Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman apparently an 'Amateur Sport' in Canada... [Halfcrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halfcrazy wrote:
Agreed, we are very much a hockey nation, followed closely by the NFL and MLB ( some years more than others).

I don't know about MLB and NFL. There is close to zero interest in these in Montreal. It's 99.99% hockey. Even more in regions, where CHL reigns supreme after the NHL.

But yeah. I was curious to see if there was a mention of Sanders on RDS (French sports network). Under "Amateur" sports as well. At least there was something! TBH though, with all the hype from IMMT/IMMT70.3, I was surprised that there wasn't more details though.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman apparently an 'Amateur Sport' in Canada... [TDOT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TDOT wrote:
Not too surprising...the Star has never been all that big on publishing "facts"...

I don't know what you mean.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman apparently an 'Amateur Sport' in Canada... [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rj_tri wrote:
I would love to see Lionel get the due he deserves in our country. He's a generational level athlete, engaging personality and has an amazing story.
Instead we get endless stories about early season hockey games.

If they are not going to give me Kona, at least give me endless early season stories about Champion's League, or at least Premier League or Bundesliga....failing that I will take NFL or even the MLB playoffs....early season MLB and NBA = snooooooze! At least I just flicked over from Ottawa Senators vs Vancouver Canucks to Real Madrid vs Tottenham Hotspurs while I have endless Kona video replays running on my computer.

On a related note as I watched the video replay rather than NHL games, who would believe that Lionel can run that fast with that crazy limp going on. It almost looked like there is something wrong with the nerve feeding his hamstring and also his dorsiflex. Neither were complete on his left side. Its almost like his glute was compressing his sciatic nerve or there is something going on that is funky at the hamstring/glute insertion point holding him back from properly completing his stride and finishing/recovering with one leg.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman apparently an 'Amateur Sport' in Canada... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Frenchietries wrote:
Brent Mcmahon got sting by a box jellyfish??? I think this deserves more than a line... Box jellyfish can be deadly. holy shit!

Although I am unsure whether climate change is having any effect on distribution, the deadliest sub-species aren't around Hawai'i (no reported deaths due to the sting of a box jelly in Hawai'i, these are mostly Winged Box Jellies - Carybdea Alata). The baddest ones are usually around philippines to australia. Not to say this wasn't dangerous, i think they can be temporarily paralyzing depending on how big they are and it sure must hurt, drowning can be a real concern. Read somewhere the scar can last for years...
The worst one's are Irukandji which are really tiny.
In Australia they use nets to protect popular bathing beaches from jellyfish. They thought large box jellyfish were responsible for the really bad stings that happened from time to time but were confused that the nets didn't seem to help much with avoiding the worst stings. No-one had realised that the tiny Irukandji were responsible and were easily small enough to pass straight through the nets. So when it comes to jellyfish, bigger isn't necessarily worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman apparently an 'Amateur Sport' in Canada... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
How much do you make?
Well if I finish on the podium something like $5000-$10,000 per race.
What do you do?
I swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Then run a marathon.

How much do you make?
10 million dollars a year.
What do you do?
I grab the ball and I'm runnin' back!

How much do you make?
$70,000
What do you do?
Trying to cure cancer.

How much do you make?
What do you do?

How much do you make?
$80,000
What do you do?
Fly a plane full of people around the world.

How much do you make?
What do you do?

How much do you make?
$90,000
What do you do?
Making a better smartphone

How much do you make?
What do you do?

If 60,000 people show up and pay to watch those other occupations along with billion dollar TV contracts where they are the product and the labor.....they deserve 10 million as well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next