Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Here's you combo pack of the day; guns and dogs
Quote | Reply
http://www.news-leader.com/...-pet-neck/758021001/

This right after Springfield passed a pit bull ordinance banning them from the city (phased in over time, blah, blah, blah, usual disclaimers, etc.)
Quote Reply
Re: Here's you combo pack of the day; guns and dogs [daleagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you mean by 'combo pack', but it looks to me like the guy did what he had to. I think I would have done the same thing in the same circumstances.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Here's you combo pack of the day; guns and dogs [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if there's two topics* to get the LR riled up it's gun and dogs, so here's a story that gets both of them.

* OK, three, but we're too far south to have a moose show up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pitbulls can be incredibly violent. Doesn't surprise me that this one needed to be shot.

We live in the middle of town. Folks walk, run, bike down our street all the time.

10+yrs ago I pulled up in front of the house with the kids strapped into their "car seats". There was a couple ladies walking by walking a big lab on a leash. One lady had a baby in a stroller. There was a grade-schooler on his bike with them.

As I was pulling the kids out of my truck, they family was a couple houses down. It's a duplex rental. Suddenly there's a commotion and I look up to see a dog come flying out of the rental and attack the dog on the leash. The ferocity of the attack was, well, shocking. The ladies were helpless to intervene. The lab was immediately on the ground in a death struggle. There was absolute bedlam in the close quarters battle. The attempts to separate the dogs only resulted in the human getting snapped at by the pitbull. There was blood everywhere.

And to my never ending humiliation, I stood there paralyzed. There was no way I was getting into the middle of that. The pitbull was death on 4 legs. What I really wanted to do was to run in the house, grab the "downstairs pistol", run back out and shoot that goddamned pitbull. But I told myself that this was going to be over in 5secs and it would take me a helova lot longer to get into the house, fetch the pistol and run back out. Besides, once I shot the dog the whole incident would become "crazy man with a gun" which might not go my way. I didn't have a baseball bat by the front door. Wtf else did I have to deal with this, a kitchen knife?

After about 15 long seconds the pitbull's owner, some guy visiting a renter, came running out. He tried hard to separate his dog out, but got bit a couple times doing so. Another neighbor came running up the street with a baseball bat and, between the two of them, they got the pitbull off of the lab, who was by now, all torn to shreds. Whole thing lasted prob 30secs. They rushed the lab to a vet hospital and it survived, but not by much. The kid with the pitbull put the dog in his car and sped away.

I will always be embarrassed that I failed to be useful. Two ladies, a kid, and an infant in peril, not to mention the perfectly innocent lab, and instead of acting instantly to go find a weapon of some type, I talked myself out of it. I will never forget that failure.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Here's you combo pack of the day; guns and dogs [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.cbsnews.com/...-her-instead-police/ Guy tried to shoot pitbull and accidentally shot woman he was trying to save. I think there is so much bedlam with pitbull attack easy to see how it could happen.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Here's you combo pack of the day; guns and dogs [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/...-her-instead-police/ Guy tried to shoot pitbull and accidentally shot woman he was trying to save. I think there is so much bedlam with pitbull attack easy to see how it could happen.

In general terms, sure. But ah, "this is me". Or "was" at any rate. I have decades in the military. I shot competitively for a while. I'm a pretty safe bet to, at point blank range, hit what I aim at.

I'm not saying I'm fabulous. I'm saying that the decision making process, at the time, was free of any worries of shooting a human. Of course, I must concede that no one, in an accidental shooting "thought it would happen".

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Oct 13, 17 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: Here's you combo pack of the day; guns and dogs [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dogs heads are hard. A 22lr to the forhead will kill a steer but not a dog. Need a 30 cal. not sure which handgun calibers would work. A boddy shot would make them bleed out, but how long does that take.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to break up a pit bull attack (big if) grab both back feet and yank them apart as violently as possible. This will dislocate the hips.

Then RNC all day until it dies.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you say the key would be point blank. But the damn pitbulls shake their heads like crazy. Part of their MO. I have often wondered what I would do in that situation and am glad have not had to confront it. As you say also no human involved. Scary stuff

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was out cutting firewood one Fall and when i shut the saw off to start loading wood into the Ranger i heard my dog (Bob the Dog) involved in a heavy fight. I grabbed my .45 and ran thru the woods to find him in a death fight with a coyote. I'm not the worlds best pistol shooter and they were fighting crazy up close and personal. I stepped back and got ready thinking that if the coyote got the upper hand i would have nothing to loose and would take the shot (230gn gold dot goodness the way Samual Colt designed the .45) Somehow Bob pulled a sort of ninja submarine maneuver and got under the coyote and choked him to death. When it was all done Bob kind of staggered off to side a bit all covered in blood and slobber and gave me a very reproachful look like "Dude....WTF! you couldn't make that shot?"

