Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training mat for bike trainers
Quote | Reply
What do you use for a training mat? I have a gym mat and yoga mat and when I look at the bike trainer mats they want 50 GBP. I just think "its just a training mat its not that complicated and it shouldn't cost that much". Therefore I decided to ask the resident experts there. I am pretty much decided on which trainer and a mat (already have a fan) but it seems silly to spend that much (not being cheap just practical).

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Training mat for bike trainers [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought an extra-thick yoga mat on ebay for around $8 shipped- works perfectly!
Quote Reply
Re: Training mat for bike trainers [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds great I have two so will just put them on top of each other. :) Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't want to use your yoga mats, these are great and cheap: https://www.harborfreight.com/...m-mat-set-94635.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a combination depending on the floor used. Marine/boat carpet that goes over top of carpet nicely (and waterproof), trainer mats on hard flooring/concrete, and proper gym flooring in Pain Cave 2.0. The gym flooring is by far the best option.

Whatever the solution, make sure it's waterproof and won't leak into and mould up whatever is under it.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Training mat for bike trainers [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Shane!! Nice to have you respond to my query..and one more thing for you.....Elite Direto vs. Stack Zero? My coach was thinking Direto (direct drive vs. stress on spokes from magnets). I was thinking small and silent (no issues with the missus...very important), what do you think of the Stac Zero?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Direto. I haven't had any hands on with the Stac Zero, but it's a different device: Non-interactive, wheel-on, looks very industrial. The feedback I'm seeing from users on the Direto has been positive.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a scholar and a gentleman....thanks for that!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't use a yoga mat. That's what I've used and recently discovered mold underneath it, as well as what look like water/sweat rings. Maybe mine wasn't waterproof and yours is, but I recommend getting something a little more purpose-built.
Quote Reply
Re: Training mat for bike trainers [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks just found a waterproof one on ebay for 20 GBP aka quid as the Brits would say. :) A thousand thanks to everyone for their feedback. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5' x 3' rubber floor mat. Carpet side down. Doesn't move and the rubber side gives easy cleanup. Under $20.

http://www.homedepot.com/...2-30000500/202072107

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
proper gym flooring in pain cave 2.0
Excuse my ignorance on this, but what constitutes proper gym flooring? I tried to research this a while back but couldn't find an option that does not smell of rubber. What do you recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Training mat for bike trainers [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyCaleb wrote:
Quote:

Excuse my ignorance on this, but what constitutes proper gym flooring? I tried to research this a while back but couldn't find an option that does not smell of rubber. What do you recommend?

Big squares of solid rubber flooring that you can drop weights on. Not sure where smell comes into play (I may have missed it above?).

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'very seen people on another forum.mention a matter from Decathlon around £25 I think.

You maybe able to find something industrial on ebay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Not sure where smell comes into play (I may have missed it above?).
Just that when I've used rubber tiles before they gave off quite a strong odour-- felt like I was working out in a tire factory -- and seen similar complaints in other forum discussions. Probably just need to find a less cheap brand ;)
By the way Shane thanks for your great direto review and tips. Picked one up 2 weeks ago and loving it.
Cowboy thanks for the flooring tip.
Quote Reply
Re: Training mat for bike trainers [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyCaleb wrote:
Quote:

"Proper" gym flooring is nothing more than stall mats that have been cut so that they interlock. You could go to your local feed/tack store and check stall mats, usually 4'x6', in varying thickness. I've used both 3/8" and 3/4". That 3/4" though is VERY heavy.

These are also often made from recycled tires. Thus the smell. It eventually goes away, though.

With all of these, however, there is the issue of mold underneath. Concrete floors are not sealed, in general, and are permeable. Thus, water will come up through them from the ground. If the surface above that concrete doesn't breathe, mold will develop. Same with wood structures suspended over ground. Use the mat, then pull it up when you're done so the floor can breathe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Last edited by: brider: Oct 15, 17 13:03
Quote Reply