Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why Weren't the Marines Sent to Europe in WWII? This is Why
Quote | Reply
They tried it. It was too unfair to the poor Nazis. ;-)

These 4 Marines killed so many Germans, the Nazis thought they were an entire Allied battalion.

"On Aug. 1, 1944, less than two months after D-Day, Marine Maj. Peter J. Ortiz, five other Marines, and an Army Air Corps officer parachuted into France to assist a few hundred French resistance fighters known as the Maquis in their fight against the Germans. Ortiz had already worked and trained with the Maquis in occupied France from Jan. to May 1944.

When the fighters began conducting the ambushes, they were very successful. The exact casualty counts are unknown, but the Maquis and their Marine handlers inflicted so much damage so quickly that German intelligence believed an allied battalion had jumped in to assist the resistance instead of only six Marines and a soldier."

These 4 Marines killed so many Germans, the Nazis thought they were an entire allied batallion - YouTube

Read more about Major Ortiz and his efforts behind enemy lines with the Maquis in World War II: http://www.wearethemighty.com/article...

Now this Marine is what a "heartbreaker and a life taker" looks like. :-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Why Weren't the Marines Sent to Europe in WWII? This is Why [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should sent in these four of these guys in earlier so the Brits would never have been evacuated at Dunkirk and the war would have ended a few years earlier. Of course John Wayne would have needed to be their commander. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Why Weren't the Marines Sent to Europe in WWII? This is Why [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Should sent in these four of these guys in earlier so the Brits would never have been evacuated at Dunkirk and the war would have ended a few years earlier. Of course John Wayne would have needed to be their commander. :-)

The Duke would have won the war by himself. While romancing Maureen O'Hara. Duh. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Why Weren't the Marines Sent to Europe in WWII? This is Why [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send in Chuck Norris with him and the carnage is unthinkable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good story. Reminds of the one about this guy in WWI:

Quote Reply
Re: Why Weren't the Marines Sent to Europe in WWII? This is Why [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Good story. Reminds of the one about this guy in WWI:

Sgt M-Fn York!

One of my favorite all time movies too.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just about every nation's military needs to perpetuate a mythos of invincibility. If the enemy believes even a little that your soldiers are better they are more likely to capitulate without armed conflict, or surrender more quickly. Similarly you own troops are more likely to fight and not surrender if they believe that their side is imbued with something that makes them better than the enemy. This has been basic PSYOP since the army of Uggg the Hairy convinced the army of Grunt the Cave Dweller that their spear-men could single-handedly defeat a dozen club men.

I'm sure that the North Koreans have an entire collection of songs, movies, books and stories about how their poor and rag-tag army drove the rich and well armed US army down south of the 38th parallel in 1950. I'm sure their version is that their people are braver, better trained, and guided by God (or a Kim, in this case).
Another example is Israel. When I hear astounding stories of how the Mosad executed some miraculous mission that would make James Bond shake with envy, I take it with a granary of salt, knowing that the only purpose of sharing operational mission info is to psych out your opponents and psych up your people.

As important as these PSYOP propaganda pieces are to maintaining military strength, they can be a double edged sword. They can lull a nation into complacency - making them believe that they are large and in charge because their people are somehow better and braver, their strategies and tactics are smarter and their technology and armament is better. Consider the the French in 1940. The Chinese Empire in 1270's. The Carthaginians in 200 BC.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Why Weren't the Marines Sent to Europe in WWII? This is Why [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Just about every nation's military needs to perpetuate a mythos of invincibility. If the enemy believes even a little that your soldiers are better they are more likely to capitulate without armed conflict, or surrender more quickly. Similarly you own troops are more likely to fight and not surrender if they believe that their side is imbued with something that makes them better than the enemy. This has been basic PSYOP since the army of Uggg the Hairy convinced the army of Grunt the Cave Dweller that their spear-men could single-handedly defeat a dozen club men.

I'm sure that the North Koreans have an entire collection of songs, movies, books and stories about how their poor and rag-tag army drove the rich and well armed US army down south of the 38th parallel in 1950. I'm sure their version is that their people are braver, better trained, and guided by God (or a Kim, in this case).
Another example is Israel. When I hear astounding stories of how the Mosad executed some miraculous mission that would make James Bond shake with envy, I take it with a granary of salt, knowing that the only purpose of sharing operational mission info is to psych out your opponents and psych up your people.

As important as these PSYOP propaganda pieces are to maintaining military strength, they can be a double edged sword. They can lull a nation into complacency - making them believe that they are large and in charge because their people are somehow better and braver, their strategies and tactics are smarter and their technology and armament is better. Consider the the French in 1940. The Chinese Empire in 1270's. The Carthaginians in 200 BC.

All I know is, you can ask the Germans about the Marines at Belleau Wood in WWI. Or the fanatic Japanese about them at Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and a dozen other Pacific Islands in WWII. Or ask the Chinese about the Chosin Reservoir in Korea, or any of a hundred other places going back to the Battle of Dema ("To the shores of Tripoli..."). It's one hell of a mythos, I'd say.

As long as the Marine Corps doesn't lose its razor-sharp edge we'll always have the edge. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Marines, not German soldiers, coin the phrase ‘Devil Dogs’?
Indeed, a Marine Corps magazine, reported in April 1918 that Germans referred to Marines as “teufel hunden,” two months before Belleau Wood, according to Aquilina. The word “Teufelhunden” is a combination of the German words for “devil” and “dogs,” or “Teufel” and “Hunde.” But the possessive form of “Teufel” is “Teufels,” and the plural of “Hund” is “Hunde,” not “Hunden,” suggesting that whoever came up with the word wasn’t a native German speaker.
The National Museum of the Marine Corps refers to the origin of the term “Devil Dogs” as tradition, which is not the same as truth, said Patrick Mooney, visitor services chief at the museum.
“We have no proof that it came from German troops though tradition says it came from German troops referring to Marines,” he said. “There is no written document in German that says that the Marines are Devil Dogs or any correct spelling or language component of ‘Devil Dog’ in German.”
The Rumor Doctor also reached out to the German army’s Military History Research Institute to talk about old times.
“I never heard anyone using the word ‘Teufelshund’ or ‘Teufelshunde’ in Germany,” said institute spokesman Lt. Col. Heiner Bröckermann in an e-mail. “Using Google in Germany I found to my surprise that ‘Teufelshund’ (in the mention of the devils pet) is used today by German witchcraft gamers and role players, but I think this is a rather new wording of the computer gamers and role player communities.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

All I know is, you can ask the Germans about the Marines at Belleau Wood in WWI. Or the fanatic Japanese about them at Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and a dozen other Pacific Islands in WWII. Or ask the Chinese about the Chosin Reservoir in Korea, or any of a hundred other places going back to the Battle of Dema ("To the shores of Tripoli..."). It's one hell of a mythos, I'd say.

As long as the Marine Corps doesn't lose its razor-sharp edge we'll always have the edge. ;-)

Chosin Reservoir... isn't this where the Marines motto "Retreat Hell! We're just attacking in another direction" come from?
Quote Reply