Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best way to cook rack of lamb?
Quote | Reply
I picked up a beautiful rack of lamb from my butcher the other day. Complete impulse purchase. I love lamb, but don't usually get the bone in rack.

Last time I cooked one, which must have been ten years ago, I think I did some grainy mustard type crust, roasted it, and had some kind of red wine reduction sauce.

I'm completely open to ideas here. Would like to serve with your basic fall roasted veggies.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to cook rack of lamb? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grilled with real mint jelly (make it at home), root vegetables, and good wine.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to cook rack of lamb? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mint jelly. Tell me more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do it the Jean-Georges style. Strip the tenderloin off the rack, coat with dried mushrooms, sear on all sides, and put it in the oven for about 8 minutes.

Blanch some leeks and then blend them with butter, salt, and pepper. That is your sauce.

You can garnish with some sauteed mushrooms and leeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of these days I'm going to get brave and try lamb again. Last time I had any was in the staff caf @ Sunshine Village. Your mustard paste sounds interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I picked up a beautiful rack of lamb from my butcher the other day. Complete impulse purchase. I love lamb, but don't usually get the bone in rack.

Last time I cooked one, which must have been ten years ago, I think I did some grainy mustard type crust, roasted it, and had some kind of red wine reduction sauce.

I'm completely open to ideas here. Would like to serve with your basic fall roasted veggies.

Yeah mustard and crumbs are a bit old school, try searing the rack in a screaming hot cast iron pan then put a rub on consisting of flat leaf parsley fresh thyme fresh rosemary ground pink salt and course ground pepper, finish in the oven to desired doneness I suggest 120 F, let stand for about 10 minutes slice drizzle with a bit of olive oil and have at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peel off the fat cap a shave off the silver . French the bones.
make a mixture of bread crumbs moistened with olive oil and tossed with minced garlic. parsley, salt and black pepper.
Sear the the rack in brown butter and oil.
cool it a bit and smear with dijon mustard....roll it in the crumbs and then bake it at 375 for about 15 minutes..... let it rest for at least 5 minutes...slice and serve immediatley.

If you want mint ..get some fresh mint and do an apple mint compote

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to cook rack of lamb? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dad hails from the hill towns of south eastern Italy. When I was growing up, having lamb meant diced cubes of lamb shoulder on a skewer, sprinkled with rosemary, salt, and good olive oil, grilled over charcoal in the summer. It's still my favourite way to eat lamb. Simple and delicious.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Mint jelly. Tell me more.

http://www.seriouseats.com/...nt-jelly-recipe.html

Traditional accompaniment for lamb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
My dad hails from the hill towns of south eastern Italy. When I was growing up, having lamb meant diced cubes of lamb shoulder on a skewer, sprinkled with rosemary, salt, and good olive oil, grilled over charcoal in the summer. It's still my favourite way to eat lamb. Simple and delicious.

That sounds awesome. Actually all these sound awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

That sounds awesome. Actually all these sound awesome.

It is awesome. The first time I went to italy to meet my dad's family, I will never forget the lamb we had. My uncles had this set up where they had a ten foot length of 10" diameter cast iron or metal pipe that had been halved, length wise, on legs. They filled it with coals and the skewers rested on the edges of the pipe. You could cook like 100 skewers at a time, and believe me, there was several hundred cooked and served along side fresh breads and pizzas right out of the back yard stone oven, hand made pasta dishes, hearty white bean spreads, cured meats, sharp cheeses, etc.

My dad was one of 9 kids. Most of them had multiple kids. There was well over 100 family members there, and we ate and drank from around 11:30 in the morning until well past dinner. One of my fondest memories.

There are a lot of messed up things about Italy, but it's hard to deny that they have perfected the art of eating, drinking, and living well!

Last edited by: BCtriguy1: Oct 15, 17 12:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A head of garlic, lots of rosemary, olive oil, and salt and pepper as a rub. 475 degree oven.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Common sense tells me I should not invite any of you rowdy bunch of LR members into my home, but I would make an exception if it means you'd cook for me. Some talented cooks out there! I do not enjoy cooking, but I enjoy people who do 😊
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to cook rack of lamb? [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
Common sense tells me I should not invite any of you rowdy bunch of LR members into my home, but I would make an exception if it means you'd cook for me. Some talented cooks out there! I do not enjoy cooking, but I enjoy people who do 😊

If you'll drink Negronis and wine you can come over whenever you want and I'll cook.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a done deal! ðŸ˜
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as 10" pipe goes, I'm pretty sure I have the right connections. Can a 10' chunk of 10" sched 40 be a carry on when flying an Air Canada Q400 from Calgary to Victoria?
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to cook rack of lamb? [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a LR potluck somewhere would be awesome. There are a lot of really interesting people who contribute here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a potluck, I'd probably make red beans and rice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Throw a plantain in there and you have Cuba's national dish ;-).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

Throw a plantain in there and you have Cuba's national dish ;-).

I throw in smoked sausage and serve it with hurricanes
Quote Reply