Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Malaysia
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Absolute novice here and have, against all common sense, signed up for IM Malaysia in Langkawi. Quick question for those who have done the course, is it worth getting deep rim wheels for the bike course or not advisable? I’m just looking to complete within the time cap but want to make sure i’m using my energy as efficiently as possible ie. Power/energy savings going with deep wheels vs regular wheels. Hopefully this isn’t a dumb question

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [Chi79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several of our athletes are going to the race as it´s very close to our base here in Phuket, Thailand. Wind hasn´t been an issue in the past years, and the course isn´t too hilly, so a deep rim will work well.

Have a good race

-
Thanyapura Triathlon Team
Team of triathletes of all levels, first timers to Professionals Ironman Champions, representing Thanyapura Sport Center in Phuket & racing all over the world! Join our team:
https://www.thanyapura.com/...lon-online-coaching/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [thanyapura_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [Chi79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree its ok to use deep rims if you use them regularly in moderate conditions but it depends on your ability to handle them. It doesnt take much for deep rims to get twitchy.
My best tip for malaysia is to use two camelbaks (on the bike) packed with mainly ice cubes.
as your overheating body is being cooled by the melting ice you can sip the cold water all through the bike, its fantastic! You can swap camelbaks at the special needs, even better if you have some support to make sure the ice is intact just before you get it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [cantswim24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I’ve not been training with deep wheels so there’ll need to be some familiarization and confidence building. I wasn’t thinking of going super deep, maybe the zipp 404 in front and 808 in rear.

The ice camelbaks sounds like a great idea. I might just adopt that tactic
Quote Reply