Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Me too [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty stupid point to make. Nobody claimed that Weinstein's actions were the benchmark for what constitutes sexual harassment.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Me too [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you just did in your prior post - and this equivalency has been one of yours, sheer and dudfy’s main points
Quote Reply
Re: Me too [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're just making shit up at this point.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Me too [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously.

It's the hashtaggery itself that makes the claim of equivalency. "Oh, I see there were a lot of women who were sexually harassed in the most extreme way, many of them sexually assaulted, and some of them possibly even raped outright. #metoo."

sphere's original point was that many of the women who posted the hashtag weren't, probably, victims of the same level of harassment/abuse/rape, and that including every minor incident in the campaign trivializes the serious abuse.

A lot of people have observed the very large number of women who posted #metoo, and claimed that every women has been the victim of some sort of harassment. That makes it sound as if women are showing up to work and getting raped by the boss on a regular basis, which is ridiculous. Most of the behavior tagged #metoo does not come close to Weinstein's. Does that matter? Yeah, it matters. How we should proceed to address the problem depends on how widespread the problem actually is, and how severe it is. If women are routinely getting raped in workplaces across America, we might need to do something dramatically different than if women just occasionally get leered at or feel uncomfortable or are slighted or whatever.

All these cases are not the same. They shouldn't be given equivalency because it's somehow not acceptable to question a woman who claims to have been sexually harassed without even providing details of her claim.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

sphere's original point was that many of the women who posted the hashtag weren't, probably, victims of the same level of harassment/abuse/rape, and that including every minor incident in the campaign trivializes the serious abuse.

I disagree with this. What they are trying to do is make the minor stuff major. Someone called you sweetie at work? Well, you were practically raped!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right. Which kinda trivializes rape, no?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adam Sandler caught groping a woman during interview:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Right. Which kinda trivializes rape, no?

For the sane, yes. But for the insane it maximizes the horribleness of the sweetie comment. And that's the group they are focusing on.

Quote Reply
Re: Me too [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Duffy wrote:
And just point of contention here, being attracted to 14 year olds isn’t pediphilia, unless that 14 yo is very late bloomer.

I agree, but lifting a 14 year old onto a bed and getting on top of them is certainly a few steps further than attraction. I wonder where the kids parents were.

That would be attempted rape.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Me too [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I'm guessing this is now a thing in the broadening wake of the HW serial abuser scandal, and yes I understand I'm in no position to tell an actual victim how they should respond, but given that it now appears to be the de rigueur facebook and twitter status among the SJW crowd--you can predict almost to the individual who will post it--I wonder if it's watering down the message and the intended impact. I mean, either nearly everyone is a victim, or some people are vastly overstating their victimhood. I have no idea which is the case, but it's hard not to presume the latter in today's climate.

I've never been sexually assaulted, though I could list a half a dozen times female superiors made comments or behaved in ways that I could legitimately describe as sexual harassment, but I don't consider myself a victim of either.

Quote:
#MeToo Floods Social Media With Stories of Harassment and Assault

https://www.nytimes.com/...witter-facebook.html

I tend to believe this ever expanding culture of victimhood does more harm than good. I don't know what the end goal is here, beyond "awareness raising" of the problem, but I know for certain that it adds to the narrative of an unjust society that by all appearances is worsening by the day, despite actual evidence to the contrary.

So after 17 pages of back and forth, a few weeks have passed. Now do you think there have been any positive effects of this campaign? I am not asking facetiously. Lots of prominent people being outed as either predators or at the very least asshats. Seems to me that the movement has at a very minimum emboldened some victims. So maybe, just maybe there is some value to "awareness raising".

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Me too [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Now do you think there have been any positive effects of this campaign?

Sure. I'm not losing any sleep over creepers getting their comeuppance. In fact, I think this was a highly effective "awareness raising" campaign, insofar as it put offenders on notice that the collision of old-school assgrabbery and the age of social media will not end well for them. Apparently that's a message that needed high profile delivery.

It's also notable that the large majority of outed offenders are of an older generation and are being skewered for past sins far more so than those recent. That may be representative of the fact that high profile people tend to be older in general, or it may harbor some truth about younger people's understanding of appropriate behavior and personal boundaries. My concerns about painting a picture of a now that largely reflects then remain, and it's a concern that applies broadly about the diverging trend lines in public opinion regarding the perception and the reality of justice in modern America, but I've always maintained that sunlight is the best disinfectant, so I'm not protesting too loudly about the direction this is taking.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Nov 21, 17 6:32
Quote Reply
Re: Me too [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So after 17 pages of back and forth, a few weeks have passed. Now do you think there have been any positive effects of this campaign? I am not asking facetiously. Lots of prominent people being outed as either predators or at the very least asshats. Seems to me that the movement has at a very minimum emboldened some victims. So maybe, just maybe there is some value to "awareness raising".

I'm thinking that when the history books are written, the me too# thing will be credited with starting a cultural tidal wave.

And I was a doubter.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Me too [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a doubter as well - not anymore. Unless/until we see accusations of minor instances and false accusations I’m glad this shit is getting exposed. Virtually all are repeat, clear offenders and the offended are emboldened.

Good. Fucking great. My only complaint is the private sector DBags are skewered and the politicians, this far, are skating. That’s a damn shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hyde (Danny Masterson) come on down! Charged with 3 counts of rape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Masterson trial just wrapped up the Find Out phase.

Quote:
Actor Danny Masterson was sentenced on Thursday to 30 years to life in prison after he was convicted on two counts of rape in a Los Angeles courtroom in June, according to Deputy D.A. Reinhold Mueller of the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office.

The “That ’70s Show” star, 47, was found guilty in June on two of three counts of rape. The jury was deadlocked on the third count.

Masterson was taken into custody following the verdict earlier this year, and on Thursday received the maximum penalty for the crimes.

Masterson had pleaded not guilty to raping three women at his home in separate incidents between 2001 and 2003.

I don't think I've ever heard of a penalty this harsh for rape, though I don't know the presumably aggravating circumstances.

Last edited by: sphere: Sep 7, 23 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
The sentence was the maximum allowed by law. It means Masterson will be eligible for parole after serving 25 1/2 years, but can be held in prison for life.

“I know that you’re sitting here steadfast in your claims of innocence, and thus no doubt feeling victimized by a justice system that has failed you,” Olmedo told Masterson before handing down the sentence. “But Mr. Masterson, you are not the victim here. Your actions 20 years ago took away another person’s voice, and choice. One way or another you will have to come to terms with your prior actions, and their consequences.”

Prosecutors alleged that Masterson used his prominence in the Church of Scientology — where all three women were also members at the time — to avoid consequences for decades after the attacks, and the women blamed the church for their hesitancy in going to police about Masterson.

At the sentencing hearing, one of the women, who like Masterson was born into the church, said she was shunned and ostracized for going to authorities in 2004.

The women testified at both trials that in 2003, they were at Masterson’s home when he drugged them before violently raping them.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Me too [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok then. Not a whisp of sympathy from me. What a POS.

Quote Reply
Re: Me too [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you been following the Kucher-Kunis saga? Hoo boy that went over about as well as I was expecting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Have you been following the Kucher-Kunis saga? Hoo boy that went over about as well as I was expecting.

I'm going to not trash them. They aren't rocket surgeons and they were asked to talk about someone who was their friend for years. Kutcher also was very careful before when asked about the case. Said something about hoping it wasn't true but he couldn't comment further because he didn't know.

It would have been much better to shut up but I can see why they did it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next