Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NFL meets the players union - how will the Anthem saga play out? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"Maybe I'm missing the point but I'm confused why you would compare NFL players to Rosa Parks. Are the players protesting laws that only apply to people of color? "

Missing the point? I'd call it being obtuse. The protest is against police brutality toward blacks. The fact that police brutality is illegal but they do it and get away with it anyway doesn't make it any better. And no one believes for a second that you'd be okay with it happening to you or your family simply because its not legal.

I am against police brutality. People need to name names and provide evidence so police officers can be held accountable. We have seen many cases where the media ran with a false narrative or a half truth. If I were a cop I would want a body cam.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL meets the players union - how will the Anthem saga play out? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"I said nothing of the sort and jumping to conclusions only aids in closing the lines of dialogue. "

You said that you think its a bad form of protest. It seems that EVERY form of protest that blacks come up with is a bad form of protest. No one here ever complains about the problems that blacks have to deal with, but they spend a shit load of bandwidth complaining about how annoying their causes are.

The logical extension of that is a) they are incapable of figuring out how to protest and b) that you and others are much more concerned about that than you are about finding a solution to their problems.

You don't just get to consistently display that and then deny it when I point it out.

I don't pretend to speak for everyone or all black protests and I don't know how you could reach the conclusions you have without making huge assumptions. All I have said is that I don't think kneeling during the anthem is a good form of protest. The reason is because it offends or alienates the majority of the population and I believe that keeps them from hearing the message behind the protest. For what it's worth I think many protests lack a clear message and a desired action. A good example is Occupy Wall Street. What was their message and what did they want?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You said that you think its a bad form of protest. It seems that EVERY form of protest that blacks come up with is a bad form of protest. No one here ever complains about the problems that blacks have to deal with, but they spend a shit load of bandwidth complaining about how annoying their causes are.

The logical extension of that is a) they are incapable of figuring out how to protest and b) that you and others are much more concerned about that than you are about finding a solution to their problems.

Have you considered the possibility that people are annoyed by the fact that so many social justice protests appear to be build on a false or exaggerated premise that paints everyone else as the enemy or oppressor, while largely ignoring or downplaying the factors that, given proper attention and prioritization, would largely alleviate the problems being protested?

There is no form of protest that people will endorse if they don't endorse the premise.

I'm annoyed by the Hands Up Don't Shoot protests, and all that it spawned, for how it unfairly labels law enforcement as racist killers enforcing the mandate of a racist society. I'm annoyed by modern intersectional feminists and the distorted reality they create for themselves while demanding that I bear the responsibility to fix it. It really boils down to this. It's not anti-woman, or anti-minority, or anti-anything except anti-self righteous bullshit that exacerbates what problems already exist.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Oct 19, 17 8:14
Quote Reply
Re: NFL meets the players union - how will the Anthem saga play out? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

Have you considered the possibility that people are annoyed by the fact that so many social justice protests appear to be build on a false or exaggerated premise that paints everyone else as the enemy or oppressor, while largely ignoring or downplaying the factors that, given proper attention and prioritization, would largely alleviate the problems being protested?

I'm annoyed by the Hands Up Don't Shoot protests for how it unfairly labels law enforcement as racist killers. I'm annoyed by modern intersectional feminists and the distorted reality they create for themselves while demanding that I bear the responsibility to fix it. It really boils down to this. It's not anti-woman, or anti-minority, or anti-anything except anti-bullshit that exacerbates what problems already exist.

Like most SJWs, Barry has a single laser-like focus on his own social justice battle. That's why he trolled the LR just after the #metoo "campaign" began.

Yea, it's all becoming very tiring and the annoyed need to mock and ridicule the SJWs or we'll lose the war. Okay, war is an extreme term to us... but it's not to them.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL meets the players union - how will the Anthem saga play out? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a useful concept in persuasion: win people to you, and you'll win them to your argument. So much of how it's done lately has pretty much the opposite effect, of pushing people away from causes they're inclined to support with repulsive arguments and tactics.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: NFL meets the players union - how will the Anthem saga play out? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the best solution just to stop playing the National Anthem at these events?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the vast majority of the social justice issues boil down to this: Identify laws that discriminate against a particular groups of people or provide specific instances of of discrimination. That allows me and others to stand against that discrimination with you. Too many people speak vaguely to issues, like racism and sexism, as though it's some nameless, faceless entity working against them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy will sort out this anthem crap,...

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: NFL meets the players union - how will the Anthem saga play out? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Maybe he was afraid of getting turf stains on his pants. And, you have to understand, that is not a flag, that is a beach towel that just looks like a flag.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Have you considered the possibility that people are annoyed by the fact that so many social justice protests appear to be build on a false or exaggerated premise that paints everyone else as the enemy or oppressor, while largely ignoring or downplaying the factors that, given proper attention and prioritization, would largely alleviate the problems being protested? "

How can I miss it? It seems to be a hot topic everywhere I go. As I said, black people being annoying tends to work its way to the top of the priority list. Black people having to deal with real problems doesn't.

"Yeah, but those black people are REALLY annoying," doesn't change that fact.

"I'm annoyed by the Hands Up Don't Shoot protests, and all that it spawned, for how it unfairly labels law enforcement as racist killers enforcing the mandate of a racist society."

And I'm annoyed that one of my best friends got the shit beat out of him by a bunch of cops for minding his own business while being black, or that my friend's neighbor gets pulled over once a month for being black while driving a Mercedes. Yes, its sad that people overreact and over exaggerate racism in our justice system. Hands Up, Don't Shoot was spawned by the Ferguson incident and there was misinformation that was being spread. Do you remember what else happened? The police left a dead body in the streets for several hours. They had been unfairly harassing the blacks in Fergusson, probably since the slaves were freed, but certainly consistently in the last few decades. They handled the peaceful protests very poorly, and most importantly the investigation found that the Ferguson police department did, in fact, have a problem with racism.

But what happened with that incident, like with any incident, is that people pick through all the facts and only seem to care about the ones where the black people did something wrong. Or they pick through all of the viral incidents of racism in police / detainee altercations and only focus on the ones where, in fact, the black guy did something wrong. Hands Up Don't Shoot? What about Hey, I Have a Permit for a Gun?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Last edited by: BarryP: Oct 23, 17 14:09
Quote Reply
Re: NFL meets the players union - how will the Anthem saga play out? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
... that is not a flag. That is a beach towel that just looks like a flag.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
or that my friend's neighbor gets pulled over once a week for being black while driving a Mercedes.

I have a really hard time believing that's not a gross exaggeration or straight up lie. Where does your friend live ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: NFL meets the players union - how will the Anthem saga play out? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

'MURICA!!!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"Have you considered the possibility that people are annoyed by the fact that so many social justice protests appear to be build on a false or exaggerated premise that paints everyone else as the enemy or oppressor, while largely ignoring or downplaying the factors that, given proper attention and prioritization, would largely alleviate the problems being protested? "

How can I miss it? It seems to be a hot topic everywhere I go. As I said, black people being annoying tends to work its way to the top of the priority list. Black people having to deal with real problems doesn't.

"Yeah, but those black people are REALLY annoying," doesn't change that fact.

"I'm annoyed by the Hands Up Don't Shoot protests, and all that it spawned, for how it unfairly labels law enforcement as racist killers enforcing the mandate of a racist society."

And I'm annoyed that one of my best friends got the shit beat out of him by a bunch of cops for minding his own business while being black, or that

my friend's neighbor gets pulled over once a month for being black while driving a Mercedes.

Yes,

its sad that people overreact and over exaggerate

racism in our justice system. Hands Up, Don't Shoot was spawned by the Ferguson incident and there was misinformation that was being spread. Do you remember what else happened? The police left a dead body in the streets for several hours. They had been unfairly harassing the blacks in Fergusson, probably since the slaves were freed, but certainly consistently in the last few decades. They handled the peaceful protests very poorly, and most importantly the investigation found that the Ferguson police department did, in fact, have a problem with racism.

But what happened with that incident, like with any incident, is that people pick through all the facts and only seem to care about the ones where the black people did something wrong. Or they pick through all of the viral incidents of racism in police / detainee altercations and only focus on the ones where, in fact, the black guy did something wrong. Hands Up Don't Shoot? What about Hey, I Have a Permit for a Gun?

I thought the two statements I highlighted, were, what's the word I'm looking for Barry?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: NFL meets the players union - how will the Anthem saga play out? [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm reporting what he tells me. I have no idea how many times he gets pulled over. Is it actually 12 times a year? Maybe its only 6 times a year? Maybe its 4 times a year?

Nevertheless, you aren't concerned with the fact that he's being needlessly harassed for being a black guy driving a nice car in a rural white town. You're concerned with the fact that YOU *think* he's over exaggerating how bad the problem is.

Priorities:
1) Black people need to figure out how to properly protest
2) All black people need to stop lying all the time
3) Something else blacks are probably doing wrong
57) Help figure out the problem with racism once we've straightened out the problems that black people are causing

Quote Reply
Re: NFL meets the players union - how will the Anthem saga play out? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have a really hard time believing that's not a gross exaggeration or straight up lie. Where does your friend live ? "

That was a typo. I meant once a month. He lives in a rural white town in Delaware where the small black population is poor/working class. He's retired from NYC, lives in a 3500 sq ft house and drives really nice Mercedes.

Do they actually pull him over once a month? Is it once every other month?

I've been pulled over for something frivolous once in my life (a strap from my bike rack obscuring my license plate). The point is, lets say he over exaggerates 4x. He's still getting pulled over 100x more than I do. What's the bigger concern? The exaggeration or the racism? In this forum it certainly seems to be the latter (and this is based on a hypothetical where we assume he's even exaggerating at all).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What's the bigger concern? The exaggeration or the racism?

I'd say the bigger concern is exaggeration to promote racism. But since you said it was a typo that's a mute point.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"I have a really hard time believing that's not a gross exaggeration or straight up lie. Where does your friend live ? "

That was a typo. I meant once a month. He lives in a rural white town in Delaware where the small black population is poor/working class. He's retired from NYC, lives in a 3500 sq ft house and drives really nice Mercedes.

I've been pulled over for something frivolous once in my life (a strap from my bike rack obscuring my license plate). The point is, lets say he over exaggerates 4x. He's still getting pulled over 100x more than I do. What's the bigger concern? The exaggeration or the racism? In this forum it certainly seems to be the latter (and this is based on a hypothetical where we assume he's even exaggerating at all).

What's the solution? What can someone like me (white as they come) do about it? Has your friend reported or complained to the police dept? I'm being serious. I have no doubt that shit like that happens all the time but I seriously don't know what I can do about it other than to have your friend file a complaint. Does he document it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

I think Orphious touched on it but what has your friend done? Has he made any complaints? What was the reason stated he was pulled over? What was your friend doing when he was pulled over? Do the police have some sort of reminder to pull him over once every month?

Oh, btw, I think the word we were looking for to describe your earlier post, might have been irony. :)

If your friend is indeed being racially targeted as you "claim", if he isn't taking steps to have the police's behavior corrected, he too is part of the problem.

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: NFL meets the players union - how will the Anthem saga play out? [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If your friend is indeed being racially targeted as you "claim", if he isn't taking steps to have the police's behavior corrected, he too is part of the problem. "

Let me summarize the recent thread:

Me: You guys don't care about racism, only about what problems black people are causing.
LR: Yeah, but ignoring everything else you wrote, black people are really annoying.
Me: Yet another example of you looking for problems with blacks. Hey, I know a guy who gets pulled over by the police once a month for driving while being black,
LR: Lets see.....black guy gets pulled over a lot.....well....hey, did he report it? Because if not, HE TOO IS PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Are you guys not getting this, or do you just not care. Every subject that involves racism, you guys just really really dig and try to figure out what it is black people are doing wrong. Hell, the last two complaints were based entirely on hypotheticals. He *might* be over exaggerating and he *might* not be reporting it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"If your friend is indeed being racially targeted as you "claim", if he isn't taking steps to have the police's behavior corrected, he too is part of the problem. "

Let me summarize the recent thread:

Me: You guys don't care about racism, only about what problems black people are causing.
LR: Yeah, but ignoring everything else you wrote, black people are really annoying.
Me: Yet another example of you looking for problems with blacks. Hey, I know a guy who gets pulled over by the police once a month for driving while being black,
LR: Lets see.....black guy gets pulled over a lot.....well....hey, did he report it? Because if not, HE TOO IS PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Are you guys not getting this, or do you just not care. Every subject that involves racism, you guys just really really dig and try to figure out what it is black people are doing wrong. Hell, the last two complaints were based entirely on hypotheticals. He *might* be over exaggerating and he *might* not be reporting it.

Rather than characterize what the general theme in this thread is, share with us.

1. It sounds like you don't actually believe he is pulled over by the police for being black, each and every month?

2. When he tells you he is pulled over each and every month, what is your response? Do you ask him anything? Does he say anything else about being pulled over. You're great at making shit up, how about sharing with us, more of the dialog about your friend and his monthly police interaction?

Please share some details.

If a person has an opportunity to correct a wrong and elects to do nothing, is he part of the solution?

I know there is racism in the US, there always has been and sadly, I think there always will be, imo, it's not nearly as bad today as it was 40 to 50 years ago. I think it will continue to be less of an issue as time passes.It shouldn't be tolerated and should be addressed on the spot when each of us sees it happening.

On the other hand, the instance of people like you who see racism around ever corner and make race bating, like you and slowman don't do a thing to improve anything for anyone, but I guess if it makes you feel some sort of superiority that's your prerogative. Just don't expect rational thinking individuals to buy into it.

Quote Reply

Prev Next