Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Google Maps pulls calorie count feature [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
Motivation to get into an stay in shape is entirely up to the person, if they're triggered by seeing calories everywhere then they need to get their head screwed on straight before they even think about tackling weight loss.

I don't disagree with you, but I agree with Ms. Zerwas coming from a slightly different angle. I go to Google Maps to get directions. It's phenomenally good it. And I want it to communicate direction-related information to me in the cleanest, simplest way possible. Having extra numbers on the screen that are totally unrelated to me understanding where I am and where I want to go is bad. They're a distraction.

Google has nice APIs for 3rd-party integration. If some business or organization wants to use Google Maps to integrate a calorie counting deal, then great. Do that.

But don't force me to participate in some calorie-counting crusade by including it in the base app.

This ↑ ↑ ↑. But I am upset that google is getting bullied by fatties.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Maps pulls calorie count feature [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:

Seems like a simple disable option would have made everyone happy.

Enable option, and we'll call it good. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Google Maps pulls calorie count feature [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sad thing about this (although I could be presuming too much) is instead of taking the "Mom, my coach said x at practice today" and turning it into an important conversation about the interplay of nutrition and sports performance, body image, and self worth, she went ahead and decided to yell at someone instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Maps pulls calorie count feature [jschm13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jschm13 wrote:
The sad thing about this (although I could be presuming too much) is instead of taking the "Mom, my coach said x at practice today" and turning it into an important conversation about the interplay of nutrition and sports performance, body image, and self worth, she went ahead and decided to yell at someone instead.

Exactly.

This mom has a rep for running to the school over the slightest, stupidest little things but this one was a real WTF.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Maps pulls calorie count feature [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Agreed. Simple show/hide toggle would've done it imo, maybe if you toggle to show it'd default to the walking directions.

It wouldn't have taken much to have given the calorie count a chance but instead Google just backed off it. It's just a wimpy 'don't offend anyone' type of move.

Incorrect. Even having the option of showing calories is a trigger.

Having the word calorie listed in dictionaries is a trigger.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next