Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Talk me into joining a masters swim club....
Quote | Reply
Was at the pool at 5:30am this morning to swim some long course laps before work (work out before work and after work). I am saving for a new bike - as I do not finance toys - so running, swimming, and core/lifting at the moment.

There was a masters team there. I'm 29 and most of them were about my age or younger. To be candid, that black line gets boring and I've never really NOT been part of a sports team since I could walk. Never a swimmer though. I was a diver for 7 years +/- and was always around them.

Is it worth paying what would be $50 a month? The practices are every day of the week in the mornings at two pools very close by (I'm in Tampa). I'm a cheap bast*rd so yes or no and why or why not.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into joining a masters swim club.... [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Join...

- because the people are awesome (usually).

- because masters meets are more fun with teammates.

- because team social events are great.

- because there is always someone else who can push you in practice.

- because it gives you something to focus on besides the black line.

- because swimming on the wall lane with a bunch of fast guys is as close to mass start open water chop conditions as you are gonna get in the pool (plus our pool has currents to navigate too!)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends. I work shifts so found the money wasn't worth the limited sessions I could attend. There is an assumption you are already a proficient swimmer technique wise at the club I tried. Relentless up and down with limited rest was great for raising my anaerobic threshold but not technique, we did no technique work. The coach would tell me off if I wasn't doing a powerful 6 beat kick all the time. There seemed to be very little difference between an easy set and a hard set (group dynamics). It was great for being a good pool swimmer but seemed to have little relevance to triathlon. My club let me try for a couple of weeks before I had to commit to becoming a member, maybe you can do the same?

Despite all that I pushed so hard, way harder than I ever thought possible. I felt sick from the start and before you knew it the hour was done. Could never do that in a workout by myself.
Last edited by: InvictaScoop: Oct 18, 17 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into joining a masters swim club.... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything JasoninHalifax said.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it way easier to get through a structured workout with people, and I get way more out of it with external motivation. I have a dumb trainer in my basement and I make it ~25 minutes before wanting to quit, but with a masters coach/team the hour just flies by.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into joining a masters swim club.... [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew Jason would pipe in haha solid points though. Thanks

Now granted - I know nothing of "proper" technique other than my friends and listening to coaches while waiting to get on the diving board for years. I consider myself a strong swimmer with a good engine but what workouts mean, how they are structured, types of kicks, etc I am ignorant of. I just swim freestyle and if something "feels" to make it easier then I do it and research later to see the cause/effect. I understand proper technique but someone watching you make mistakes vs you "feeling" yourself making them is entirely different and that is where I think it can help.

Would a masters program care or not want to take the time to actually coach technique? Or i suppose this depends on the coach and the personality of said coach?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:

Would a masters program care or not want to take the time to actually coach technique? Or i suppose this depends on the coach and the personality of said coach?

It really depends on the team / coach.... We have 2 coaches who coach on different days, plus some others who step in on occasion. their personalities are quite different. Both are knowledgeable, but one is more likely to volunteer information whilst the other you have to ask a little more.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$50 a month for everyday....what is reason you wouldn’t do it again?

That’s cheap as hell.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:

In my experience it depends on the coach and the swimmer. In our program the coaches are typically happy to help but unless you ask or they see something terrible they're not going to provide a lot of feedback on technique.

I would definitely suggest it, it's definitely helped me improve my swimming and it also means you don't have to think about what to do for your workout each morning, which is an added bonus in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into joining a masters swim club.... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
$50 a month for everyday....what is reason you wouldn’t do it again?

That’s cheap as hell.

Yea it is:

Mon - Fri: 5:30am - 6:30am at one pool short course
Mon, Wed, Fri - " " at the other pool long course.

Both pools 5 mins from my house.

Haha the gym membership, then this membership, then equipment for running, swimming, and soon biking (saving for that). Triathlon adds up! I do suppose it is fairly cheap in retrospect considering my parents were paying $400 a month for some of my other sports when I was younger.

Alright, I might give it a whirl...if I dislike it, I can always quit I suppose
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it. I began racing last year and was hesitant to spend more money than I needed. I joined and I love it. There is every level of ability at the masters I go to from beginner to Olympians. The head coach is also a gold medalist and between all the coaches, they have provided valuable insight on my stroke. It's great when you don't come from a swimming background and someone can provide in the moment feedback.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you went 3 days a week that’s still only $4 a session. To get eyes on you and/or group workout setting for $50 a month is cheap as hell.

If you can get over the initial bike investment you’ll start to settle down the costs over time. So there is that as well.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into joining a masters swim club.... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
If you went 3 days a week that’s still only $4 a session. To get eyes on you and/or group workout setting for $50 a month is cheap as hell.

If you can get over the initial bike investment you’ll start to settle down the costs over time. So there is that as well.

I would hate to be the significant others of you people haha

"but honey - the bike is only $6000. Ill have it three years a least. That is only $5.40 a day. You spend more than that at Starbucks. Plus it will make me sexy and you want a sexy partner. We could just re-do the kitchen though and I can cook and get fat. It is really your choice though"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it.

I used to struggle with swimming. Now it's my best sport and I love it, mainly due to my involvement with masters.

All you have to do is show up and work hard. The coaches plan to workout for you.

Eat your humble pie early, learn from the stronger swimmers.

There's always someone next to you to push you harder then you would go if you were alone.

Watch your swim times plummet next race season.

It's really that simple

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 10 years into this sport and the most important decisions I made were:

- joining masters for the swim
- trainerroad for the bike
- learning to run easy and strength train for the run

Absolutely. Join.

In fact we just had a Kona party at someone’s house... all of our families came, we’ve been swimming for 5-10 years together and have become close friends (and rivals!!)

Never would be happening if I didn’t join
Last edited by: randomtriguy: Oct 18, 17 7:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

I would hate to be the significant others of you people haha

"but honey - the bike is only $6000. Ill have it three years a least. That is only $5.40 a day. You spend more than that at Starbucks. Plus it will make me sexy and you want a sexy partner. We could just re-do the kitchen though and I can cook and get fat. It is really your choice though"

Well, if you look at it as any other hobby you could break it down in that manner. Take someone who reads significantly, they may go through 3 or 4 books a week. Whats the breakdown of a book or to join a book of the month club? Some people just watch tv and movies so you have to factor the cable bill, netfilx/hulu, whatever into the cost.

I just broke and bought a new bike because the one I had was 18 years old. I couldn't afford to drop the full amount, but I could afford to make payments on the bike and when factored out daily it is significantly less that buying one good coffee drink from starbucks a day. You could always spend more and take up smoking :)

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into joining a masters swim club.... [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:

Absolutely. Join.

In fact we just had a Kona party at someone’s house... all of our families came, we’ve been swimming for 5-10 years together and have become close friends (and rivals!!)

Well I am 1 for 3 haha
Would be nice as I just moved here to meet like minded people and not just people that like to go out every night (Finance makes people drink A LOT for some reason)
to the humble pie comment - oh Ive eaten that. No shame in being the new guy with no clue.

looks like Im gonna be paying another monthly bill haha
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into joining a masters swim club.... [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
Absolutely. Join.

I've been a member of USMS for many years. No Kona parties here b/c none of my Masters friends are tri guys but we do have a monthly swim dinner at a local Mexican restaurant that has been going on, every month, for 20 years now, plus the usual holiday parties, and B-day parties for our 80 and over members. Furthermore, never been to a Masters meet where there were not social activities every night.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply