Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Windy Marathon Strategy (Grand Rapids)
Quote | Reply
I'm running the Grand Rapids (MI) marathon on Sunday. On a perfect day I think I'm trained to run a 3:10 (BQ with room to spare). Sunday there is supposed to be a 20mph headwind for the first 1/2 marathon, tailwind home.

Who has any experience running in windy conditions especially in regard to marathon pace groups?

My prediction is that the pace groups are going to get torn apart. There are 2 groups that I'm eyeing; 3hr and 3:15. I'm guessing the 3:15 will fall behind and never catch up. I'm guessing the same for the 3 hr group, which I would normally let go...but under the conditions, I'm considering "tucking in" and trying to hold on for the 1st half. Maybe get to half in 1:32 and then hopefully ride the wind home with some suffering but room for a 8 min pos. split.

What do you know? Blow up in spectacular fashion or outsmart the weather and preserve a BQ time in unfavorable conditions.

All I know for sure is that a solo effort, pushing for pretty, even splits is not happening on Sunday!

Thanks in advance!
Corey
Quote Reply
Re: Windy Marathon Strategy (Grand Rapids) [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask Nike for the aero tape

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing a 60 mile Gran Fondo in Hastings on Sunday. REALLY not looking forward to that wind.

I've done a 10k run in similar situations. Not much you can do other than draft. Sounds odd to say but I could instantly tell the difference from in the group and outside the group. I also had a headache from wind noise in my ears. It was bad. Wish I had worn earbuds.

Good luck this weekend. Looks like the real shitty weather moved to Saturday.

MI TRI wrote:
I'm running the Grand Rapids (MI) marathon on Sunday. On a perfect day I think I'm trained to run a 3:10 (BQ with room to spare). Sunday there is supposed to be a 20mph headwind for the first 1/2 marathon, tailwind home.

Who has any experience running in windy conditions especially in regard to marathon pace groups?

My prediction is that the pace groups are going to get torn apart. There are 2 groups that I'm eyeing; 3hr and 3:15. I'm guessing the 3:15 will fall behind and never catch up. I'm guessing the same for the 3 hr group, which I would normally let go...but under the conditions, I'm considering "tucking in" and trying to hold on for the 1st half. Maybe get to half in 1:32 and then hopefully ride the wind home with some suffering but room for a 8 min pos. split.

What do you know? Blow up in spectacular fashion or outsmart the weather and preserve a BQ time in unfavorable conditions.

All I know for sure is that a solo effort, pushing for pretty, even splits is not happening on Sunday!

Thanks in advance!
Corey

Quote | Reply
Some extra bouncy shoes too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk to the pace group leaders. See if they are planning on running even splits or playing to the wind. If the 3:05 guy is planning on a 1:29 first half, you'd be in a tough group. If he's planning on a 1:32:30...perhaps that's a perfect plan.

My best HM was the same setup. There was a great group of 6 guys that rotated in/out of the wind every quarter mile or so. We ran 2 side by side in the front and people got to rest in tow. Unfortunately, there were about 10 people in this peloton. If you refuse to take a turn in the wind, don't be surprised if a snot rocket or elbow comes your way.
Once we hit the turnaround, the tailwind was magical. Everyone just spread out and enjoyed an easy negative split.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year’s philly full was crazy brutally windy, though with the turns it wasn’t consistent head or tail. While it was tough getting buffeted, I don’t think it affected my time much if at all. The bigger issue was temp control...when running tail it was hot, then you turn into a headwind and freeze. Depending on the air temp I’d consider wearing a wind breaker or extra layer on top and gloves for the headwind half and pitching them at the turnaround.
Quote Reply
Re: Windy Marathon Strategy (Grand Rapids) [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So did you qualify? Watched my girlfriend run it today and it was pretty heinous all day.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply