Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Newbie Ironman (North America)?
Quote | Reply
I know this question gets asked a lot, forgive me...

What's your recommendation for the best North American Ironman for a first timer?

My criteria are:

a) wetsuit legal swim, preferably not ocean
b) flattish bike and run
c) not too hot, not too cold, not too windy

Any other criteria i should thinking about?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Newbie Ironman (North America)? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Arizona fits your criteria.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maryland. Flat as a pancake. wetsuit swim in brackish water. great race director and first timer programs throughout the week. The most support for first timers at any race I've been to.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Newbie Ironman (North America)? [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcchampion11 wrote:
Maryland. Flat as a pancake. wetsuit swim in brackish water. great race director and first timer programs throughout the week. The most support for first timers at any race I've been to.

You can get crushed with the wind in October on the Eastern Shore. Also shitty luck with weather two of the last three years.

But, yes indeed good first timer race. Also usually cool and totally flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Florida

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My criteria are:

b) flattish bike and run

Are you prepared for an Ironman?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll let you know my thoughts on Florida as a first IM in 20 days.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: Best Newbie Ironman (North America)? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> Are you prepared for an Ironman?

Do you ever really know the answer to that question until you try? :-)

I'm not a tri-newbie. I've done maybe 30 olympics and four 70.3s since I started 6 years ago. And I'll do Oceanside 70.3 and Santa Cruz 70.3 in 2018. But at age 56, and with a hectic job, moving up to IM will be a challenge. So I'm looking for all the help I can get!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Newbie Ironman (North America)? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Sounds like Arizona fits your criteria.

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Newbie Ironman (North America)? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Except it has an ocean swim and can be hot and windy. But one out of three ain't bad.
Callin' wrote:
Florida
Last edited by: imsparticus: Oct 16, 17 10:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should probably do Lanzarote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say Santa Rosa or Arizona. Both have predictable weather (for the most part). Santa Rosa is a bit more difficult bike course than Arizona and I am not sure how the remaining effect of the fires will affect the race in April. Taking that into consideration may make Arizona your best bet. For me personally I hate doing races so late in the year as AZ and FL. FL and Maryland are total crap shoots because of the weather and/or crazy sea conditions so plan on those at your risk. My next full IM is planned for Santa Rosa on 2019.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Newbie Ironman (North America)? [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was my understanding that being in November, the hot weather usually wasn't a factor for IM Florida. And the ocean swim was a preference, not a requirement

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Oct 16, 17 11:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a tri-newbie. I've done maybe 30 olympics and four 70.3s since I started 6 years ago. And I'll do Oceanside 70.3 and Santa Cruz 70.3 in 2018. But at age 56, and with a hectic job, moving up to IM will be a challenge.

We are the same age and based on what you've done vs. what I have in the past 6 years, you should be more than prepared...

Based on my experience, you shouldn't pick a course because it might be "easier". There are the odd exceptions but for almost all of the races, the course is made "difficult" or "easy" based on weather. A flat course could be made very difficult with a strong wind and heat, a hilly course could be much easier with a tailwind etc., etc.

If it's your first IM, pick one where you will enjoy the course or the town or one your family would like to visit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are worried about the swim then Chattanooga. It is a current assisted swim there.

If you are worried about bike then Florida or Arizona.

Don't worry about the run. As a first timer you'll jog it at 9/min mile if you are lucky. If you aren't lucky you'll be walking.

Maryland looks great on paper but the weather is wretched.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:
My criteria are:

b) flattish bike and run

I know a flat bike seems like a good idea but having some nice climbs - long is better than steep - is really, really nice so you aren't in the exact same position for 112 miles. I've vote for IM Canada way before Miami.

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly I believe you are looking at things the wrong way. This isn't supposed to be easy. No race is going to meet all three of your criteria. And at least for me, the weather is more of a factor than anything else. Take IM Louisville for example. I would say that is the best bet for easier swim and run (mostly down river swim and very flat run). Bike is hilly but I personally really like the bike course. Last year the weather was basically perfect. This year, the wind was just hellacious. IM Chattanooga was like 100 degrees last year and was relatively mild this year. You should pick the race that speaks to you then train for the course.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Newbie Ironman (North America)? [geoffreydean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geoffreydean wrote:
smallard wrote:

My criteria are:

b) flattish bike and run

I know a flat bike seems like a good idea but having some nice climbs - long is better than steep - is really, really nice so you aren't in the exact same position for 112 miles. I've vote for IM Canada way before Miami.
Agreed but holy shit Whistler? Gentle long climbs are great. Rollers are great. A few short but steep climbs are great. To, as you said, break up the monotony of riding in the same position in the same gear for 112 miles. But whistler has all of those, and then some. No part of that course is flat. It is a brutal bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NOT Louisville. Those hills on the bike suck. And the wind yesterday sucked even more.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Newbie Ironman (North America)? [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Florida was my first and probably least favorite. The bike was one big loop, nothing to look at and super flat. I wasn't used to being in the aerobars the entire ride. Weather was nice, in the high 70's low 80's no humidity. Water was really calm. Run wasn't bad, mostly through neighborhoods. I think it was the bike that turned me off. Great Pizza place right down the road from the start. The Purple Mushroom or something like that.
Quote Reply