Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Custom TT Saddle: Winter Project
Quote | Reply
I've posted on here in the past with some of my custom saddle projects. The custom road saddle I had made is hands down the best road saddle I could hope for.

I've been using the ISM PN3.0 and it's an improvement over the ISM PN1.0, but it rounds off too much at the nose and it's a tad too wide for me. I like the Cobb JOF55, but it flares out too much, too soon in the rear for me. I've used the Dash Tri.7, but the nose rounds off too much for me a the front. So, here's the next saddle design I'd like to try; I'll report back:

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Jan 30, 18 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: Custom TT Saddle: Winter Project [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. How did you arrive at your measurements? 2. Can you post specs for the road saddle?
Thanks!

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom TT Saddle: Winter Project [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comparative measurements between saddles, making best guesses at which characteristics I preferred from each saddle.

The road saddle is simply an ISM Podium stripped of padding to the shell, a carbon shell molded from this plastic shell. The length is 18cm and Simmons bonded rails from a Dash Tri.7 to the shell. He then covered the shell with a layer of foam and added some foam to the rear to ensure the saddle was flat across the top (the ISM podium shell has an 'm' shape), and then added a layer of 3M carbon dinoc vinyl. [note: these saddles are one-offs and Simmons is not selling them; he gifted me this saddle as a friendly gesture]

Last edited by: milesthedog: Jan 30, 18 15:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could kinda tune the width with the adjustable Hilo saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were making a custom saddle, why would you not make a custom mold of your 'anatomy' for the carbon layup? Would this not reduce pressure points? It could be easily done with modeling clay to give a more uniform contact area, thus spreading out the pressure. After you have that, you could decide where the cutouts go.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
If you were making a custom saddle, why would you not make a custom mold of your 'anatomy' for the carbon layup? Would this not reduce pressure points? It could be easily done with modeling clay to give a more uniform contact area, thus spreading out the pressure. After you have that, you could decide where the cutouts go.

Stephen J

I'm not convinced a custom molded saddle would work well in the real world - maybe the body interacts better with shapes contrary to the anatomy in contact with the surface...?

I do have custom molded shoes, so I can entertain the value in a custom molded saddle and I'll give it some thought. The 8 degree angle built into that illustration above accounts for the shape of the ichium & pubis (images below), creating a 'cup' effect. Would a full on cup shaped specifically for a hip-rotated forward TT position be ideal, with an opening to prevent soft tissue pressure?

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 19, 17 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. I think ST can be a little brutal so putting your ideas out there is pretty cool.

I'm curious because I've made several saddles myself [I use fiberglass for cost]. Mostly reforming SMP Dynamic (cutting off the part that hurts the giblets), and a version of the PN 1.1. It looks like you're having someone else do the fabrication but I was wondering if you'd indulge me in some Q&A:

1. How are they/you bonding the rails to the shell? I've done this but my versions are a bit sloppy.
2. It seems pretty narrow - obviously personal preference. My sweet spot is 7.5cm wide, 8cm from the nose. (statement, no real question :-)
3. The 8 degree bend seems too far back to use as pelvic rotation (assist). Do you plan to sit that far back? How did you come up with the length maybe is what I'm asking.
4. Any plans to add bottle bosses somewhere on this? I made a saddle from a carbon fork (yes, that true) and attached the water bottle holder that comes with the Fabric Tri saddle. It worked great! But the reach back to the cage was where I screwed up. Just curious if you've thought about adding bosses for bottles or some sort of storage (e.g. for a flat kit).

Great work man! Keep creating!
Quote Reply
Re: Custom TT Saddle: Winter Project [GreenBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies for making this brief, but in the middle of some work tonight. answers in bold:

GreenBoy wrote:
Thanks for posting. I think ST can be a little brutal so putting your ideas out there is pretty cool.

I'm curious because I've made several saddles myself [I use fiberglass for cost]. Mostly reforming SMP Dynamic (cutting off the part that hurts the giblets), and a version of the PN 1.1. It looks like you're having someone else do the fabrication but I was wondering if you'd indulge me in some Q&A:

1. How are they/you bonding the rails to the shell? I've done this but my versions are a bit sloppy.
I don't know! Simmons did he appeared to use some epoxy that looks like tar: black and slightly globbed around where the rail attaches to the shell
2. It seems pretty narrow - obviously personal preference. My sweet spot is 7.5cm wide, 8cm from the nose. (statement, no real question :-)
So I do enjoy the wideness of the opening of the PN3.0, but the outside-outside measurement of the arms do hit nerves that cause my some issues, and interferes with seams. So, I'm still going with a wide opening, just narrower arms
3. The 8 degree bend seems too far back to use as pelvic rotation (assist). Do you plan to sit that far back? How did you come up with the length maybe is what I'm asking.
Agree. I measured this on my PN3.0 and found where my ischial tuberosity are touching on that saddle is 6-7cm back from the tip. I'm on the tilt and prefer to be on the tilt so maybe the flat section is more for make the saddle look less tilted, but also to see if it provides a 'cupping' effect. I'm unsure and will have to test it. I could always just try having molded 'craters' in the saddle arms that 'lock' me in place vs a tilt... unsure at this point
4. Any plans to add bottle bosses somewhere on this? I made a saddle from a carbon fork (yes, that true) and attached the water bottle holder that comes with the Fabric Tri saddle. It worked great! But the reach back to the cage was where I screwed up. Just curious if you've thought about adding bosses for bottles or some sort of storage (e.g. for a flat kit).
Not right now. I prefer to use my speedbox (Trek SC) and bottles up front vs outback and I have giant aero bottle that's replacing the bento box as seen on Tim Reed's Trek, and use downtube cages and jersey pockets for lock TT rides during training.

Great work man! Keep creating!

Quote Reply