Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Santa Rosa fire and housing
Quote | Reply
On the news today it was indicated that an estimated 5% of housing has been lost in the fire. According to the census there are 68,000 housing units, which includes single family and apartments. This is a loss of some 3,400 housing units which totally blows my mind. This does not include the many commercial structures lost. And the fire is not contained.

Re: Santa Rosa fire and housing [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
On the news today it was indicated that an estimated 5% of housing has been lost in the fire. According to the census there are 68,000 housing units, which includes single family and apartments. This is a loss of some 3,400 housing units which totally blows my mind. This does not include the many commercial structures lost. And the fire is not contained.

Imagine all the luxury condos and gated communities that will be built to take advantage of this tragedy. It's a builder's dream.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

Yeah, rental market pressure is already insane in the Bay area, and this certainly doesn't help.

With 'winter' coming up, there will be some scrambling / gouging going on and the State should step in for those in need (no insurance coverage, etc.).
Apparently you can already camp at surrounding State Parks for free if you are affected.

I have heard that the first action of some who lost their homes was to sign a lease for a rental place. Smart thinking, IMO.
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 13, 17 21:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The house that Charles Schulz's widow lived in. Same house he lived in too. Gone So many people only left with the shirts on their backs. So many disasters lately.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Santa Rosa fire and housing [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
gouging going on

If “gouging” is allowed to happen things will be rebuilt much faster.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.facebook.com/...839826827390/?type=3

Quote | Reply
What was really sad to me was looking at the released list of fatalities. All elderly people, except maybe the "youngster" who was 57. Without knowing any of the individual stories, I'd guess they weren't just capable, either physically or mentally, of rapid mobility, and had no one to look out for them.

Certainly my wife and I are updating our "go bag," though we don't live in a terribly risky area (except for earthquake, which is basically most of CA).

I hope people with elderly relatives in the area have put together a game plan.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 14, 17 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Rosa fire and housing [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are reading the stories at breakfast, how are they handling evacuations? Couple of the recent ones had people in cars trying to flee and getting caught. Are the fires moving that fast or are they foolishly staying too long?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply