Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Miami 70.3 IV Drip Sponsor????? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

That quote comes from this USADA page: IV Infusions: Explanatory Note

It makes it pretty clear that: "IV infusions during home visits, urgent care or after-hours clinics, boutique IV and rehydration services, and doctor’s office visits are not hospital admissions and would require an approved TUE in advance."

Well I'll be damned. I hadn't considered it being used as a masking or diluting agent. I viewed it as a recovery tool, like those blow-up compression leg boot things, or a soak in an ice bath.

I ran Bryce Canyon 100 this year in the blistering heat (fucking hot!), drove to Vegas afterward & had planned to get an IV so I would not embarrass myself at the bars. As it turned out, I felt OK so i passed on the IV. But even in light of this new info, and under the same circumstances I've outlined here, I wouldn't hesitate to do it next time. Odd, because typically, I am a super-stickler for rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Miami 70.3 IV Drip Sponsor????? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one who thinks there's something funny going on in your head when you think of an IV as something elective to make a night out more palatable when you're a bit run down?
If you've done a major event and you're fatigued and/or dehydrated, get some rest and drink some fluids. If you can't manage the night out, skip it. If it's unmissable, maybe you aren't available for the preceding event?

An IV is a medical intervention. Start normalising that as part and parcel of sport and it's a very, very slippery slope.
Put it this way, I'd be very suspicious that anyone who normalises use of an IV is likely in the habit of normalising the abnormal, or imagining everyone else is doing it. Doping for example.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Miami 70.3 IV Drip Sponsor????? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks there's something funny going on in your head when you think of an IV as something elective to make a night out more palatable when you're a bit run down?

+1

Furthermore, it seems like there's little evidence to suggest it's any better than oral rehydration outside of an acute medical condition that prevents this method e.g. gastrointestinal distress or vomiting. In short, if your condition is bad enough to require an IV you shouldn't be hitting up the bars in Vegas. Otherwise it's just an expensive way to take a pee.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Miami 70.3 IV Drip Sponsor????? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
If you've done a major event and you're fatigued and/or dehydrated, get some rest and drink some fluids. If you can't manage the night out, skip it. If it's unmissable, maybe you aren't available for the preceding event?

An IV is a medical intervention. Start normalising that as part and parcel of sport and it's a very, very slippery slope.
Put it this way, I'd be very suspicious that anyone who normalises use of an IV is likely in the habit of normalising the abnormal, or imagining everyone else is doing it. Doping for example.

I agree with most of what you've typed - but dumbasses who run 100's aren't normal to begin with. :)

I only run two or three 100's a year. The majority of the races are nowhere near a rocking, all-night hotspot. So the opportunity to, or even consideration to top myself off with fluids was a pretty isolated incident.

For the record, I've never had an IV. Furthermore, I bet I have taken no more than 3 over-the-counter medications in the last 20 years. You know, like popping an ibuprofen after one of these stupid races. That would count as one of the 3 incidents.

I always feel like I"m hungover for a couple days after one of these long-ass races, so, yeah, I'd be willing to give it a try once to see what effect it would have on me.

As I said earlier, weird, cause I am pretty stickler for rules, and am pretty anti-drugs of any kind.
Quote Reply

Prev Next