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Here's you combo pack of the day; guns and dogs [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

This is why I am not a fan of the good guy with a gun theory. They might be good guys, but the vast majority aren't qualified guys.

I feel for the guy in the OP. One of my neighbors has a hard time keeping their dogs contained. They don't try very hard and their dogs are pretty adept at escaping. The problem is one of their dogs is aggressive. They have been a bit better at it for the last couple months. The wife came home and I was out in the yard with a shovel running their dog back into their yard after it came after my wife while she was on the mower. I can't remember what I said but it must have gotten the point across that, while I didn't want to hurt their dog, I wasn't going to let it go after us or our dogs.

The aggressive dog is the wife's dog from before they were married. I've talked to the husband about it and he really doesn't like that dog. He probably would buy me a beer if I made them get rid of it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Oct 13, 17 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: Here's you combo pack of the day; guns and dogs [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Dude....WTF! you couldn't make that shot?"

In defense, you could show Bob this movie clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zGVPKoYVtk

Quote Reply
Re: Here's you combo pack of the day; guns and dogs [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
i was out cutting firewood one Fall and when i shut the saw off to start loading wood into the Ranger i heard my dog (Bob the Dog) involved in a heavy fight. I grabbed my .45 and ran thru the woods to find him in a death fight with a coyote. I'm not the worlds best pistol shooter and they were fighting crazy up close and personal. I stepped back and got ready thinking that if the coyote got the upper hand i would have nothing to loose and would take the shot (230gn gold dot goodness the way Samual Colt designed the .45) Somehow Bob pulled a sort of ninja submarine maneuver and got under the coyote and choked him to death. When it was all done Bob kind of staggered off to side a bit all covered in blood and slobber and gave me a very reproachful look like "Dude....WTF! you couldn't make that shot?"

/r

Wow... it's interesting reading someones posts year after year. I've always respected your perspective and opinions, but DAMN I was caught completely off guard with the end... total sniper shot of humor. Kudo's to bob and very cool story. Glad it worked out how it was supposed to... Maybe warning shot would've split em up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daleagain wrote:
Well if there's two topics* to get the LR riled up it's gun and dogs, so here's a story that gets both of them.
Throw in a pickup truck and you'd have a country and western song.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's you combo pack of the day; guns and dogs [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well you have to be drunk the day your Momma got out of prison--but other than that......

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About a year ago my parents neighbors dog got out (aggressive pit) for the second time and went after another neighbors dog (for the second time). Elderly woman and husband walking their small pooch on a leash. It was mayhem. My dad ran out with his pistol, pulled the trigger and his gun jammed and didn't fire. The husband got all bit up, the wife got bit less severely but suffered a heart attack. She survived the heart attack but died within 6 months from complications. The dog was put down. I think the small dog survived but was injured pretty bad. It was a total shit show.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a call a few years ago regarding two pit bulls running loose in a neighborhood. I was graveyard and it was the end of shift with the sun just coming up (most brutal time of the day as you are physically and mentally toast) and kids were starting to come out to walk to bus stops. Arrived in the neighborhood with another unit and started cruising around with my shotgun in my lap loaded with 00 buck. Long story short, I found the two pits after hearing a lady screaming bloody murder. Jammed down there to see these two pit bulls playing tug-o-war with a beautiful black Labrador. Efffing sucked to the max because........this was happening right in front of the living room picture window. The screaming lady was on top of her car in the driveway and her three little kids were standing in the picture window watching these pits literally pull their Labrador in half within feet of them. They were all screaming as was the Labrador as it bled out. I couldn't shoot the dogs for obvious reasons.

After the lab died, it was like a switch was turned off. I was now out of the unit trying to figure out how to kill these savages. I whistled and they ran up to me, their faces covered in blood, but with tails wagging. I opened the back door to my unit and they jumped in. I was so F&^% pissed that I couldn't shoot them as I now had a crowd. Animal control rolled up and took them into custody. Of course no one claimed them.

Never forgot that one. The family had gotten up and the dog wanted out to take a pee. They let it out front, right into the jaws of these two pit bulls. I felt horrible for that family and have hated pit bulls ever since. Didn't help that I've always had Labradors myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.google.com/...-1m-article-1.887924

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fricken' coyotes have started to be a real problem in our area. We live in a rural part of a Milwaukee suburb and the damn things are getting more and more comfortable in populated areas. My neighbor and I both worry about our dogs, although we both have larger dogs. He uses a shotgun. I use an AR. He has dropped 2 of them already. One of them was chasing his lab and the lab thought it was playing with him. So, he was terrified to pull the trigger, but had to b/c the coyote was running down his girl. Fortunately, I have not been confronted with that situation so far.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply