Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

lap swimming Atlanta
Quote | Reply
Moving to Decatur, GA and looking for recommendations on where to go for lap swim. Looks like ymca in Decatur are best options but wanted to check here to see if people had other recommendations for lap swimming in the Atlanta area.
Quote Reply
Re: lap swimming Atlanta [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about other options in Decatur beside the Y but if your daily routine has you more in the city than in Decatur, it might be worth checking out the City of Atlanta Natatoriums. The yearly pass is cheap even for non-residents. The MLK location should be finished soon and that's the one closest to Decatur..
Quote Reply
Re: lap swimming Atlanta [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly the info I was looking for. I’ll have to see the availability of lanes at the Decatur Y because that would be my go to but the Atlanta natatoriums look great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decatur Y is crazy busy and the pool is multi-use, for lessons, water aerobics, etc. Check the schedule before you go. East Lake YMCA could be a better option depending upon where in Decatur you live. It's a newer facility and the pool has a "lagoon" for other activities, freeing up the lanes for laps. Atlanta area Y membership will give you access to both. Decatur LA Fitness is super cheap but hit and miss, with water walkers and general lack of etiquette, and only 3 lanes. Dynamo is not far from Decatur and is an exceptional facility. Emory used to have community swimming but not sure where that stands now, might be worth checking out. They have a great outdoor 50m pool at Clairmont campus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emory has masters but a bit crowded during varsity swim season ( very early morning or later at 5-7pm but ltd on number of evenings; but from apr 1 to oct 30, you can lap swim at Emory SAAC outdoor pool (requires membership but is reasonable for full yr) and swim at Emory main pool at morning 715 to 845 mwf lunchtime or evenings but kids are there in evening.

Google Emory community swim.

Agnes Scott also has community program but fewer hours and is indoors only and water tends to be warm?

The y caters to old folks and only has 4 lanes.
Quote Reply
Re: lap swimming Atlanta [Kroppduster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just following up on this. So far I’ve had decent luck at Decatur Y. I just try to pick a time when they list 3 laps lanes listed. I’ve gone at lunch and in the evening. Granted I’ve mostly been doing shorter 30 minute sessions but I’ve only had to share a lane once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Just following up on this. So far I’ve had decent luck at Decatur Y. I just try to pick a time when they list 3 laps lanes listed. I’ve gone at lunch and in the evening. Granted I’ve mostly been doing shorter 30 minute sessions but I’ve only had to share a lane once.

I have a friend that lives in the area and they like the SAAC pool mentioned by Tyrod1 as nice option to check out. They said you can pay a daily guest pass.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: May 14, 18 7:39
Quote Reply