Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recover from Food Poisoning 5 Days From IM 70.3?
Quote | Reply
So I am running my 1st 70.3 this weekend. Had food Poisoning last two days. Best way to recover and can I get 100% by then?
Quote Reply
Re: Recover from Food Poisoning 5 Days From IM 70.3? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least you will get down to race weight!

Best advice I have is to try to stay hydrated.
Quote Reply
Re: Recover from Food Poisoning 5 Days From IM 70.3? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well you should be in taper this week anyway. Relax. Rest. Race day fitness will be 100% unaffected assuming your body takes care of poisoning by race day. It should. Food poisoning symptoms typically lasts about 3 days in my experience, with another day or two to get back to feeling normal. You'll probably lose 5-8 lbs. Make sure your nutrition is dialed in. Proper dinner day before, proper breakfast.
Quote Reply
Re: Recover from Food Poisoning 5 Days From IM 70.3? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Well you should be in taper this week anyway. Relax. Rest. Race day fitness will be 100% unaffected assuming your body takes care of poisoning by race day. It should. Food poisoning symptoms typically lasts about 3 days in my experience, with another day or two to get back to feeling normal. You'll probably lose 5-8 lbs. Make sure your nutrition is dialed in. Proper dinner day before, proper breakfast.
=============================================================
ALL of this. and i speak from experience.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. Should I try to increase my calories to rebuild strength? I'm now feeling better and starving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, and catch up on your fluid intakes too. If it all comes back out again... well... just be near a bathroom and hang in there a little longer. It should be over about now, and you got another 4 days to raceday. You'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year, I got food poisoning three days before a HIM. I lost 6 lbs in those three days, which definitely did not do me any favors. I drank a lot of Pedialyte to keep my electrolytes balanced and to stay hydrated. By the day before the race, I could keep food down (but not, ahem, in) and ate whatever I could. I wish that I had carried more of my own nutrition on the course instead of depending on what the race provided. If you are still having problems on race day, try eating boiled potatoes instead of gels during the race. They are really easy to digest and are a good source of calories.

Good luck, and plan on going slower on race day. Your body has been through a lot from the food poisoning, but if you trust your training and control your pacing, you will be OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take some immodium race morning, just to be safe
Quote Reply