Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How old is still viable for a TT bike? [BLD 25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2010 Scott plasma 2 frame. I love it. There's actually few present day TT-frames that I would consider buying. I love having a threaded bottom bracket and I still don't trust any pressfit bottom brackets. Even low-end bikes come with pressfit BB's now.

I think the sweet spot for used bikes currently is the felt b16 2009-2013.

For me, if you're sticking with mechanical, 10-speed is a better option. It's a lot more difficult to index 11-speed gearing. Plus, you get to save a shit tonne of money on wheelsets. My bike/wheel (hed jet 6/9) cost a total of $1000 canadian. I bought $4-500 worth of upgrades (new aero bars/stem, saddle, cables, crankset) and I would compare my bike with any recently manufactured bike that doesn't have an integrated headset or a custom stem. I ride PRO missile alloy bars with a Missile Evo stem.

The only thing I find where my bike is lacking is top tube storage bosses and tire clearance. I have 24c tires and I doubt I could fit 25's which is crazy
Quote Reply
Re: How old is still viable for a TT bike? [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the help. I have found a couple BMC TT (TT02, and TT03) frames that have piqued my interest, are they any good? Some stuff I read like a bikeradar review at the time was good, and others said they weren't as aero as others
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you can put together something really fast on a budget shopping used. I don't use my TT bike often, but when I do I need it to be fast. I have had luck with an old P3C, didn't like the P5, and now have a P4 evo (2011 model). You can find these frames for a bargain. If they fit you, then they are FAST. Oh, and the brake just fine when adjusted properly. Again, if it fits, the 3T Ventus 1 or 2 are slippery bars. I have changed mine since this photo to use the 15 degree rise Zipp extensions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This should help answer your questions:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8RrY_TRtezdc2pYSHJ1cVllUjQ/view

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How old is still viable for a TT bike? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
This should help answer your questions:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8RrY_TRtezdc2pYSHJ1cVllUjQ/view

Pretty cool read......but more so if I was in the market for a $10,000 superbike. The, "old " bike they compared these new superbikes to was a couple year old felt B series. Neat stuff though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan posted his picture in the best long course position thread from back when he was riding his old P3SL with an aluminum vision cockpit... That setup is probably better than the majority of new stuff you can buy for 5-10x the price.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How old is still viable for a TT bike? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any thoughts about that BMC TT TT02 or TT03?
Quote Reply
Re: How old is still viable for a TT bike? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
I have an old aluminum P3 (circa 2004?) and, set up properly, I'd bet it's still faster than many bikes currently being sold. I upgraded to a P4 because I got a smokin' deal on a frameset but I wouldn't hesitate to race an aluminum P3. They can probably be found for <$500.

+1

I still race on a 2002 AluP3. I picked it up super cheap but it needed paint. Just had it painted flat black and it looks great.

If someone is looking at getting into tri and wants a good value bike I wouldn't hesitate to help them look for one. Someone else said that the P3C is the benchmark, but I'd even go back to the aluP3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any bike that 1.) fits you and 2.) is built intelligently will be a massive improvement. Several years ago I bought a 2005 Dual frame on the classified for a song and had a ghetto but very tight build on it that probably cost less than $600 all in (wheels re-used). The old alloy Cervelo frames (P2/P3SL) are where the super value is at if you're not a full time triathlete. Some of the older P2C/P3C frames can be had pretty cheap as well and are ripe for modding.

If you're not looking to spend a lot, the older frames make a really fun challenge to get a savvy build done on the cheap. ST is full of great examples of such builds, some of which have already been posted in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: How old is still viable for a TT bike? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
jkatsoudas wrote:
I have an old aluminum P3 (circa 2004?) and, set up properly, I'd bet it's still faster than many bikes currently being sold. I upgraded to a P4 because I got a smokin' deal on a frameset but I wouldn't hesitate to race an aluminum P3. They can probably be found for <$500.

+1

I still race on a 2002 AluP3. I picked it up super cheap but it needed paint. Just had it painted flat black and it looks great.

If someone is looking at getting into tri and wants a good value bike I wouldn't hesitate to help them look for one. Someone else said that the P3C is the benchmark, but I'd even go back to the aluP3.

I saw a P3C at Pro's Closet for 450ish yesterday.

