Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Direct drive smart trainer vs regular smart trainer
Quote | Reply
What's the difference between these and is it worth the extra money? I'm looking at the tacx lineup, because I can get them for a great deal. Is it worth double the money for a neo or flux vs the other smart trainers in the line up? I do 90% of my riding on the trainer(100%in winter) and plan on using zwift this year
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive smart trainer vs regular smart trainer [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a smart wheel on trainer and upgraded to a Cycleops Hammer. I'm glad I did.

I like not having to have an extra trainer wheel, like not having to inflate (I know it's a small thing, but for me it's a perk), it's a lot quieter, and it has way more features than my old one (granted newer wheel on smart trainers do, too).

If you can swing it I think they're overall better and worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive smart trainer vs regular smart trainer [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest difference is noise. Direct drives are much quieter, since you don't have the additional noise cause by the tire on the trainer drum. Tire wear is another touted benefit, but most people just use an old tire on the trainer and ride it until they've ridden through the rubber...

FWIW I just bought a Flux, haven't ridden it yet (picking it up from the shop in the next day or two) because I could get a good deal on it, and couldn't justify the extra $$ for the Neo for a bit more resistance and for something that is 10decibles quieter... I have a friend who had the Neo, then sold it and went with the flux and loves it, and notes that she can't really feel a difference between the two (beyond the easier portability and stowability of the Neo).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently shifted from a Kurt Kinetic Rock'n'Roll to a Cycleops Hammer, and must say I'm loving it. No more having to fiddle to make sure the tire isn't slipping, quieter, always ready to go. I do about 80% of my training indoors using Trainerroad, and love the mindlessness of the Cycleops in Erg mode. Just start the movie and start pedaling and the app takes care of the rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Neo and love it. I picked it because it's the quietest direct drive trainer out there, the most accurate, and doesn't require calibration. I do not miss having to screw around with rear wheels/tires on the trainer, and all the accompanying noise. The simulated road surface feature is nifty too, but doesn't work in Erg mode.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive smart trainer vs regular smart trainer [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for my stupidity, but I'm not a tech nerd. What exactly is erg mode?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://support.trainerroad.com/...4-Erg-Mode-Explained

very briefly, erg mode is when the trainer automatically adjust it's resistance, e.g. when doing 10mins 200 watts intervals, the trainer will force you to do that interval at 200 watts, regardless what your cadence is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive smart trainer vs regular smart trainer [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys! Sounds like erg mode would be awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a computrainer which is wheel on. I’m about one flat tire away from doing this to it:

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive smart trainer vs regular smart trainer [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry for the ignorance but I'm hopping someone with a little kindness and patience can answer some really stupid questions. I have a Computrainer. I think I've had it since the Clinton administration. It finally died and so I've started looking for a replacement. I use it for excersize when I'm too soft to deal with weather. I don't train under some great coach looking to shave precious seconds off my Ironman time. I just ride it. I like looking at watts and heart rate but not in some scientific way. I like making my own courses on the Computrainer software so that I can cater to my softness. I like that the Computrainer software is pretty and gives me something to look at. Occasionally I like "racing" against a previous PR on a certain course.

I get the world changed and Computrainer didn't and all the trainers now are ANT+ & Bluetooth etc. but none of these reviews talk about the software. I don't want an app on a phone. I want a big screen on a PC. Can someone give me a quick lesson on what kind of software modern trainers come with and what comes closest to the Computrainer? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive smart trainer vs regular smart trainer [Wingsofglass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift with any modern trainer is what you’re looking for. I use Zwift with a pc hooked up to a 27in monitor that is mounted directly in front of the bike. I actually have 2 monitors, 1 has Zwift full screen and the other I use for videos/music/training peaks or whatever. Lately I’ve been riding and watching game of thrones, just finished season 5 tonight actually.

I have a computrainer plugged into the PC and an ANT+ dongle that receives hr from my Garmin 735 in broadcast mode. You could also use a regular hr strap or a Bluetooth strap if your pc has Bluetooth.

With my pc/ant setup I could theoretically swap the computrainer for a different trainer as long as it supports ant+. There is a specific ant+ profile that is for controller trainers but I can’t think of it right now.

Btw, they do make adapters for an iPhone that let you plug it into a monitor. I use one for my treadmill. Then you could use Zwift on the phone output to a tv or monitor (uses HDMI) and have the trainer connect to your phone via Bluetooth. You’d need a Bluetooth hr strap but those are pretty cheap.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive smart trainer vs regular smart trainer [Wingsofglass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wingsofglass wrote:
I'm sorry for the ignorance but I'm hopping someone with a little kindness and patience can answer some really stupid questions. I have a Computrainer. I think I've had it since the Clinton administration. It finally died and so I've started looking for a replacement. I use it for excersize when I'm too soft to deal with weather. I don't train under some great coach looking to shave precious seconds off my Ironman time. I just ride it. I like looking at watts and heart rate but not in some scientific way. I like making my own courses on the Computrainer software so that I can cater to my softness. I like that the Computrainer software is pretty and gives me something to look at. Occasionally I like "racing" against a previous PR on a certain course.

I get the world changed and Computrainer didn't and all the trainers now are ANT+ & Bluetooth etc. but none of these reviews talk about the software. I don't want an app on a phone. I want a big screen on a PC. Can someone give me a quick lesson on what kind of software modern trainers come with and what comes closest to the Computrainer? Thanks.

You might consider the bkool library if all you want to do is watch yourself virtually. I am not sure if you need to buy a bkool to access it or you can just pay a monthly fee. Otherwise as mentioned Zwift is the one for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive smart trainer vs regular smart trainer [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chris. So one more stupid question. Once I download Zwift and set up whatever course I want, do I need to be online to use it? I get I can't race against other people or join group rides without being online but if I just want to race against myself or ride a course alone, do I need an internet connection?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ERG mode I think is THE best feature on any smart trainer.

Its the only way I train, and absolutely love the simplicity of it.
Just put in your FTP in Trainerroad, pick your workout, and keep a cadence that you find reasonable. No change of gears or anything. The resistance on the trainer changes automatically depending on the where you are on the workout.

Best investment by far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it does require a constant internet connection.

--Chris
Quote Reply