Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Honest Question: Can triathlon survive it's integrity and logistical issues? [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some of the things you are trying to address, isn't this what LifeTime Triathlons are trying to accomplish in 2018? Some of your issues are already widely known and trying to be worked on by a whole race series, not just one race director.
Quote Reply
Re: Honest Question: Can triathlon survive it's integrity and logistical issues? [albertok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is LTF series trying to address?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Honest Question: Can triathlon survive it's integrity and logistical issues? [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe Triathlon isn't meant to be a mainstream sport. It's actually pretty demanding, so why would someone naturally choose that over say golf, or soccer?

It's not for everyone, or in fact most people.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Honest Question: Can triathlon survive it's integrity and logistical issues? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
What is LTF series trying to address?

Posted July 12, 2017:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...me_Changes_6445.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long have you been involved in triathlon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think these logistic and integrity issues are new? Triathlon has gone through boom periods in the past despite the issues you've raised. I'm not sure it will ever fully recover, but I suspect that as the millennials age, it will make a bit of a comeback.
Quote Reply
Re: Honest Question: Can triathlon survive it's integrity and logistical issues? [albertok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that, but what is LTF doing to improve the issues of the OP. No membership fee?

All I read that LTF is doing is A- no "membership" fee you have to pay USAT. B-in race penalties C- what else is different? AG money awards?

I will all but gurantee you, you wont be "saving" money by doing an LTF race, they can say they are "saving" you money in the form of 1 day license fee, but you aren't getting a "cheaper" race, no way in hell that is going to be the case.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 18, 17 8:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said in July, LTF is smart, it doesn't need an governing body because it's already it's own brand/business. Having already it's own insurance policy, all these races will be done is grandfathered into an policy. Now what will be funny is that LTF will essentially likely follow (and/or copy it) the USAT (or ITU) rule book for races, but simply update with in race penalties. They are big enough and have the resources to do it on their own. WTC can do the same thing, but I'm guessing it's easier to save face and "work" with the national governing body than not too (especially for a race that is a "world championship" even if it's a private company just as LTF is).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Honest Question: Can triathlon survive it's integrity and logistical issues? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Maybe Triathlon isn't meant to be a mainstream sport. It's actually pretty demanding, so why would someone naturally choose that over say golf, or soccer?

THIS^^^^^ Triathlon will never be a mass participation sport simply b/c it is too frigging hard. People can enter the local 5K, 10K, and even half mary and just go out and do it. They may walk a lot and finish the 13.1 in over 3 hours but hey, they had a nice long chat with whomever. Most people, unless they have a strong competitive swimming background, and they're also under say 40, can't just show up and finish an Oly dist tri, much less a half iron or an iron-length race. And most people don't want to train enough to "comfortably" finish an Oly, half, or full iron tri. They may do it once just to say they did it but they won't stick with the sport over the years.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Honest Question: Can triathlon survive it's integrity and logistical issues? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It comes and goes.
There has just been a hugely successful Tri period in my country, but now its finding its natural level.

But in these times i would guess Tri will stay relevant for a certain group. It is all about self fulfillment, bragging rights, showing how awesome your are, what better place to show this than tri? Prove you can do it and post it on Instagram. The issue with this might be that most wont commit for many years, but hey out of 100 IM maybe 25 will continue in the sport because they find out they really like it?

Also there is a very big market yet to be explored! Females in tri/Ironman. It is still a very male dominated sport, but more and more women are starting to do tri, so that is awesome as well.

The biggest issue with Tri is not money. So many people have plenty of money to do tri if they want to (on different budgets of course). But time investment. Having smaller kids (0-11 years), and IM training, i just don't see it work. But i think that is fine, suddenly the kids are big and you have extra time, maybe to dive into the sport with your wife/husband. Having a sport for grown ups is not necessarily a bad thing i guess?
Quote Reply
Re: Honest Question: Can triathlon survive it's integrity and logistical issues? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
It is all about self fulfillment, bragging rights, showing how awesome your are, what better place to show this than tri? Prove you can do it and post it on Instagram.

No doubt, but I would imagine this group probably don't frequent ST or other Triathlon forums.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Honest Question: Can triathlon survive it's integrity and logistical issues? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
lassekk wrote:
It is all about self fulfillment, bragging rights, showing how awesome your are, what better place to show this than tri? Prove you can do it and post it on Instagram.

No doubt, but I would imagine this group probably don't frequent ST or other Triathlon forums.

I hardly think so either, but maybe I'm missing your point? The author says Tri is "dying", my counter argument would be that Tri fits perfectly with the increased focus on self exposure on social media.
Quote Reply
Re: Honest Question: Can triathlon survive it's integrity and logistical issues? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
It comes and goes.
There has just been a hugely successful Tri period in my country, but now its finding its natural level.
But in these times i would guess Tri will stay relevant for a certain group. It is all about self fulfillment, bragging rights, showing how awesome your are, what better place to show this than tri? Prove you can do it and post it on Instagram. The issue with this might be that most wont commit for many years, but hey out of 100 IM maybe 25 will continue in the sport because they find out they really like it?
Also there is a very big market yet to be explored! Females in tri/Ironman. It is still a very male dominated sport, but more and more women are starting to do tri, so that is awesome as well.
The biggest issue with Tri is not money. So many people have plenty of money to do tri if they want to (on different budgets of course). But time investment. Having smaller kids (0-11 years), and IM training, i just don't see it work. But i think that is fine, suddenly the kids are big and you have extra time, maybe to dive into the sport with your wife/husband. Having a sport for grown ups is not necessarily a bad thing i guess?

Well, if you have a spouse who is also a swimmer/runner/triathlete, or a swim coach, then it is much easier for both to get their training done and trade off the child care duties. I've known a couple of guys who had this arrangement but obv everyone may not have that luxury. Also though, you could always just do sprint distance triathlons on 5 hr/wk of training, and/or Oly dist on 10 hr/wk; tri is not just IM racing. :)

Also, JOOC, in what country do you live???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lifejustice wrote:
I have long stood behind making triathlon seem awesome to other people. I have gotten other people involved in the sport and really tried to make it more legitimate to those around me.

This post is bullshit.

You begin by saying you want to help increase grass-roots level participation in triathlon?
But then you long-windedly bemoan cheating at the pointy end of AG competition.

Which do you care more about?
Boosting participation, or boosting your AG placing(s)?

Those are two totally different objectives.
The grass-roots participant could care less whether an over-eager AG FOP'er cuts a swim buoy.

And if ppl are too scared to do bike training on open roads?. Then they need to find a bike path to train on.
And/or re-think their participation in any cycling-related athletic event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:

100% dead on accurate.

If I wanted to do something everyone is capable of, I'd take up golf or shuffleboard, maybe ultimate Frisbee? I was drawn to triathlon because of the challenge and difficulty. If it was easy, I'd have already lost interest. I'm ok with participation being flat or even declining. I'm also OK with having to travel to races. At the end of the day, I'd rather associate with authentic athletes that are passionate about what they're doing.
Last edited by: MJGuswiler: Oct 19, 17 16:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next