Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prediction: Starky breaks 4h in IMLOU bike tomorrow
Quote | Reply
20mph tailwind for the better part of the course, and then a 30 mile net descent just as the wind flips on the return to town.

https://www.windy.com/...-18,38.271,-85.540,9
Quote Reply
Re: Prediction: Starky breaks 4h in IMLOU bike tomorrow [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
20mph tailwind for the better part of the course, and then a 30 mile net descent just as the wind flips on the return to town.

https://www.windy.com/...-18,38.271,-85.540,9

That will be interesting - cool web site!
Quote Reply
Re: Prediction: Starky breaks 4h in IMLOU bike tomorrow [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, right? In fairness, I found it in the 'wind at Havi' thread, but it is such a good visualization.
Quote Reply
Re: Prediction: Starky breaks 4h in IMLOU bike tomorrow [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I saw the thread title I thought "that's not the course I'd think of for sub 4:00" but damn that wind setup has "record" written all over it. Starky could go sub 8:00 with a 3:00 marathon!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like he rode a 4:08. A few miles in the run his lead over 2nd is holding steady (8-10 min). Did he change up his strategy where he did not feel that he needs to overbike to get a huge advantage for the run?
Quote Reply
Re: Prediction: Starky breaks 4h in IMLOU bike tomorrow [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
Looks like he rode a 4:08. A few miles in the run his lead over 2nd is holding steady (8-10 min). Did he change up his strategy where he did not feel that he needs to over-bike to get a huge advantage for the run?

IDK whether he has changed his strategy or not but Cal Millward who finished 2nd OA did run about 14 min faster, but Starky had a 22 min lead over Cal at the end of the bike.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Prediction: Starky breaks 4h in IMLOU bike tomorrow [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Anton84 wrote:
Looks like he rode a 4:08. A few miles in the run his lead over 2nd is holding steady (8-10 min). Did he change up his strategy where he did not feel that he needs to over-bike to get a huge advantage for the run?

IDK whether he has changed his strategy or not but Cal Millward who finished 2nd OA did run about 14 min faster, but Starky had a 22 min lead over Cal at the end of the bike.

Yeah he will never have the fastest run split, but he does win Ironman's. I think this was his 3rd Ironman (distance) win? His "tagline" is "fast enough to be called champion". I don't think he plans or has the desire to be a fast runner, he just wants to be a fast Ironman athlete, which he is.

It's pretty impressive what he has overcome over his career to have some of these results, most notably the past year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
Looks like he rode a 4:08. A few miles in the run his lead over 2nd is holding steady (8-10 min). Did he change up his strategy where he did not feel that he needs to overbike to get a huge advantage for the run?

I think people have this mis understanding of Starky and his abilities (I used to be one of them). I no longer think he over bikes or ever has from what I remember. He is never going to be fast runner like his competitors. On his best day, he can run 1:17-1:19 at a 70.3 (he’s done well at some races with some low 1:2x splits too). For almost every other triathlete out there (except for starky), those run splits are just not going to cut it in the pro ranks. I honesty believe that if he gave up 3-5 minutes on the bike in a 70.3, he would run just barely faster.... maybe 1-2 minutes. He’s a big dude... like 185 lbs big. He’s not going to run 1:10 anytime soon. On those races that he has “blown up”.... from what I can remember he’s mostly been injured for those races (not much run training) or he’s injured himself during the race (IMTX 2016). So he gets a bad rap on here for blowing up but I now feel it’s really unjustified as folks don’t have the full story or picture. He’s a faster triathlete the way he races.... not the way folks on here think he should.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Prediction: Starky breaks 4h in IMLOU bike tomorrow [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Anton84 wrote:

I think people have this mis understanding of Starky and his abilities (I used to be one of them). I no longer think he over bikes or ever has from what I remember. He is never going to be fast runner like his competitors. On his best day, he can run 1:17-1:19 at a 70.3 (he’s done well at some races with some low 1:2x splits too). For almost every other triathlete out there (except for starky), those run splits are just not going to cut it in the pro ranks. I honesty believe that if he gave up 3-5 minutes on the bike in a 70.3, he would run just barely faster.... maybe 1-2 minutes. He’s a big dude... like 185 lbs big. He’s not going to run 1:10 anytime soon. On those races that he has “blown up”.... from what I can remember he’s mostly been injured for those races (not much run training) or he’s injured himself during the race (IMTX 2016). So he gets a bad rap on here for blowing up but I now feel it’s really unjustified as folks don’t have the full story or picture. He’s a faster triathlete the way he races.... not the way folks on here think he should.
This is exactly the misunderstanding that people have of Bjorn as well, and it holds true there. If he would have biked 5-10 min slower, he would not run faster by the same amount.
With Starky I agree he will never be a fast runner, but I think he also has overbiked a few times to his own abilities as well leading to walking the run.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply