Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMC 2018: Pemberton back?
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this has been discussed ... but I'm looking at the 2018 IMC site, and the bike course seems to now include Pemberton. was there a recent change of heart from the town? I thought this was dead.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC 2018: Pemberton back? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
O_o

ironman.com lists the race as:

Subaru IRONMAN Canada Whistler/Pemberton, BC, Canada

Edit: never mind I'm an idiot. the RD was here telling us 1st hand that the contract with Whistler was extended through I think it was 2020. We also know that Challenge Pemberton is no more. That's all we know for sure until there's further announcements.

Personally I suspect there is a possibility of two WTC races next year, in Whistler and in Pemberton, IF they think there would be enough registrations for both.

Last edited by: Dilbert: Oct 17, 17 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: IMC 2018: Pemberton back? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And are effusive in their recognition of the people of Pemberton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re confusing Pemberton with Penticton.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IMC 2018: Pemberton back? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All those damn confusing Canadian towns....

Isn't the rumor that they're re-tooling the bike to avoid Pemberton next year?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC 2018: Pemberton back? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
All those damn confusing Canadian towns....

Isn't the rumor that they're re-tooling the bike to avoid Pemberton next year?

That was the rumour, but the 2018 course map has the race going through Pemberton. Considering it would be easy to say "we are in the process of finalizing " if there was to be a new course, it seems to be that there must have been some kind of agreement reached.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the Pemberton TdF draft festival will be back :)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC 2018: Pemberton back? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
You’re confusing Pemberton with Penticton.
LOL haha indeed I was. Pemberton is the town just north of whistler. So this is IM emphasizing that the full is also passing through Pemberton. Probably a change they agreed to made after the complaints past 2 years. It's an attempt to get at least some athletes to lodge up there instead of Whistler. (PS: it won't work.)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC 2018: Pemberton back? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is that section notorious for drafting? i didn't see too much in 2016. But it was hot as all heck in that valley.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC 2018: Pemberton back? [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was in 2013.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC 2018: Pemberton back? [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steve25 wrote:
is that section notorious for drafting? i didn't see too much in 2016. But it was hot as all heck in that valley.
2016 was just hot. Temps in whistler were about 86F. Probably hotter in that valley. To add insult to injury, DoT just repaved sections of the sea to sky mere weeks before the race. Brand new black top on those 3 or 4 climbs out of Pemberton back to Whistler were radiating heat. I blew up and ran only 7 miles before jogging/walking to finish. 2015 was rainy and cold. This year was perfect on race day. Three days after the race it got to almost 100F. Whistler race appears to be a weather lottery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
steve25 wrote:

2016 was just hot. Temps in whistler were about 86F. Probably hotter in that valley. To add insult to injury, DoT just repaved sections of the sea to sky mere weeks before the race. Brand new black top on those 3 or 4 climbs out of Pemberton back to Whistler were radiating heat. I blew up and ran only 7 miles before jogging/walking to finish. 2015 was rainy and cold. This year was perfect on race day. Three days after the race it got to almost 100F. Whistler race appears to be a weather lottery.

Did you read my RR for 2016? I think we had the same race. I was getting sick from that new asphalt. Definitely overbiked and cramped up on run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard triple loop "up top." I.e. callaghan and back. No descent to the NE.

I'm a bit bummed about its exclusion. Made the race a real challenge and, DAMN, that valley is beautiful to ride a bike in.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course hasn't changed since last year's race. It is still the same course. They probably won't update it until until a month or 2 out from the race. That is my experience with other IM races that had course changes.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC 2018: Pemberton back? [b.will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race location has been updated from just Whistler to Whistler/Pemberton. With that in mind, I doubt they will change the course and omit Pemberton after giving their little hamlet host credit. An uninformed guess is that getting their town as host was all the bone they needed to put them back in the pro IM camp. It's a beautiful course for those that haven't been there. Not real happy about having to climb out of that valley though.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply