Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Connect Workout versus Activity
Quote | Reply
I'm new to Garmin. I use a Forerunner 935 and an iPhone 6. I would like to plan my strength workouts (weight lifting++) using Garmin Connect and then record what I actually do. I probably don't need to include the 935 for this at all.

But I don't get the distinction between a Workout and an Activity. I use the 935 to record my runs, cycling, and swimming (as activities) but using the 935 seems to be crazy for strength workouts.

So the strength record keeping I can do directly with on my iPhone with Garmin connect - no???
And what is the best way to do it?
TIA, Allan
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Connect Workout versus Activity [lombardi3g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So two separate questions here. First - logging strength workouts. Sometimes I track them on my 735 just to track HR. Other times I just create manual activities in Garmin Connect. Either way works.

As far as workouts vs activities, I use workouts a ton for swimming and running. Let's say you want to do a run w/ a 10 minute warm up, then 5 rounds of 5 minutes in z3 / 3 minutes recovery, and a 10 minute cool down. You simply create a workout with each of those intervals. You can set your interval targets by pace, HR, whatever. When it comes time to do the workout you simply queue it up and then follow what it tells you to do. If you've set targets (pace, HR, etc) the watch will beep at you if you're outside your target range. So you can really tune out and not have to be looking down the whole time. They're great.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Connect Workout versus Activity [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so it sounds like Workouts necessarily involve the watch - how do I view Workouts on my watch that have been downloaded into my 935 - I can't find the word 'Workout' anywhere on the watch screens.

For activities, I left out "manual", as in "manual activities". Sounds like using manual activities will allow me to avoid involving the watch and input directly into Garmin Connect via my iPhone (or the web page).

So I would appreciate a tip on accessing Workouts on my 935, TIA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Fenix 5 not a 935 but I believe the interface is pretty much the same. Go to Run, then hold down the Menu button which gives you access to "Run Settings" and "Training". In Training you can access Workouts, Intervals, lactate threshold tests, etc. You'll need to create workouts in Garmin Connect and sync them though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin lingo:

Activity: The recording of any bit of exercise with a start and stop time
Workout: A structured bit of exercise where the user is given specific targets to hit (i.e. structured custom intervals)

Said differently, Activity is what you and I would normally call a workout, and workout is something structured.

As a side note however, the FR935 recently got the rep counting feature, which is ideal for strength/weight room workouts. It was introduced this past spring on some lower end devices, but just got added to the FR935 on Sept 21st: http://www8.garmin.com/...details.jsp?id=11495

It will automatically count reps, and then allow you to confirm/correct them as well as add/specify weights for each set. It'll then give you some pretty charts on Garmin Connect.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Activity = something that you have done

Workout = something that you plan to do

You can record an activity such as a swim/bike/run/strength session on your watch or just create a manual note of it on Garmin Connect and stick in values whatever key stats you want to keep track of.

A workout is a structured plan for a session (e.g. for a run workout - warm up 10 mins, run hard 2 min, rest 3 mins, repeat 5x...whatever) that you can then execute using your watch.

For me, there's not that much point in actually recording strength workouts with the watch; unless you're keen on tracking heart rate or exact time spent doing them, then it's kinda pointless; I'd just create a manual activity on Garmin Connect for each one that I do in order to keep track.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Connect Workout versus Activity [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All very helpful - thank you. So to record my daily routine of 10 exercises (as I am actually working through the 10) I will be using "Create Manual Activity" on my iPhone (no reason to involve the FR935 for this bc the data can go straight into the iPhone while I rest between exercises).

But having to rebuild this list of 10 exercises everyday will be a pain - is there a way to duplicate a Manual Activity (like you can duplicate a Workout) ??
Quote Reply