Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Long flat road near raleigh? [bullmoose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I ride an in-town route, I pay attention to my Wahoo's "cafe' time" or the difference in total and moving time in Strava. The less, the better the route.

If you want hills, I've got some hills for you. I have a route in Raleigh with 3000 feet in 30 miles. Basically a loop with some hills in N HIlls, behind the Wade Ave Whole Foods, the Art Museum, thru Umstead, then back home. It's like 3-4 miles gravel in Umstead for a challenge.

I'll warn you on the Crankarm rides, if you go in the "busy season" it's a little too much to handle. And it's always a very very slow pace. It's a brewery crawl ride. Sometimes people race up a hill or something, but the ride leads get pissy. And they use a lot of questionable greenway/street combos that don't work for big groups in downtown Raleigh. I don't want to hate on it, because it's a very nice group of people to ride with for relaxing fun and some awesome people giving their time for the group ride and pizza afterwards. This summer I stopped going when 3 weeks in a row there was a crash and it took over 10 minutes to make it thru a stoplight due to group size.

If you're a State student, NC State has a dedicated FB page for cycling and they do early morning rides out to Jubala North of town and to Lochmere South of town once a week. Looking at their posts though, there's definitely a few that fancy themselves as "racer boys" and girls and don't seem to care for more chill riders. Worth a shot, it may just be that I'm old (33) now and that's not my scene. Lots of folks my age have a hard time "fitting in". It's either too young and racy, too young and chill, or too old and way too slow. I dunno. I'm just picky since I don't have a lot of time to ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Long flat road near raleigh? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
it may just be that I'm old (33) now and that's not my scene.

Don't you dare say that! I'm 32. . . I don't want to feel old :(

Speaking of those hills, behind the art museum and Meridith definately can be rough. I run through there a lot and see guys on the greenway hitting them, but never thought to take a bike through there with all the pedestrians.

If your in town or near, you should get some run time in with all the run clubs we have now. Runologie is tonight at 6. I'll be there.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Long flat road near raleigh? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 30 and it's just all down hill from here.....

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
it may just be that I'm old (33) now and that's not my scene.

Don't you dare say that! I'm 32. . . I don't want to feel old :(

Speaking of those hills, behind the art museum and Meridith definately can be rough. I run through there a lot and see guys on the greenway hitting them, but never thought to take a bike through there with all the pedestrians.

If your in town or near, you should get some run time in with all the run clubs we have now. Runologie is tonight at 6. I'll be there.

Yeah I really like that stretch of greenway through Meredith and NCMA. Run there quite a bit. Some great short and punchy hills. I ride through there on weekday mornings sometimes because there aren't many pedestrians then, and like to go do hill sprints there if I want to mix things up.

I can't go tonight as I have class but I'll look at their calendar and see when their runs normally are. How does it work - do they have pace groups or all run together?
Quote Reply
Re: Long flat road near raleigh? [bullmoose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have theirs every Thursday at 6, but have some on Sundays and do a bunch of things. People tend to group up depending on ability and there are 3 routes (3.5,4.7, and a 6). It starts on Hillsborough then runs down to Western and through State's campus before heading through and back up to Hillsborough then take it back downtown.

Also, there are clubs that meet every day of the week at the different breweries. This one is beside state of Beer and people hang out for a drink or two afterwards.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love riding through Meredith's greenway system. It's fun and nice to be off the roads for a bit.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next