way overstated. They weren't remotely close to the Western world and with their population, they will need to add millions of jobs just to stay even.

Then there was the environmental disaster. I keep hearing how China will lead the world in renewable energy but it sure didn't look like that. A good portion of the country wear masks when outside because of the air pollution and the rivers are little more than sewers. The political situation is also backwards. The much vaunted "economic freedom" is a farce as all public companies need a certain percentage of their Board as members of the Party.

The last thing I would want to see is the rise of China, the last thing the world needs.
Quote Reply
Re: China's economic superiority [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of interest, what are the actual benefits of living in "the economic and cultural global power center "?

I'm British. In the last 150 years or so we've gone from being the biggest superpower in the world to being the 6th biggest economy. My grandparents lived through a period where our global standing diminished significantly. It's not something that particularly bothers me or anybody else I know though. What matters is quality of life - prosperity, security, culture, etc. I don't really give a damn that the Chinese and Japanese now have bigger economies than us. Good for them. USA is going to be a major economic and cultural power (just as UK still is, just not as major as we used to be) for the foreseeable future. What does it matter if you're no longer number one if you still have happy, prosperous lives?
Quote Reply