The P3C, especially with the newer fork is about 10 watts faster than the aluminum P3. Tom A's blog has a great article where they compared the two bikes to see what a cool Carbon frame was worth. TheSpecialized Transition is a safe bet as well. It got a lot of bogus press when it first and out, but it was actually faster than the P3C, though so much of this depended on the bar/stem combo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on your flexibility, I think you could fit into a TT bike through your 50s?

Oh, wait ...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in your OP you said you were looking for a cheap TT bike.

The big point you missed or I'm guessing you might have missed based upon your response to the paper, the main takeaway of that paper is that with an older less expensive bike & some after market parts you can make that older TT bike nearly comparable to the best bikes today.

I'm pretty confident in my abilities to take an older bike, mod it out and have it destroy some of these recent $10k+ bikes aerodynamically.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How old is still viable for a TT bike? [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
The original P3c is the benchmark. Anything older than that is an aero brick and should be upgraded.

For the triathlon history buffs. Who did this bike belong to?

If going for a P3c the 2011/2012 years have the P4 fork.

+1. I have a 2011 P3 and love it. I'm sure newer bikes are more aero off the shelf, but at that price, you can spend more customizing it after a pro fit. Bought it used on eBay for ~$1750 in 2014. I think they're closer to $1,000 - $1,200 now.
Quote Reply
Re: How old is still viable for a TT bike? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
in your OP you said you were looking for a cheap TT bike.

The big point you missed or I'm guessing you might have missed based upon your response to the paper, the main takeaway of that paper is that with an older less expensive bike & some after market parts you can make that older TT bike nearly comparable to the best bikes today.

I'm pretty confident in my abilities to take an older bike, mod it out and have it destroy some of these recent $10k+ bikes aerodynamically.

true, but as I said, i didn't see them compare the bikes to anything other than a 2013 B series, which probably still stomps TT bikes from the 05-09 period, but I do see your point that as long as it is a TT bike and set up well, it should still be good. :)
Quote Reply
Re: How old is still viable for a TT bike? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
jkatsoudas wrote:

+1

I am riding a 2005 P3SL. Tens of thousands of km and still looks pretty new because of the anodized surface.
Any tips on making it more compliant at the seat post - I usually train on mtb bikes and my back/bum is taking a hit after long TT rides.

Thx

[ The sign of intelligence is you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in their life. - Vasudev ]
Quote Reply
Re: How old is still viable for a TT bike? [planetsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
planetsbr wrote:
I am riding a 2005 P3SL. Tens of thousands of km and still looks pretty new because of the anodized surface.
Any tips on making it more compliant at the seat post - I usually train on mtb bikes and my back/bum is taking a hit after long TT rides.

Thx

Honestly, no. That's the *only* thing I didn't like about the AluP3 - it was a pretty punishing ride for training. You can go with 25's and lower pressures for training, and that helps a bit but it requires monkeying with the set screws in the horizontal dropouts. I ended up doing more of my training on my road bike than I otherwise would have. That's the main reason I even considered upgrading to the P4.
Quote Reply
Re: How far old is still viable for a TT bike? [Alaric83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alaric83 wrote:
n=1, I have a 2008 Cervelo (carbon) P3 that I've been quite happy with. I imagine that a comparable used bike would be relatively affordable.

I'm usually top 3-4 in cat 3's, so I can't be a complete brick in the wind on it at least.

I currently have a P5 and I still contend it's hard to beat that P3C - it's an awesome rig. Heck, I think the P3A is still a fast bike!!
Quote Reply
Re: How old is still viable for a TT bike? [planetsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my P3SL so much that I can't get rid of it, but I can't actually bring myself to ride it either. It is HARSH. I even did this years (non-serious) TT effort on my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMC makes good bikes, but I am not familiar with those in particular.

Do you have parts that you are planning on building the bike up with? Or looking to buy a complete bike, or bike and parts?

When buying used parts/bikes, you almost have to assume you will need new cables and housing (and bar wrap).

Fit wise, plan on buying a new stem and saddle, and make sure the steering tube on the fork has not been cut too short.

After that, chain, cassette, chain rings, jockey wheels, headset and bottom bracket bearings are all items that you could be shelling out for.

Worst case scenario, you could end up spending more than the bike is worth.
Quote Reply

Prev Next